RapmasterT

2013 FFH has foggiest windows ever

I've had my 2013 Fusion Hybrid for a few months and immediately it's become apparent that the windshield defog is the worst of any car I've ever owned or driven in my entire life.

If the climate control is set to windshield only, recirculate is forced off, and windshield is fog free.

If the setting is for windshield plus any other vent, recirculate can be on or off. With recirculate off, all windows slowly fog up. With recirculate on, all windows instantly begin fogging.

It seems like there are two choices, defog the winshield and live with outside highway exhaust smells in the cabin, or constantly switch back and forth manually as the windows get too foggy.

I've owned and driven a lot of cars and I've never seen anything this bad. It's going in for the first oil service soon and I'm going to talk to the dealer about it, but i want to hear from other owners if this is their experience as well, or if what I'm seeing is unusual. I want to hear your feedback either way, thanks!

I have noticed that my windshield fogs faster and requires defogging more often than both my 93 Saturn, and my 09 saturn Outlook. But it's an issue that I happily live with, given this is the most feature packed, technologically savvy vehicle I've ever owned. Minor annoyance.

I just stop breathing on my 60+ mile commute. That works pretty well until I reach the parking lot. Then my windows fog over as I gasp for air.

In all seriousness, I wonder if the moist air from front passengers just gets trapped in the upper dash area due to the angle of the glass. I'm tempted to try something but think that the only real way to address the issue is to live in a warmer climate. Boston's not exactly warm around now.

100% agree, I never had fogging issues in the 2010, or any other car except a small crapbox compact that I hated. I think the ventilation system doesn't allow for good air flow across the dash, so moist air gets trapped there which causes the glass to fog. The moment the defrost is turned on though the AC is on, so lose 3 MPG or let the windows fog.

I discovered though that if you crack the front window a hair so some air can flow, the window doesn't fog as easy, so looks like I might be getting some vent shades in the near future.

Oddly enough, this is the best car I've had experience with when it comes to the fogging window. It clears up fast and doesn't come back. I'm surprised to see so many people with this issue.

It does clear VERY fast...if and only if the defog setting is used and no other vents are active.

The only way I can drive for more than a few minutes without the windows fogging up is to run the climate system in 100% defog mode. That means no recirculation and breathing the exhaust of the car in front of me, and no other vents active so my feet stay cold.

Hmm maybe your right, my side doesn't fog, but my wifes does. Maybe she needs to stop panting.

Oh Wait, WHAT? :puppy_kiss:

How close do you all sit from the windshield? I drive practically from the back seat and have only ever turned on the defrosters once in the 6 months I've owned the car.

The fogging is a free bonus feature. It's all laid out and explained in the "Necking Package" when you bought the vehicle.

OK I feel ripped off now, I received no necking package with mine. Grrrr

This has definitely been a nagging issue for me since I got my 14 HyTi in December, especially since I live in the Seattle area.

It hasn't been cold enough at all in Seattle this winter for this expatriate Alaskan to need climate control as long as I have my coat on.

I want to leave climate control off altogether, but I am constantly having to turn on the defog. My general practice is that as soon as the fog starts on the windshield, I hit the "fan -" button and then the defog button. This turns defog on at the lowest fan setting. Then once all is clear I hit the power button to turn it all off. For now I have temp set at LO and since outside temps haven't hit 60 yet, I'm hopefully only minimally stealing any heat from the engine.

This is probably my biggest beef with the car, no way to VENT. To allow outside air to come on with the fan *off* altogether, and no attempts to control what temperature that air is. I would happily just leave the vent set to point the incoming air at the windshield, which would easily keep the windshield clear and not use any power. It just doesn't seem to be an option.

Just do what i do, set the fan at the lowest setting and set floor and defrost. Keeps the windows clear, and wont impact MPG since it uses little heat.

Dont breath, then you wont fog them up. :) I think what I have noticed is the car is tighter than most cars, so air doesnt circulate through it like other cars do. I remember having some smaller Jap jobs that were like this too. The HVAC system is sealed up pretty good on the Fusions, which can be part of the reason so many are having mold issues, the system traps moisture in it because it has nowhere to go. If air isnt moving through it by the fan it remains stagnant, which is also why the windshield tends to fog.

Just do what i do, set the fan at the lowest setting and set floor and defrost. Keeps the windows clear, and wont impact MPG since it uses little heat.

This is exactly what we do and we have no fogging issues.

I have no idea what makes the windshield so vulnerable to fogging up. My dad's Lexus fogs up sometimes, but never this badly.

As even the "max" defog setting is quite slow, I've taken to keeping a towel in the door compartment so I can speed up the process by wiping.

I wonder if they did something on the 2015+ Fusions to minimize this problem? I rarely have to use the defogger in mine.