Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Preparing for winter with a comprehensive strategy to improve MPGs including grille blocking & more

grille covers grille blocking MPGs winter driving winter fuel economy FFH Fusion Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   milleron

milleron

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 314 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Acrylic is not dirt cheap.

Lexan is pretty darned expensive, especially considering that when you buy a piece as big as a FFH grill, there's a lot of waste.

Which is more cost-effective in the end?

Which is easier to cut and drill?

I've found a plastic fabricating company near my home, and I'm in the process of finding what they'll charge to cut out a cover using a paper template I'll supply them.  I'll post this information here, but if it's too dear, I'll probably attempt to make an acrylic one myself.  The trouble is that it's so difficult to work with that stuff without it cracking.  I kind of dread trying it.

• Wingmn likes this

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Manufactured:  April 9;  Delivered:  April 25

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 747 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Acrylic is not dirt cheap.

Lexan is pretty darned expensive, especially considering that when you buy a piece as big as a FFH grill, there's a lot of waste.

Which is more cost-effective in the end?

Which is easier to cut and drill?

I've found a plastic fabricating company near my home, and I'm in the process of finding what they'll charge to cut out a cover using a paper template I'll supply them.  I'll post this information here, but if it's too dear, I'll probably attempt to make an acrylic one myself.  The trouble is that it's so difficult to work with that stuff without it cracking.  I kind of dread trying it.

LEXAN doesn't crack and is easy to work with. I'm currently selling CMAX covers for $100+ shipping. I had a prototype but didn't have car to put it on.

Paul

• Wingmn likes this

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#23 OFFLINE   milleron

milleron

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

That is why I use LEXAN type plastic, It's more expensive but it doesn't break.  I used mine all year long with no problems.  BTW my current record is 63.4MPG, 875mi, 13.8gal on a trip to FL and back.

Paul

Paul,

I'm thinking that there's enough of a market here for you to perhaps just check out a FFH at the local Ford dealer to get a template.

As owners here have had great luck mounting with cable ties, I imagine that most of us could get them mounted ourselves.

Have you given any thought to making the cover in two pieces, split vertically right down the middle, to make shipping easier. That could work, as the halves could be mounted independently with cable ties. If there was air infiltration through the remaining crack, it could be completely corrected with a narrow piece of clear tape. Just setting up a "straw man" to see if anyone wants to knock him down.

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 747 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Paul,

I'm thinking that there's enough of a market here for you to perhaps just check out a FFH at the local Ford dealer to get a template.

As owners here have had great luck mounting with cable ties, I imagine that most of us could get them mounted ourselves.

Have you given any thought to making the cover in two pieces, split vertically right down the middle, to make shipping easier. That could work, as the halves could be mounted independently with cable ties. If there was air infiltration through the remaining crack, it could be completely corrected with a narrow piece of clear tape. Just setting up a "straw man" to see if anyone wants to knock him down.

I could make some Grill Covers if a enough  members were interested. I thinking $75 for both Grill Covers including shipping by USmail. I will need to order some LEXAN type material and shipping as one piece is not a problem. You need to figure out away of mounting them for the time being until I can come up with a better solution. You email me at paul@star-instruments.com if you are interested.

• milleron and Wingmn like this

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#25 OFFLINE   milleron

milleron

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

Paul,

I know for a fact that $75 is an extremely fair price.  Please sign me up.  Of course, I'm willing to pre-pay.

I'd ask the moderators, hybridbear and acdii, if there's a way to get Paul's proposal posted more widely than it is now on this particular thread?

Ron

#26 OFFLINE   Wingmn

Wingmn

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 54 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'm interested - but I would caution - that you get more than just two of us interested - for me - the time it woud take me to get one made myself would just take probably a whole day, first I'd have to source the material, don't know how long that would take... - but if you get enough people interested, if you have the time - count me in.

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Deep Impact Blue

Equipment Group 505A (Luxury Pkg/Heated Seats)

SE Hybrid Tech/My Ford Touch Pkg

Rear View Camera

Reverse Sensing System

Moonroof

Active Park Assist

Driver Assist Pkg

Bought Used 12 Aug 2013

#27 OFFLINE   Da0ne

Da0ne

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 323 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi, 2014 Lexus IS 250 AWD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

count me in also taking a hit in mpg since the weather has been in the 40's

319386.png

305468.png

retired 9/23

180884.png

#28 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

If I had time to make these, I would be in direct competition with you. However, I dont have the time, nor gumption to seek out liability insurance for selling something like this.  

My understanding is, depending on the state it was sold in, the law is if you sell something to someone and it causes damage, there is liability.   Considering the cost of the hybrid system should one become damaged by overheating due to having a grill cover installed, and how greedy the legal system has become, I choose not to sell my design, but made a few and gave a couple away. The savings by having one has already paid the cost of the plastic, so that's how I look at it. For the few bucks made, not worth the risk to me.

