Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Problems with tips

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Adam Gilles

Adam Gilles

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

Ok so I am now going on 4000 miles on my FHH. I have read almost every tip in the forum but still don't get how so many people get 50+ on a commute or 47 MPG.  Yesterday I was reading about one guy who gets 55mpg on his 50 mile commute as he sets the cruise on 62 the whole time on the freeway and gets 50/50 EV and ITE.  Yesterday on my 32 mile commute, which is 26 freeway I set the ECO Cruise on 62.  The only time it went on EV was going downhill other than that it hovered around the 40 mark.  I ended up with 41 MPG for trip as off the freeway it is in EV or EV+ mode almost the whole time.  I am very good at braking and filling up my battery, but don't understand why it doenst go into EV on the freeway when using cruise. It will be in EV when I pulse and glide then I hit the Cruise and immdeiately goes down to 40 or less MPG..

Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   keithsm2

keithsm2

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 232 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2011 CTSV 2013 FFH

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Adam.... There are SOOOOooo many variables on the mileage....   And im sure youre going to see more than i can list...but  ...need more info...

1)  whats your air pressure in tires.   ( ive increased mine from 32 to 37 this weekend...have seen maybe 1 or 2 mpg change )

2)  were you going up hill or down hill overall??   http://veloroutes.org/   This site can help determine that..

3)   were you using AC or Heat?   AC is a big hit.

4) Do you have the latest software update that allows EV over 62 MPH?

5)   how many miles on your car...Mileage will go up as you get more miles.

6)  47 mpg at 62 mph is REALLY good and probably not typical.

I have got up to 70 mpg on my 7 mile trip home from work...but tooo work...i can never get above 41..and usually lower.    a 150' elevation change seems to make the difference.   Plus battery is usually drained at home but not at work...even though it uses EV + at both work and home.

• B25Nut, hybridbear and corncobs like this

Fusion Hybrid Titanium,   Tri-Coat White

Navigation

Moon Roof

Ordered :  March 27th

Bought almost exact order off the lot April 27th

198807.png

112813.png

#3 OFFLINE   Adam Gilles

Adam Gilles

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

I will check elevation..seems most the freeway is flat..I will also check my tires. AC is not on and neither is heat as it was about 55 degerees in SE Michigan

#4 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

I will check elevation..seems most the freeway is flat..I will also check my tires. AC is not on and neither is heat as it was about 55 degerees in SE Michigan

Your commute is in two directions, does the car get the same results each way?

If you have had the PCM update done correctly your car should be dropping into EV mode at any speed (up to 82) when you are going downhill.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#5 OFFLINE   keithsm2

keithsm2

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 232 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2011 CTSV 2013 FFH

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Forgot an obvious one.....what was the state of charge of the battery when you started....that can change things quite a bit..

Also...you may not be as far off as you think....   you are only 12.7 % off of getting the awesome 47 MPG.           its not the same as comparing a car getting 26 mpg vs 20 mpg.....the same 6mpg difference is now 23 % off of the mark.   so dont be too discouraged.....id be tickled with 41 Highway at 62 mpg. but we rarely have days you can go with out AC here in texas.

• GrySql likes this

Fusion Hybrid Titanium,   Tri-Coat White

Navigation

Moon Roof

Ordered :  March 27th

Bought almost exact order off the lot April 27th

198807.png

112813.png

#6 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

On flat highways you won't see much EV mode. The car will only go into EV at those high speeds going down a hill. If you're driving on rolling hills you'll see lots of highway EV miles. If you're driving on flat highway you won't.

• jeff_h likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#7 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

I found on flat roads, staying on ICE and feathering the throttle gets between 45-50 MPG, but you have to work it. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#8 OFFLINE   jsolan

jsolan

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 194 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have a question on the tips, but don't know what topic to reply in and didn't feel like starting another so I'm posting here.

When you guys say something like "Accelerate at the 2nd bar", etc., do you have the instant MPG bar turned on?  The bars appear to be spaced differently with it on or off.  Since it's a gauge and somewhat hard to read, I find it practically useless and only keep it visible on 1 of the screens.  I much prefer the larger empower gauge as it's easier to fine-tune my driving with a bigger range to work with.

#9 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

I have a question on the tips, but don't know what topic to reply in and didn't feel like starting another so I'm posting here.

When you guys say something like "Accelerate at the 2nd bar", etc., do you have the instant MPG bar turned on?  The bars appear to be spaced differently with it on or off.  Since it's a gauge and somewhat hard to read, I find it practically useless and only keep it visible on 1 of the screens.  I much prefer the larger empower gauge as it's easier to fine-tune my driving with a bigger range to work with.

That refers to the kW bar with the instant MPG turned on. The scale of the kW bar changes when the instant MPG is turned off. 2 bars with the instant MPG on is what we have referred to. If the instant MPG is off then it would be more than 2 bars.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·