wikkid1976

2013 Fusion Hybrid Audio Upgrade

Hey all.

I just had my 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE into a local shop to have the sound system bumped up a notch.

He installed a new amp and sub. Also doing whatever they do to the other speaks to ensure they backing off the bass some.

Systerm sounds quite good, but there's 2 issues.

1. This is a game breaker, and will have to get into the shop again asap. The system works great while parked, or stopped and in drive. But once I pull away from a stop light or whatever, the audio completely cuts out. The car has to be powered down (rebooted) to bring audio back. And again, it works until I start to drive. I'm hoping maybe someone here has an idea what could cause this so I could go into the shop with an idea of what's wrong.

2. The sound quality is drastically better with the doors open, and the trunk open. I'm wondering if this could be a result of the Active Noise Control?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah I would expect it to be a little wonky. I guess I need to research a way of disabling the Active Noise Control. Hopefully temporarily, to see if I can notice a difference.

Edited by wikkid1976

I was able to get it into the shop and they were able to fix the issue of it cutting out when driving.

Now I just need to figure out how to disable the Active Noise Control to see if that`s why the sound just isn`t right.

I`ve found the mics, but they don`t look easily disabled.

To be honest I dont know how many audio installers would have experience with a 2013 Fusion Hybrid. It's just not that common of a car.

He is aware that the ANC is the issue, and I'm very hesitant to to allow any permanent changes (ie: cutting mics) for fear of long term surprises.

As it is, I have confirmed it could be returned to a stock state if needed. But I'd really like to work this issue out.

It's amazing they can have a software based feature that I can't just turn off. Even just to test and see if it solves the problem.

I figured I'd post here in hopes I'm not the only fella getting his audio upgraded, and maybe having seen the issue before.

Edited by wikkid1976

Hrm, I should take a look at that. I wonder, however, what "radio" means. Kinda vague. Just am/fm? Sirius? Whole head unit?

I wouldn't want to pull the fuse and find it creates a whole new problem.

Edited by wikkid1976

Lol, thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at it shortly as I have to head out for a bit.

Hopefully no side effects to pulling it and putting it back in if something needed doesn't power up.

Yeah, shame they didn't just code an off switch.

Ahh well, as I get it sorted, I'll keep this post updated. Just in case anyone else has the same issues.

And who knows, maybe it'll catch the attention of a car audio pro who's done this and feels like sharing some advice. :)

This is why I chose to not go this route with the SE and just live with the poor gas mileage. I figured by the time all the parts were thrown at it and finally worked around the ANC and other things It would cost more than the difference of the HyTi.

I had to choose between Titanium, or Hybrid. Couldn't find a car with both in a reasonable time.

I have to say I was not impressed by the Sony system in the Titanium enough to choose it over the Hybrid.

Ansolutely wish I could have just gotten a Titanium Hybrid, though.

Ahh well, I'm sure it'll get sorted. Even if it's time for installers to learn the car, details to be found, or whatever needs to happen.

Edited by wikkid1976

When my car arrived, my salesman sat in the car with me, I plugged in my USB stick, and chose Ghost Riders by the Outlaws. He sat there and said, wow, that really does sound nice compared to the other cars. I hadn't even tuned the sound yet.

All I can say is car stereos have come a long way. Factory installed systems actually sound better than aftermarkets did back in the 90's. I think a lot of it has to do with the actual design of the speaker placements and sound tests run during the development of the cars interior. I'm sure a better system than the Sony can be installed, but since I am not out to be heard with a thumping bass, and like to keep my hearing, the Sony is just right. It has the highs, mid and low the SE didn't have, and doesnt sound muddy. Could use a bit more bass like what my Flex has, but I can live with it how it is. I also dont use the SCV in the Fusion as I found it gets too bassy, but I have it set to 7 in the Flex. total different sound.

I agree that sound systems have come a long way since the 90s. I love my titanium sony sound system, now if only Sirius can do something about their compression. The music on Sirius sounds so muddy on my system compared to HD radio or my iPhone iPod plugged in.

Sirius is pissing me off, STOP CALLING ME! I listen to Pandora and it sounds amazing through USB.

This is the best feature of the new iOS 7 - caller blocking.

:worship: :yahoo: