hybridbear

Preparing for winter with a comprehensive strategy to improve MPGs including grille blocking & more

Don't bother with the lower cover, leave it off, it doesn't do anything, and could impede cooling of the cooling system for the electrical. Already did the testing of that, made zero difference in temps, the main grill is all that needs to be covered.

I tested ICE temps with the scan gauge both with and without the cover. I made the main cover first and a week later the lower cover, but there was no change in ICE temps after putting the lower cover on. According to HB, the lower grill has the inverter cooling radiator. These tests were done in 20* and lower temps. So far we have had several 20* mornings and I still managed to get 45 MPG, so the one cover is working good. Also if there is a license plate frame, there are tabs on the back of it that you need to cut slots for and pry the frame forward so you can slide the cover behind and lock it in, but you can risk distorting the bumper cover. I also have the Adaptiv cruise so there is only about 40 square inches of open area.

I wonder if there is any aero improvement by blocking it off?

Paul

Nothing you would ever notice, except over long term. The grill shutters main purpose is to improve aerodynamics by redirecting airflow around and down from the radiator instead of through it and creating a bubble in the engine compartment.

Paul, as I mentioned I am interested, but out of the states, and I only want the main grill cover, any thoughts on a price for just the main cover? I should be back in the states by Friday and will be ready to order, but like I said, only the main cover.

I had an accident with a deer last nite so CMAX has significant damage and will be in Body Shop for probable a couple weeks. With alot of searching I was able to find a 2014 Black SE FFH at Budget Car Rental so I will have a couple of weeks to test my Grill Covers Design. I got 53.5MPG for 41mi. on I85 going home. Temps in mid 50's and drafting.

Paul

Paul sorry about your deer meeting, hope you are ok. I did not see your thoughts on a price just for the main cover, have you had a chance to think about it?

Me Too!

How 'bout a folding pattern that is easily mail-able.

Anyone know (or can guess) how Ford would react to seeing the cover when at a Dealer?

JT

Paul,

Any more thoughts on a price for just the main grill cover? I'm ready to order this week.