There is also the possibility of damaging the chrome on the grill when grit gets trapped between the cover and grill and turns into sand paper. The plastic I used is much softer than the chrome over plastic of the grill so it will take the brunt of damage.  I may have some ideas to isolate the cover from the grill that I am looking into to prevent the scuffing I found on the first cover I sent to HB.

Edited by acdii, 28 October 2013 - 10:19 PM.

• hybridbear likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#29 OFFLINE   Wingmn

Wingmn

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 54 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

I was thinking about that - is the plastic/lexan thin enough to wrap the edges in that door sill guards you can buy?  (the door edge protectors)  That would protect the "fake" crome plastic from rubbing problems.  Perhaps.

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Deep Impact Blue

Equipment Group 505A (Luxury Pkg/Heated Seats)

SE Hybrid Tech/My Ford Touch Pkg

Rear View Camera

Reverse Sensing System

Moonroof

Active Park Assist

Driver Assist Pkg

Bought Used 12 Aug 2013

#30 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKZ Hybrid

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

I would love to have this on my MKZ but the ugliness of it makes me just loose MPG if it gets to that point. Is there any chance of covering the lower grill to help any? I can get something in there from the inside and all u would see is the straps.

225770.png

#31 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

I would love to have this on my MKZ but the ugliness of it makes me just loose MPG if it gets to that point. Is there any chance of covering the lower grill to help any? I can get something in there from the inside and all u would see is the straps.

You don't want to block the lower grille. Unless Ford drastically changed the under hood structure of the MKZh (highly unlikely) the lower grille opening is what allows air to flow across the inverter radiator. You do not want to block this except perhaps in extreme cold, as in below 0oF sustained temps. The electronic components should be kept cool. Covering the lower grille would impede their airflow while not really blocking airflow to the ICE radiator which is the main issue in cold weather.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#32 OFFLINE   KLH

KLH

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 175 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Paul, sign me up! I'll send an email too...

-KLH

2013 FFH-SE in Tuxedo Black with everything (MFT, BLIS, ACC, NAV, APA, MRF, LUX, RVM)

Always bet on (Tuxedo) Black...

#33 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKZ Hybrid

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I would have thought ford fixed the grill shutters to where they don't open until the car is completely warmed up. I know once it opens temp will drop quick but shouldn't it close again?
  • corncobs likes this

225770.png

#34 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

I would have thought ford fixed the grill shutters to where they don't open until the car is completely warmed up. I know once it opens temp will drop quick but shouldn't it close again?

The grille shutters don't do a whole lot to block airflow. Since they're behind the grille the air just bounces off them and goes around them. When you put a cover on the front of the car like ptjones is talking about or like I have that blocks the majority of the airflow that would have otherwise gone in that grille. Blocking airflow to the ICE radiator isn't much of an issue as the ICE stays very cold regardless. However, blocking airflow to the hybrid components radiator isn't a good idea as we want to keep those components as cool as possible.

• Wingmn likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#35 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Flash!!  This just in......  (insert breaking news story music here)

Secret spy photo of Hybridbears new grille warmer and comprehensive winter MPG plan.

Now we know....  :camera:

ScreenShot2013-11-09at95307PM_zps029bbe6

• acdii, B25Nut, hybridbear and 4 others like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#36 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Awesome!!!
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#37 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

I won't be making a living with Photoshop, that's for sure.....
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#38 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

The coolant can drop as low as 60oC (140oF) before the HVAC will make the ICE idle to create heat. This is better than it was last winter before the PCM update. Before the PCM update the coolant temp only had to drop to 65oC (149oF) before the ICE would idle to make heat.

This is also greatly inferior to what Toyota has programmed into the Prius. The Prius ICE will come on at 145oF to make heat normally, but will go as cold as 114oF when in Eco mode without making the ICE run to make heat.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#39 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

Prius also has a thermos bottle to store hot coolant, so it can go colder than the Fusion.   I have noticed that at 19* EV is much harder to reach than above 30, but the instant MPG is a LOT higher, at least in this one compared to BD, whether or not the update has anything to do with that I dont know, or care, all I know for sure is that this car does exactly what I expect out of it, and I am very pleased with it.  

Damn its been cold these past few days already, 19* both yesterday and this morning, but still managed to get mid 40's, where that other thing was lucky to get 34.  I feel like Tigger on happy pills and a new spring tail. 

Now if I can only figure out what I am doing wrong on the way home to get crappy mileage, I will be even happier, must be the double amount of traffic and many lights that are always red that are normally green on the way in. need more coffee

• corncobs likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#40 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

Are you getting the mid 40s with your heat on acdii? It's been cold here the last two days and I've had a hard time, getting 35-39 mpg. I even tried driving the entire way home from work today with only my seat heater on and no heat. Got 42 mpg. Normally if get about 47 on that trip in the fall/spring. Maybe it's the winter fuel and using the heat combo that's getting me the upper 30 mg readings. A pretty big drop though for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grille covers, grille blocking, MPGs, winter driving, winter fuel economy, FFH, Fusion Hybrid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·