hybridbear

Preparing for winter with a comprehensive strategy to improve MPGs including grille blocking & more

Paul, where did you hook up the Oil pan heater? And where did you get one?

Probably this weekend. It was very rainy yesterday. That and I'm not the primary driver of the fusion :(

Do the grill covers need to be made from quality materials?

I have a piece of plexi-plastic from an old poster frame that I was considering carving up with a dremel. Would this work ok or does some of the heat come out through the grill, such that quality materials should be used?

I made 3 covers out of the midgrade 3/16" stuff from Home Depot, HB has the first one, the second is on my car, and the third is for Corncob if he wants it. It cost somewhere around $35 for it. It does crack if you aren't careful and flex it too much, but if you do get a crack, a stop hole drilled as the end of the crack will prevent it from spreading a s shot of thin CA will bond it. It will take a lot of abuse from salt trucks in the coldest weather, and worked quite well for an experiment. If it comes through the winter damaged, then I will get a sheet of the good stuff and make another one, but quite pleased with the one I got.

Installed and ready to roll! :) I think adding a washer is a great idea - just read the above posts. Great job Paul, I was SUPER pleased at how it has all come together, I might add some door edge protection around the edges of the panel for paint protection, that was my other thought.

post-12112-0-96220100-1387060678_thumb.jpg

post-12112-0-49476400-1387060684_thumb.jpg

post-12112-0-78570100-1387060690_thumb.jpg

Was stuck in trafic Today and Yesterday coming back from Work.

Both trips were approx.the same:

1h45 minutes, 26km(16.2 miles), -minus 20c(-minus 4f).....did only 10l/100km(28.2mpImpg or 23.5mpUSg)....winter is horrible for my FHH ....consumes more than double than in warmer seasons.

Any recomendations ?

Thanks

The covers would help a little I think, but with temps like that, and traffic as bad as that, the immediate suggestion is try to use the heated seats if you have them as your primary heat source. That might reduce the gas engine (ICE) cycling on and off a little. The little consolation I have for you is 23mpg moving little to no where in 2 hours is really very good :)

While it wasnt that cold the other day, 18*, it was still snowing and traffic was terrible, averaged about 3.5 MPH to go 34.5 miles in 2 hours(I think, math isnt my strong suit), and still managed to get 34 MPG. Quite pleased with that, however, I have my main grill covered, heater on fan setting 3, floor and defrost, and seat heaters on. These 3 items is what helps boost MPG up in our cold northern winters.

One thing I did notice, that I might do something about if it warms up here soon, is that snow was on the inside of the cover, which means getting more air around the cover than I should, which may help a bit more. Going to take the cover off, I need to get some cushion between the cover and the grill so I dont damage the chrome, and will fill in the outer areas with something when I put it back on. I dont expect to see any marked improvement by doing this, but every little bit helps.