Bob Teddy

Calls & Messages

I just discovered the iPhone text message option this past week. The Prius got an Entune update which added the option for the Prius to notify you on screen when you receive a text. As far as I know the Prius can't read you the message. With learning how to adjust the settings for that I also discovered that I could do the same thing with the FFH and have since turned it on and had it read me text messages. Very cool!

P.S. I have an iPhone 5S

Awesome, hybridbear. Here are some tips for other iPhone users: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/how-to-allow-ios-text-messaging-sync-myford-touch

Kim

Kim,

Thank you for the link. Would you also have a similar link for recommended text message reading settings for those of us using an Android phone?

First, check to make sure your phone is compatible here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-myford-touch

If it is compatible with SMS Text Messaging and you're still having trouble connecting, let me know which phone it is and I'll provide suggestions.

Kim

Kim,

Thank you for the reply. My phone HTC One with AT&T is on the list but the Firmware/OS on the list is out of date. My current Firmware is 3.17.502.3. I can receive text messages on a hit or miss basis, so it works sometimes but doesn't appear to work all the time. I did delete the phone from SYNC and then paired it again and that helped but I was thinking that I might have a setting that may be incorrect.

HTC One (PN07120) Manufacturer: HTC Carrier: AT&T OS/Firmware: 1.26.502.12 Date tested: 9/11/13
Confirmed Features*
  • Automatic Phonebook Download
  • Bluetooth Audio Streaming
  • Caller ID
  • Call History Download
  • Join Calls
  • Phone Tethering
  • Photo ID
  • SMS Text Messaging
  • Transfer to Privacy
- See more at: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-myford-touch#sthash.vFX0Gw2S.dpuf

If you've had the text messages come through in the past, it sounds like your phone settings are correct. One thing that can help with the Bluetooth connectivity is a soft reset to your phone. Since you're unable to remove the battery on that phone, the soft reset is done by holding the POWER button for 10 seconds. When the phone powers back up, it should automatically connect to MyFord Touch.

Here are some more connection tips: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/troubleshooting-sync-myford-touch

Kim

I never have a problem with Bluetooth connectivity in of itself. The phone and music streaming functions usually work perfectly. It's the text message sending and notification feature that is hit or miss. I went through the support link that you included above and nothing worked until tip #3 where I had to un-pair my phone from SYNC and then delete SYNC from my phone. After I did that, and then re-paired my phone with SYNC, the text message sending and notification feature started working again. I did this same trick awhile back the last time the text message notification and read feature quit working and it started working again then also.................for awhile. The problem is that it will work for some time and then all of a sudden the text messaging feature quits working again. It gets somewhat frustrating having to delete the pairing of the phone and then pairing it again and having to wait while it downloads all my contact information.

I will bet it is most likely the phone as the culprit here. Reason I say this is my iphone sometimes needs to be restarted for it to connect to wireless networks. I think that after some time without a reboot these little computers get confused and things gradually stop working, just like a regular windows PC does. Since I dont do any texting, I can't say if I have a problem with this particular thing, but I have had other issues that a reboot of the phone cleared up.

I will bet it is most likely the phone as the culprit here. Reason I say this is my iphone sometimes needs to be restarted for it to connect to wireless networks. I think that after some time without a reboot these little computers get confused and things gradually stop working, just like a regular windows PC does. Since I dont do any texting, I can't say if I have a problem with this particular thing, but I have had other issues that a reboot of the phone cleared up.

The soft reset to the phone is a great troubleshooting step, acdii. Thanks for sharing. By the way, I was skimming through a different thread and saw that you had quite the weekend. I'm glad you and your wife are alright. That's scary!

You are probably right that the phone is the likely the culprit and that was my original thinking also. That was the reason that in my earlier post I had asked Kim if she could post a link for any recommended text message reading settings for those of us using an Android phone similar to the link for iphone users that she posted for hybridbear. :)

Currently, I do not have any general instructions for Android phones that I can suggest. I'll be sure to let you know if any become available. If it's not too much of a pain, try soft resetting your phone every once in a while (you don't even need to be in the car). It will improve the overall connection with SYNC and may even resolve the text messaging concern. If you try this, let me know how it goes. :)

Kim

The soft reset to the phone is a great troubleshooting step, acdii. Thanks for sharing. By the way, I was skimming through a different thread and saw that you had quite the weekend. I'm glad you and your wife are alright. That's scary!

Kim

Thanks Kim, yeah still having flashbacks to the crash. Ford sure did a great job making the Flex safe.

I shut off my phone each night while I charge it back up and turn it on each morning which I think is a soft reset daily. Like I mentioned earlier the BT phone and music streaming functions rarely ever fail to connect automatically. It's just the text message notification, reading and sending function that works for awhile and then sometimes fails to work. This last time that the text messaging failed, I did a soft reset and it didn't make any difference. It took a delete and un-pair the phone from SYNC and then add the phone and re-pair it again to get text messaging to functioning again. Oh well, at least now I know what it takes to get it working again. :)

Yes; that would be considered a soft reset. You're doing everything correctly, Boat Racer.

Kim

Kim,

Thanks for the links. The FFH wasn't reading the notifications and I read the following from the link:

While your phone is connected to the vehicle, go into your phone’s Bluetooth settings and activate Notifications. On your iPhone:

1. Tap Settings > Bluetooth > SYNC

2. Set Show Notifications to ON.

That was the missing piece. Very cool!

You're welcome, 2014FordFusionSE. :)

Kim

Hey Kim, is there a way to find out if Applink will be available later this year for the MKT that doesnt have MLT? 10-12 have the older style Sync with Nav. Just wondering if it will be included with the 3.4 million cars that will get it later this year.

Hey Kim, is there a way to find out if Applink will be available later this year for the MKT that doesnt have MLT? 10-12 have the older style Sync with Nav. Just wondering if it will be included with the 3.4 million cars that will get it later this year.

Hi acdii,

I haven't received the specific details yet. I can only verify that the AppLink update being rolled out later this year is not going to be available for MyFord/MyLincoln Touch systems.

Kim