djminfll

Consumer Reports reliability reports

The only below average score was for Audio. And in their review, they stated that customers found it "too complicated" or "difficult to learn." Therefore, the vehicle did not make the "recommended" list.

You are right that they do not like MFT but I don't think that is why it did not make their recommended list. In the March 2013 CR issue they talked in detail about the fit/finish flaws that were present on their Fusions and the main reason that it did not make their recommended list (at that time) was because it was a new model thus lacking relability data. They went on to say that other recent Ford models have had poor relability histories. The owner data presented in the December 2013 issue seems to confirm this. I think the relability issue is the main reason that none of the Fusion models were on the recommended list. MFT plays a role in this but the reliabilty issues are bigger than just MFT.

Edited by Texasota

Did CR rate the FFH separately from the other models of the Fusion? Maybe the early overheating problems that models with the 1.6 engine had resulted in a blanket rating of unreliable for the Fusion name. I agree with everything Vangonebuy said. We don't see reports on this forum of the FFH being unreliable, at least the way I define a car's reliability. None have been found on (the) road dead.

Yes, the CR 12/2013 issue (page 65) has separate bar graphs for each car model (including a separate graph for the FFH) that shows the percent (+ or -) from which it deviates from average reliability. The 2013 FFH looks like it is around 25% (by eyeballing the graph) worse than average. The regular Fusion was around 50% worse than average.

Out of curiosity I went back and looked at the reliability charts in the CR 04/2013 issue (page 89). The 2010, 2011, and 2012 FFHs had excellent reliability according to the data reported by owners. These model years of the FFH were amongst the best of the best and CR gave very favorable reviews to these models and recommended them.

To me, reliability is and should be a broader measure than the car failing on the roadside. Todays cars (even the ones with poor ratings in CR) are much more reliable than years past and on average they keep getting better. But, it has been my experience that most cars give you plenty of warning that something is going wrong before they leave you stranded on the roadside. That has certainly been the case with my 2012 Focus. My Focus is an excellent car in every way except for the single glaring flaw which is the Powershift transmission. That is my only complaint on the car but after having the clutch pack replaced twice by 28,000 miles I consider that a huge reliability issue and it has turned my ownership experience into a very unhappy one.

I don't want to give the wrong impression here - I am a Ford fan and applaud Ford for being a leader in the technology they have deployed in their latest models. I will be replacing my Focus soon and the replacement will be another Ford (most likely a FFH). But, Ford has had a lot of bumps in the road with these new models and the drop in the reliability ratings is based on data reported by the owners of these models. In my opinion it is not a result of CR bias and the owner reported data backs that up.

The 04/2014 CR issue should have specific owner reported reliability data for the 2013 Fusions. It will be interesting to see what mechanical and electrical areas have been reported as problem areas in the 2013 Fusions.

The first one I had, I wold not wish anyone had that car(unfortunately a few here have one just like it), However, the second one I got, built Job2, has been pretty much trouble free. To date, only 2 complaints, a piece of trim on the drivers door keeps popping up(which appears to be a very common thing) and s spot on the rear bumper that had poor paint adhesion. Bumper is fixed, and other than that trim piece, no other concerns. My 2010 was pretty much the same, no issues with it at all. In fact since 2010, I have owned several Fords, and of all of them only the Fusions were trouble free.

Knock on wood the Flex has been trouble free since day 1 with over 6K on it now, and not back to the dealer once.

The 04/2014 CR issue should have specific owner reported reliability data for the 2013 Fusions. It will be interesting to see what mechanical and electrical areas have been reported as problem areas in the 2013 Fusions.

I have not seen the April issue yet but this article previews this Consumer Reports issue and it looks like a very bad story for Ford:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101444215?__source=yahoo%257cfinance%257cheadline%257cheadline%257cstory&par=yahoo&doc=101444215%257cTesla+soars,+Ford+falls+i

I wonder where these stats are coming from consumers?

Consumer Reports sends out a very detailed multi-page survery to subscribers but I don't know if it goes to a wider audience than that. I have filled out and returned this survery many times. It is from these surverys that CR compiles and builds their reliability ratings and charts including the auto reliability graphs that are in every April issue.

OMGOMG My SYNC doesnt work, how can I get to my JOB Now!!! My car is so unreliable, I cant listen to music, OMG.

Guess what, reliability on my car 100%. I get in everyday, it starts, I get to work, it shuts off. I get in to go home, it starts, I get home, it shuts off. 100% reliable! I have over 18K trouble free miles. The only trouble I did have was a squeaking wiper blade, and some cosmetics that were corrected, but a paint chip never left me stranded.

I still don't understand why people have so much trouble navigating the MFT. You push an icon and it changes the display. What is so difficult about that? There is a learning curve, get over it!

Would you two guys quit being so bashful and tell us what you really think? ;)

The so called infotainment systems are getting most of the media attention but Ford's reliability/quality issues are more wide spread than just Sync and MFT (e.g. numerous recalls on the Escape, overheating and fire issues on Ecoboost engines and serious problems with the Powershift transmissions to name only a few). The specific areas that owners have reported on Ford's new models will be interesting to see when the April issue becomes available.

I'll do my best to keep :stirpot: on this issue and try to get you guys to come out of your shells.

Nothing a little extra sponsoring can't fix. ;)

Consumer Reports does not accept any sponsors or advertising of any kind in their magazine. Their revenue comes only from magazine subscriptions, online subscriptions, various newsletters etc. There may be legitimate arguments that they have biases but their reviews are not influenced by advertising sponsors (they have none).