djminfll

Consumer Reports reliability reports

Bad news for Ford from Consumer Reports - earlier today, they released their reliability predictions based on owner surveys, and Ford was amongst the worst brands mostly due to MFT problems, the 2013 Fusion Hybrid scored a "Worse Than Average" reliability prediction, and the C-Max Energi had the dubious distinction of being the single least reliable car for 2013.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/10/most-reliable-new-cars/index.htm

Sometimes I believe that people that complain about the MFT have no clue how to use it and they are the problem and not the technology.

People challenged by technology should be trying to be hip with their car and than complain. I mean we all saw the other thread what people like to complain about. C'mon people.

The owner's manual is kinda complicated, but there are some great youtube videos that show a demonstration of how MyFord Touch and SYNC work. I have been much more successful since watching some of these. I especially love how I can get directions even though I don't have the nav system.

The owner's manual is kinda complicated, but there are some great youtube videos that show a demonstration of how MyFord Touch and SYNC work. I have been much more successful since watching some of these. I especially love how I can get directions even though I don't have the nav system.

People being challenged by MFT would be equally challenged by youtube. :)

MFT is not that complicated, RTFM while going over every item a few times, and it becomes second nature. The real problem is tech overload, too much to remember. The job1 and part of job2 MFT/MLT running 3.5 and under did have issues, the current version has been pretty stable and much quicker. That being said, CR should update their report to reflect that. Since the updates, neither the HyTi nor the Flex have exhibited any issues.

I agree with acdii on the YouTube challenge and who needs a manual to use the basic functions of MFT > the people that give bad reviews.

The latest version even gives you the little cheat window when you hit the MFT button.

On a flip side, CR downgraded the Camry, PriusV and RAV4, no longer a recommended model.

Honestly, Consumer Reports is not all that and a bag of chips sometimes. To rate a car poorly for what is basically a communications device defies logic to me.

Practically every other reviewer except CR likes this car a lot, and highly recommends it.

Honey Badger don't care what they say!

MFT is not that complicated, RTFM while going over every item a few times, and it becomes second nature. The real problem is tech overload, too much to remember. The job1 and part of job2 MFT/MLT running 3.5 and under did have issues, the current version has been pretty stable and much quicker. That being said, CR should update their report to reflect that. Since the updates, neither the HyTi nor the Flex have exhibited any issues.

I find MFT to be quite intuitive, but after saying that I have to say I am a tech person by nature and profession. I have a lot of patience for electronics, and think the learning curve is worth the time.

Luddites need not apply for for many of the latest features on a car. On many cars in fact.

My father in law sold his Lexus 2 years ago because of the amount of tech on it. It was simpler than the FFH I have now

The only thing I ever used CR for when car shopping was getting bottom dollar pricing. Now with True Car, no longer need them at all and I cancelled all my subscriptions. Half the stuff they review is usually end of sale and no longer available.

I'm on the latest MFT and haven't had a single issue. It just works.

I've had one issue with the MFT, and it was hardware. I've had a few glitches, but nothing I could not fix without having to reset the system. Besides, if they think the MFT is problematic, they best not use a computer, tablet, or smart phone. The manual can be confusing, but the best way to learn the system is to use the system. If the MFT is the only issue, than I don't see why the rated it that way. If CR got input from the brain trust that posts info on the safe car site, then I have to rate CR less then credible.

I don't rely on consumer reports. I perform my own research and come to my own conclusions.

Fact is MFT, as buggy as it has been, is covered under a 5 year warranty, is updateable and can be learned. I LOVE the touch sensitive buttons. After all, they're on tablets and smartphones now right?

CR has been calling the MFT system "confusing" for quite sometime. Honestly, I think they'd find anything that isn't analog confusing. Their reviewers all seem like curmudgeonly old men. And I say that as a person who isn't exactly young.

There are some people, like my husband, who seem to live and die by CR ratings. I believe there is more than one side and, while I'm willing to consider what they say, their reviews are not deal breakers for me. I like to check out other opinions and then form one of my own.

CR has been calling the MFT system "confusing" for quite sometime. Honestly, I think they'd find anything that isn't analog confusing. Their reviewers all seem like curmudgeonly old men. And I say that as a person who isn't exactly young.

There are some people, like my husband, who seem to live and die by CR ratings. I believe there is more than one side and, while I'm willing to consider what they say, their reviews are not deal breakers for me. I like to check out other opinions and then form one of my own.

I agree about checking other opinions before making up my mind. I find the user reviews on cars.com and edmunds.com to be the most helpful. There are some that are useless ("I love this car" or "I hate this car" as the entire review), but most are pretty in depth and honest. There are always a few written by disgruntled folks who want to vent about a problem they had or are having, but most are pretty good.

Edited by djminfll

What does a infotainment system have to do with vehicle reliability?

