jayemvee

Where to connect wires for diy ambient lights?

Does anyone know where a suitable wire would be to tap into for ambient light wiring?

I guess I'm asking for the color and location of a wire for the parking lights or headlights, since I only

want the ambient lights to come on when the headlights are on.

I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Thanks for any help.

Edited by jayemvee

I can't help you to tap for headlight use.

Thinking about it differently, I'd recommend tapping into the dome light area because the ambient lighting should go on when the dome light comes on, right? To do so, tap into the same wires that the illuminated door sills use. In the dome light area, there's a white Molex connector. Within it, you'll find a purple/gray wire on one side and black for ground on the other side. Those are what you'll want to tap into.

I've used those for the lighted sills that I bought. But I want power that stays on as long as the headlights are on. I will have a switch somewhere so that I can turn the ambient lights off, but I don't want them to go off as soon as I close the doors.

Former, I feel that wouldn't be a big deal, just tap into one of the wires that goes to an ambient light bulb, and run that wire to some leds that light up the cup holders somehow.

Gkinla, I am planning to wire a separate dimmer knob along with the leds that will dim the ambients separately from the dashboard. If I get this all together, I will post pictures.

I am eagerly awaiting any info you get from the dealer.

Edited by jayemvee

I belive the smart junction box is next to the fuse box on the driver side in the footwell. Thanks for the info!!

gkinla, would it perhaps be possible to take a picture of the fusebox area in the driver side footwell? I might be able to see the wire that they spliced into. You need to be a bit of a contortionist to see up there, but if you could it would be greatly appreciated.

Got the ambient lighting done. I tapped into the wire that provides power to the parking lights for the tail light. It was best option, since the SJB is impossible to get to, and tapping into the wire for the front lights would mean going through the firewall somehow. The ambient lights are ice blue, and they come on when you unlock the car and stay on when the lights are on. I wired them to a led dimmer switch that I put in the armrest storage bin. I would be happy to provide specifics or pics for anyone who wants to do this.