hybridbear

Preparing for winter with a comprehensive strategy to improve MPGs including grille blocking & more

There are three radiators in the Gen 1 FFH, the Electric, AC and engine cooling in that order front to back. Why are the automatic slats not enough in the Gen 2s?

I think it's a computer controlled water valve. They had a programming change because of overheating in one of the Ford models within the last year.

Blocking the radiator should not cause the engine to warm up any faster assuming there is a working thermostat in the radiator to prevent coolant flow until the coolant reaches the thermostat's set point. In a car this computerized I would expect the thermostat to be replaced by a computer controlled water valve though.

Does anyone have access to a shop manual to see what is actually in the engine cooling loop?

Oh yes it DOES! Believe me on this one! Many here know my woes when I had the BD, and how crappy it ran on cold days. I would drive 1 hour to work with cold feet. As soon as I put the upper grill cover on I had HEAT! It cut the EV wait cycle in half. On cold days below 32* the ICE warms up before it would allow EV mode(whether or not the update changed that, wont know until its cold again). I would normally drive 5 miles before it would go to EV mode, after putting the cover on I could get EV in 2 miles. Also keep in mind, right at the end of my driveway, its rural highway speeds of 55 MPH. I'm pretty certain the low coolant temps led to the plug fouling too, but have nothing to prove it.

Pre-cover the ICE would not get to 180* unless it heat soaked at a light, and once moving again, and go into EV would drop to 160*. Post-cover, it would get to 180* and stay there. It did help improve MPG by 2 MPG, so instead of getting 34, it got 36.

I did find that putting lower cover on made no difference, so I wont be making a lower one for the HyTi.

HB, do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? They have a cable tie container for like $5 with a ton of ties in it of various lengths and in black and white.

If I understand the key value of the grill block, it's that the grill block prevents the ICE from cooling down during cold temperature driving. Reasoning this out, I would assume that this would be more of an issue for city driving, where the ICE may frequently be off (thus cooling down).

In highway driving, do you perceive the grill cover impacting MPG since the ICE is basically always on at 60+ mph?

In highway driving, do you perceive the grill cover impacting MPG since the ICE is basically always on at 60+ mph?

Nope, it is a gain since it keeps the airflow away from the radiator so that it maintains the temps during the EV cycles. It also improves aerodynamics more than the shutters can. When you are traveling at 60 MPH the airflow into the radiator drops coolant temps extremely fast, even with shutters closed, so every time the thermostat opens an inrush of cold coolant gets into the ICE and it has to use more fuel to raise the temp back up. It becomes a vicious cycle when its 20* or below out. The Fusion's cooling system is hyper efficient, meaning it keeps the ICE very cool running when on the highway, mainly due to heat soaking that happens in city driving when it does more EV/ICE cycling. If you were to hook up a scan gauge and watch the engine temps while driving it will become very apparent what I mean. When I was monitoring the BD during some cold driving, the temp would get up to about 160* while cruising at 55 MPH, then during an extended EV cycle going down a long hill, the temp would drop to 120*. When sitting at a light after being on ICE, the temp would rise to 180*, and drop down to 160* once I start moving again.

After I put the cover on, the temp was much more stable, but still took quite some time before it reached full operating temp of 180*, and during heat soak would get near 200*. From what I have read from others, the ideal ICE temp is right around 200* for the best efficiency. The BD NEVER got that high unless it sat after driving at least 10 miles, and would drop down to 180 as soon as the ICE started up again.

OTOH I never needed covers for the 2010 FFH. It always had heat in the winter and always did really good MPG. It averaged between 34 and 36 in the winter, and low 40's in summer, right where the EPA said it would. If I did put a cover on it, it might have done a little better in the winter, but even so I was OK with what it was getting. It was less than a 10% variance over EPA. Much better than the 30%+ the other car was doing. Keeping my fingers crossed that I wont be seeing such a drastic change when it gets cold here in the HyTi, and very optimistic about it based on the few cold morning we have had recently in the 40's and I still am getting 45 MPG.

Now if only every trip was 45 MPG, but alas, not every trip is perfect. Some days I just dont feel like playing the game.

Oh here's a tip for you all, if you are accustomed to wearing thin soled shoes while driving, putting on thick soled shoes, like work or hiking boots, you can expect to have lower MPG. :) For some odd reason I found it much harder to drive when I couldnt feel the pedals. LOL

From my understanding, the temp of the ICE is taken pre-thermostat, so it measures the ICE temp. This is the important one for Engine operation. I haven't hooked the SG up to the new car yet to see how it is with the cover on, but will dig it out when I remember to. My cover works quite well, and isn't very hard to attach.

Here is the one I gave to HB, the one I made is nearly identical, I just drilled the holes different.

164262_523663224342483_615446201_n.jpg

I found the lower one isnt needed, didnt make any difference with it on or off. I attached the cover with cable ties. My new one I drilled the lower holes for the bottom grill bar without realizing that there is solid plastic there, so had to drill holes in the gril to match. No biggy, cat see them unless you are on the ground looking up.

I've mentioned before that you don't know the temperature of the electronics. These cars are delicate compromises so be careful with the covers. As an analogy, if you have a refrigerator/freezer with the temperature sensor in the refrigerator and a mechanical vent between the sections, if you run it in a house with the winter thermostat set to 50º F., the freezer will defrost. The unit will not run enough. The car is designed for certain temperature ranges and air flows. It would not be good to fry the very expensive electronics. They may be cooled enough but how can you tell ? I presume the radiator fan shuts off with higher vehicle speed. What will draw air over the electronics radiator then? The electronics is always doing the same amount of work.

I don't know the answers. I can conceive of an early Spring day up there where the temperature goes to 75 and you turn the AC on in a car sitting in the Sun and the cover is still on and you forget about it. I believe there is a message center warning for electronics over-heat. I'm an experimenter too but be careful. This is not your Daddy's Ford.

Forty years ago I did some modifications to a '68 Volvo cooling fan circuit and ended up blowing a fuse plug out of the AC condenser from overheating. I forgot about idling or something like that.

I'm wrestling with 89º temps today moving my DSL modem around the house and outside to the service box trying to improve my DSL signal to noise ratio. The service box is right in the afternoon Sun in some bushes. Life's a beach.

Edited by lolder

acdii, what's the material? polycarbonate? Where did you buy it, and what did you use to cut it? I seem to recall your saying you use some sort of blade on a Dremel tool; is that correct? Do they perhaps make saber-saw blades for plastic like that?

Would you mind emailing that photo to Paul Jones? His email address is in my last post.

I use a bandsaw and belt sander. I can make one in 30 minutes. With a template I can make 10 or more an hour. I used a low end poly carbonate that can crack easily sine it was an experiment. If I were to make some for sale I would use a more crack resistant plastic.

They are easy to make but a bugger to ship, They are thin, but long and fragile. The one I shipped HB I used the box from one of my RC planes.