Yea, really, that was my first thought. They tend to find one pinhole issue and try and drive a truck through it.

They are basing it on reliability of 12 months ago I bet. I just don't trust CR much any more.

I love www.thecarconnection.com, I get their daily email.

I do like CR, but I don't think they are as unbiased as they would like to pretend to be. They will always prefer the Japanese cars to the domestics regardless. I had a 2006 Honda Accord that was the WORST car I ever had - problems with the transmission, A/C and brakes. And they rated it as Much Better than Average.

The 2013 FFH is rated as WORSE than average, despite having Much Better than Average in 12 out of 17 categories, Better than Average in 5 categories, but Much Worse than Average in Audio System. And for that, it is rated overall as Worse than Average.

:rant2:

I had a few issues with MFT early on, but none since the last update. I also find it quite intuitive and I'm sure I haven't explored many of its functions. My one issue now is the stinky A/C. Other than that, I love the car.

I love the audio system in my HyTi. The whole reason I got this car was because of it(that and I love driving it). Screw CR, I lost respect for them a while back. Whenever I looked something up to find out its reliability whatever they showed was either high end, or no longer available anywhere. They also changed their subscriptions halfway through, and some of the things I wanted to research cost more to sign up.

I do like CR, but I don't think they are as unbiased as they would like to pretend to be. They will always prefer the Japanese cars to the domestics regardless. I had a 2006 Honda Accord that was the WORST car I ever had - problems with the transmission, A/C and brakes. And they rated it as Much Better than Average.

The 2013 FFH is rated as WORSE than average, despite having Much Better than Average in 12 out of 17 categories, Better than Average in 5 categories, but Much Worse than Average in Audio System. And for that, it is rated overall as Worse than Average.

I subscribe to that newsletter also and like it a lot. Also greencarreports.com is good.

I participated in their new car survey this year and also one for J.D. Power this year.

Consumer Reports seems stuck in the 1970's and 1980's. I know, because I am old enough to remember those days. My dad was an avid subscriber to Consumer Reports. Back in the day, Japanese cars were being more solidly built than American cars were. A lot of opinions about quality were formed then, and it seems to me that CR has never really moved beyond that mindset. That's why I say the reviewers all seem to be curmudgeonly old men. They are people who are still stuck in a mindset that's 30 or 40 years old.

They are people who are still stuck in a mindset that's 30 or 40 years old.

Well young lady, you can say what you want but I liked the 40's and 50's, graduated from high school in '59.

I'm stuck still thinking this is a beautiful car. :)

ScreenShot2013-11-01at84954PM_zps38a195e

I gave up on CR about 30 years ago after following their advice on several purchases.

Back then there were not that many reference magazines about buying consumer products, so they got their feet on the ground early and it's gone to their head.

I'm stuck still thinking this is a beautiful car. smile.png

I think you are right. That 2 seater Le Sabre is wild.

I have had my FFH since May. I have had NO electronic or mechanical trouble.

It has fantastic handling. And can get out of its own way. Unlike the Camry hybrid.

I joined this forum to keep an eye out for problems with this Ford Hybrid.

NO blown engines.

NO transmission failures.

NO High Voltage Battery fires.

We spend our time talking of add on's and maintenance and improving mileage. (kinda dull)

I thoroughly researched the MyFordTouch system after reading CR's March 13 review and watching the CR video. (cannot find a video link)

CR hated the MFT system. But the button alternative they recommended was a disaster.

Unable to control much with buttons. I chose the MFT.

MFT has been a great success to me. I have enormous control of many functions that any button system could never offer.

It works eveytime I push the screen. And can complete my command in very few taps.

I am very happy I chose the MFT system over the push button version.

CR should clarify its MFT position. All it says is it's confusing. (too vague)

While I get many compliments on the look of this car, I am amazed at the level of electronic control built in this car. This car is an electronic marvel.

And, SYNC is still new to me. But having a turn by turn directions without having a built in GPS is great.

I am a long time Consumer Reports subscriber. They have made errors.

I have 130K miles on my Chrysler Town & Country. They trash it each and every year. Runs Great.

CR recommended my top rated Lexmark printer only to announce that it wastes the most ink of any printer 2 months later.

CR recommended my over the stove SHARP microwave. Later finding that the cheap plastic body warped and became brittle. Falling apart in a year. CR changed its recommendations in the following year.

CR gives its best opinion based on a short test. That dont alway align with owners experience.

And, SYNC is still new to me. But having a turn by turn directions without having a built in GPS is great.

The car has a built-in GPS. There is just no way for you to access it directly.

When you give SYNC a destination it will say wait while I get your location or something similar to that. It will then read the GPS and compute the route. The route is downloaded to the car and SYNC hangs up the phone connection. The car uses the GPS to follow the downloaded route.