lggodwin

Fuel Economy Improvement in New Fusion Hybrids?

There are a number of postings on fuel economy on the 2013 Fusion Hybrid, but most are "spot" or "trend" reports with no indication of rate of change. I am seeking information on improvement over break-in, mileage, etc in that I am not pleased with my fuel economy on my second Hybrid. Off the lot, I got 36 mph and am up to 38.3 over 2000 miles and one month. Any insights as to probability of getting 43+, or at least over 40? On our first '13 Hybrid, we got 40 off the lot and it quickly improved to 43.2 (was in an accident at 4 months and 4200 miles, so ended that history). Otherwise, am extremely pleased with the Hybrid, including walking away with no injuries from the accident in which we were rear ended and our car was a total loss.

I drive a 2013 FFH-SE and usually achieve between 41 and 44 MPG on trips longer than 20 miles... I'm just about to pass 3,000 miles.

I am going to pass 31k miles this week, you can click on my fuelly icon and look at the fill-up and MPG history, as the first few tanks sounds like what you've experienced. You noted this is your second hybrid so you know that weather and driving habits are the biggest factors, with route/terrain also being a big deal too.

Another factor, how many miles were on it when you got it, and how many other people drove it before you. It may need a hard reset and a re-training as a few here did with theirs. My first one was like that, could not get decent no matter what, but my replacement had all of 3 miles on it, and got 47 on the very first trip. Has been doing great ever since too.

Between the Tire size and the amount of "other drivers" miles, the two could factor in to explain what you see. As a few others observed, there is no real "break in" period, but there is a training period, and if not trained well during the first 50 miles and up, it can make a big difference. I hit 12K on mine with no improvement in MPG, it has always been pretty consistent, though now that its cold out, I have seen MPG plummet, making it more difficult to maintain a high average. Still getting better than that first one did by a long shot. It was 19* this morning and I still managed 45 MPG, I think that first one got all of 34 tops at this temp.

If I knew back then what I know now, I could have done the true hard reset and trained the car to see if that would have fixed it, but to late now. ( I still like MyGirl so much better though)

... Another factor might be if you use the eco-cruise mode. When I don't use it, I tend not to achieve the 40+ MPG...

Thank you for the replies. I have delayed posting responses until we passed 3000 miles (now at 3200) in that dealer and Ford claimed we would see dramatic improvement (haven't seen any). With respect to the replies:

* both of our Fusions have had 17" tires

* we use Eco-Cruise

* other drivers not an issue, because there was less than 100 miles on car when we purchased. Wife has been almost 100% driver and type of driving has been very consistent -- in-town.

* have run NitroFill, but just noted PSI at 30, when recommended is 34. Will correct.

* will also check re 'hard reset'

* other drivers not an issue, because there was less than 100 miles on car when we purchased. Wife has been almost 100% driver and type of driving has been very consistent -- in-town.

* have run NitroFill, but just noted PSI at 30, when recommended is 34. Will correct.

There is part of the problem, 30-34 PSI while giving excellent traction also sucks up gas, as it has more tread on the ground and more resistance. I run mine at 44, and have done so on all my Hybrids, I do see a difference of a couple MPG.