Bob Teddy

Calls & Messages

Hi everyone,

When I receive a notice on the right hand 4.2" dash screen that I have received a new text, I can press the steering wheel button to listen to that text message being read to me. This works for me no problem. Another option that appears on that screen is "dial" but that does nothing when I select and choose that option on the 4.2" screen.

Does anyone get this function to actually dial the person who sent you the text? It would be great to learn how to get this function to work.

Thanks.

Yes I do have the same problem but I believe it depends on how the text is received.

When my wife sents a text it's send as iMessage and usually linked to an email address.

I could be wrong but it's not a really big deal for me since I can tell Samantha ;) to call my wife.

Maybe Kim knows or can find out.

Hi JimArch and corncobs,

When you get an incoming text through MyFord Touch, you'll have the option to Listen, Ignore, Dial, Repeat, or Cancel on that right 4.2" screen. Press the DOWN ARROW on the steering wheel until DIAL is highlighted, then press OK. Not all devices will support this feature. If you're following these steps and are still unable to dial out from an incoming text message, I suggest pressing the voice command and saying CALL <name>. corncobs may be correct about the iMessage texts, but I was unable to verify this. If anyone is able to utilize the DIAL feature with an iMessage text, let me know. I'm curious now.

Kim

There we go again... ;)

Thanks for checking and I'm curious as well under which conditions this feature works.

C'mon guys and gals let's explain Ford how and when their system works ;)

Many MyFord Touch features are dependant on the device capabilities. If you're not able to dial a contact directly from a text message from your actual phone, the MyFord Touch system will most likely not support this feature. Our compatibility chart does show a variety of features that have been tested with many devices; however, the list does not indicate if the DIAL function will work from the right cluster after receiving an incoming text message: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-myford-touch

Keep in mind that I'm no expert on phones, but I was able to borrow an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5 (both running iOS 7) from some co-workers and test this feature. After receiving a text message, I was able to select DIAL from the MyFord Touch screen in both instances. Nothing happened when I selected DIAL from the right 4.2" display. These were not iMessages, they were regular text messages. This leads me to believe that the iPhones will not support this.

I also attempted to dial a contact right from the text message screen of their phone and noticed that a pop up message appeared giving me the following options: Voice Call, FaceTime, or Cancel. Although I'm unable to confirm that this is causing the issue, I thought it was worth noting. :)

Hi All,

I will check on if it works with text message but not iMessages, I am using an iPhone device, so it should be an easy test.

If it can't work with iMessage, I would expect to have the car prevent me from seeing or ok-ing that option. In fact, the only option I could get to do anything was "listen". Hitting OK on any of the other options offered accomplished nothing.

Thank you. Let us know what you find.

I can dial from a text message works with my Samsung s3 and now my s4

Thanks for sharing, halfelite!

Kim

Hey Kim

I think it's really cool that you are actually getting your "hands dirty".

It's interesting (strange) that you are able to use the feature from the big screen but not from the little screen. For me it would be the same action connected to the same button on a different screen.

I would put this into the same category as the artist and song title not displaying on the little screen when streaming BT

-Not logical-

Thanks corncobs. Since most features are device dependent, it can be difficult for me to confirm whether or not a feature works with a specific phone unless it has been added to our official list. I just happened to get lucky and get my hands on some iPhones yesterday. :)

Just Curious. When you do this to you actually take the phone and go to a car and try it, or do you use a computer or other device to simulate the car's function?

Good question!

We have the SYNC systems available to us in the office, which allow me to simulate being in motion, parked, or in accessory mode. They aren't actually attached to a vehicle though.

Kim

I also attempted to dial a contact right from the text message screen of their phone and noticed that a pop up message appeared giving me the following options: Voice Call, FaceTime, or Cancel. Although I'm unable to confirm that this is causing the issue, I thought it was worth noting. :)

This most likely is the issue. I ran into this with Iphones and Cisco Jabber. If something is not 100% Do It, the phone will prompt, and this interferes with the operation of the phone. Most likely the iphone is waiting for a prompt before actually dialing.

Have you looked at the phone when attempting to dial to see if it prompts?

Cisco Jabber uses anyconnect mobile for their ondemand feature. You start the jabber app and behind the scenes the phone brings up the anyconnect VPN client and connects to the remote network. This is based on a list of internal URL's that do not resolve publicly, the Jabber client tries to contact the server by name, name cant be found off public DNA, start VPN client. This is where I have encountered hangups, though they were behind the scenes, and not prompting for action, it is very similar to what I am reading here.

On this one it turned out an extra setting was needed in a newer rev of software running on the ASA, and it needed an additional URL string. When I open the VPN client and connect manually, this is where I found the issue, It would not connect automatically, but prompted to connect. Sounds pretty close to what is happening here.

Sorry, I did not. This is where on the big screen?

I'm wondering about my 4.2 inch screen because I get nothing when I ask it for gas stations, restaurants (however Kim has already asked me to check with Service on this matter), and now the inability to Dial or Cancel the text from that screen. I don't know if these functions worked at one point or never worked, but I suspect never.

I'm coming up on a service interval and will check with them on these items, these details are nothing serious, just slightly concerning/confusing.

Thx.

Hey JimArch,

For me, the option popped up right in the middle of the MyFord Touch system after receiving a text message.

I had the same experience in that smaller screen on the right. It would not accept the OK button to dial, so it most likely has something to do with the phone that's connected. It's always good to keep your service department in the loop, so you should still bring up these concerns with them.

There seem to be lots of software bugs with MFT and the right dash screen. There are items that work on the big center screen and with voice commands, but not on the right dash screen.

Kim - when you receive a text, can you use voice commands to listen to the text or dial the sender?

Hi hybridbear,

Since my co-workers are so generous, I was able to get my hands on another iPhone (iPhone 5 with the latest iOS). After I sent a text message to the iPhone connected to MyFord Touch, I was still unable to dial from that upper right 4.2" display, but I could use voice commands to listen to the message. I could also say CALL and the system would ask if I'd like to call the last contact in my text message inbox (Kim).

As long as your phonebook is downloaded, you can also press the VOICE COMMAND button on the steering wheel and say CALL KIM (or whichever contact you'd like to call). I find this way to be faster and you receive less feedback from MyFord Touch.

Have you looked at the phone when attempting to dial to see if it prompts?

Hey acdii,

When using that upper right display, I did not notice the message on the iPhone. It only happened if I tried to dial out from the actual text message inbox using the phone's touchscreen.

Kim

Hi all,

Thanks Kim, for the reminder of keeping Service aware of these items.

I think that some of the source of frustration with situations such as this, is that we as the forum community don't know where to look when trying to understand car software compatibility with phone software, so when we find something that doesn't "work" for us, or not as expected, we don't know if this is function that wasn't ever designed to work, function that should be working but needs service, or function that should work for us, but we have a setting wrong (on our phone or our car). So, since we can't call Ford Service everyday, we ask the forum community, and hope for a solution. As has been mentioned, very often there are work arounds, if not solutions found.

I certainly realize that there are many phones out there trying to connect to Fords, and it can seem overwhelming. Those phones are also receiving calls and texts from other phones, whatever type. That is the fundamental idea of phones in cars. It would be helpful if issues such as this could be documented by Ford and categorized as A, B, C so that we know which B items to take to service, which to look for in a future release, which to just accept the work around.

I understand that Ford is not in the primary business of providing software solutions to make this integration easier, but in a way... they have contracted with software developers who are, and Ford puts that software in our cars.

Thanks.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm only able to verify what's posted publicly by Ford, but I encourage you folks to continue to share your findings. That's what forums like these are for! :) I just try to jump in where I might be helpful.

If a feature is listed in your manual and doesn't say that it is device dependent, I recommend troubleshooting the concern or having the dealership take a look. For example, if your VOICE COMMAND button stops responding when you push it, this should be addressed.

Although there are some devices missing from this list, it's a good place to get an idea of how your phone should interact with MyFord Touch: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-myford-touch

and SYNC: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync

Kim