LEM

Engine on due to heater setting when Heater setting is off

If I set the Climate control (AUTO is off) I still get this in the mornings. My heater settings are off.

This causes the battery to fully charge in the mornings even if the engine is already warm causing a decrease of MPG.

Is this normal?

Edited by LEM

Is climate totally off? If its on, even just low blower, and the temp is set above ambient, it will cause the ICE to kick on because it will call for heat.

It's on, but AUTO is off. If I check the window that tells you the status of the car, it says the engine is on due to heater setting.

Yep. It is doing what it is designed for. The temp setting will call for heat if its set above ambient. If its 65* outside and you have it set to 70*, ICE will come one as long as the climate is on. I always turn climate off when I stop the car, this way when its 60* outside, and I start the car, the ICE wont kick on until it actually needs to.

You know what... this is silly, but I got completely confused. During all this time I thought it said "Engine on due to heater SEATING", not "heater SETTING"

Now I think that it's says the second one, not the first! That's why I was asking that. I feel so stupid!

Sorry about this!