jcg1005

Driver Door Molding Rub Noise

Seeing if anyone else is experiencing this:

I have had a noise in my car from essentially day 1 that emanates from the area of where the door curves from horizontal to vertical.

Keep in mind that this noise is not too loud. A moderately loud radio setting and you'd never notice it. (I drive with no radio A LOT - quiet solitude is very beneficial :) )

Originally, they found a molding piece in the B-pillar that was not quite snapped together properly. Thought that was it. I was wrong.

Went back. Noise is best described as plastic lightly rubbing against something. Thought it was dirty door seals, etc. Cleaned by me and the dealer. Noise is still there, but I get the dreaded "Could not replicate customer complaint" from the dealer.

Went back again. Took shop foreman with me. He can finally hear it!! Wasn't what they expected. Try to solve. Can't quite figure it out. Clean everything and away I go. Seems good for about 10 miles - then it is back.

Went back again. Took service adviser with me this time. He hears it, and for once, it is on display louder than in the past. (it comes and goes in intensity) He has an idea and they go in the shop. Comes back and says "Try it, and if it works, I'll tell you want I did. I drove it and I think we got it". He is right. It is gone for a couple of days, until I drive on a rough road - at which point it is back worse than ever. Turns out it is the plastic molding on the DOOR (black) and that there is rub tape underneath to keep it quiet. They didn't think there was enough, and added more.

Back again - More tape. gone again until I get on rough road, then it is back with vengeance.

So - I am going back again this week and my request is that they order and replace all of the clips and tape and everything that holds this piece together. Something isn't right with the attachment of it the trim to the door.

Anyone else having a similar noise issue? They have not had a single other Fusion with this noise issue, nor is there any kind of TSB on it.

Edited by jcg1005

At least your car misbehaves when it is at the shop as well - any issues I have had are dismissed by the dealership with "Unable to duplicate" :gaah:

There really is nothing worse than "Could not duplicate" type responses.

I am, however, getting the trunk lid TSB and my DRLs done when they have it next. I need to wear a helmet for my trunk. Gets me even when I am paying attention. :confused:

I hear a rubbing noise from my door area and the dome light area. I think that I can address the latter, but I wonder if the former was created when I installed the illuminated door sills... Hmmmmm....

I hear all kinds of little rattles and it drives me nuts. It doesn't seem to bother my passengers, I think I'm extra sensitive. I do hear a noise over my left shoulder somewhere. I'm pretty sure there is a tsb about some rattle behind the door where they have to put double sided tape (others, am I right or did I get this wrong?). When you say the molding on the door. Do you mean the molding around the door handle or where the power windows are or the actual lower portion of the door?

It upsets me a little that this car (at least mine) isn't solid when going over bumps, even little ones. I had tons of rattles in my old car but it was over 10 years old. I had thought a new car would be rock solid an whisper quiet.

Edited by Riggo

I'm actually astounded at how well-built my FFH is - 10K miles and everything is still tightly screwed together, no noises or rattles. I heard a little rattle last month, but it was my sunglasses sitting crooked in the bin.

This noise is actually the only noise I have had. No other complaints with build quality / fit / finish. In fact, when this noise isn't happening (i.e. smooth road), this is the quietest car I have ever owned when it comes to wind noise / road noise.

So while I am complaining about this, I am actually extremely happy with EVERYTHING else.

I don't usually hear rattles on smooth roads but on Washington, D.C. roads filled with imperfections and potholes I hear a lot more. Maybe taking those routes over the last 6 months has jarred things loose.

I wouldn't doubt that. When they first fixed my issue, it was good for 6 days. Then we went on vacation and had 50 miles of concrete seams on a poorly maintained section of interstate. Went downhill from there.

Well I think I found the source of a major "rattle" I was having. It was a sound almost like two metal coat hangers lightly touching together. The source seems (at least to me) to be the weather stripping on the driver side rear pillar door area. I rolled up a small rag lengthwise and closed the door on it in that area and the rattle is gone. This is now two rattles the dealer couldn't find that I've had to find myself. I'm not sure how they'll fix it but at least there is now a source.

Edited by Riggo

I find that the chrome strip on the top of the doors moves easily, I can feel it move when I push against it closing the door. Between this and that stupid plastic trim piece that keeps popping up because its straight and the window is curved, drive me nuts.

Hi,

After 3000 miles I had the same noise. The noise as I could define came from the door seal rubber. If I opened the window a little bit, the noise stopped. I checked with laser how the glass deforms the door mark when the window is closed. There is a noticeable deformation, as the closed ridgid and curved glass is pushing the door and its seals against the car body seal (which is not bad from hermetic door closing standpoint). The noise is generated by the fricition between the door and the car body rubber seals. I tried to eliminate it without success. Please do not use silicone oil or similar liquids to lubricate the rubber. The best solution is to put a very thin coat of talc on the rubber seals. Use some Johnson or similar baby talc. Since apply the talc my Fusion is totally noiseless.