I'm exploring having my FFH-SE tinted in the next week or so. While I'm getting quotes, I'd like to ask if there's any downside to tinting? Is it harder to drive at night? I'm looking at getting 35% on all windows but the front.

The darker the tint, the harder it is to see out the back at night. Other than that, I can't think of any other downside. Make sure you comply with your states tinting laws. My Z was tinted by the Lincoln dealer, and there is a compliance sticker on the the bottom of the drivers window to tell the state inspectors that the tint job complies with Texas Tint Codes. :victory:

Not really downsides but a few tips:

1. Don't roll your windows down for a few days while the tint dries.

2. Never, ever use ammonia based glass cleaner on the window tint. Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner is great for window tint and can be purchased in many places.

3. Only drawback I have ever noticed in all of my tinted cars is that you will see small lines at night in your rearview mirror from headlights behind you. They will reflect off the rear window defogger lines. You will get used to it real quick.

The TB FFH needs tinting, IMHO... just like it needs those illuminated door sills (love 'em).

Awww yeah.

Great question! I've wondered the same thing since we're also thinking about getting the car tinted before next summer.

No downsides other than you do have to be careful not to scratch the tint (ring, watch, seatbelt, etc.) 35% is perfect and not too dark at night.

I was told by my tint guy that the old "don't use a cleaner with ammonia" rule no longer applies with modern tint films. YMMV. To be safe, I still use Sparkle and a cotton cloth (diaper actually) to clean the window with tint.

Dave

Depending on your state, being legal is a waste of money on tint.

Ive always had 20% and cops never have cared. They can see me so thats all they worry about.

Now limo tint, thats asking for trouble (and hitting grocery baskets hidding on the side of you at night)

Not really downsides but a few tips:

3. Only drawback I have ever noticed in all of my tinted cars is that you will see small lines at night in your rearview mirror from headlights behind you. They will reflect off the rear window defogger lines. You will get used to it real quick.

Definitely agree with #3. For me, the reflection off the defogger lines at night was almost like seeing double vision - 2 sets of headlights for each vehicle. But, that should NOT be a tint job deal killer. The benefits of a cooler car in the summer, and adding to the looks of the vehicle at the same time far outweigh this minor annoyance.

I have 5% on the two rear windows on my Flex, and had done all the glass from the rear doors back. While it looked Awesome, it was also way too dark to be legal and was asking to be pulled over. I am still thinking of putting 35% on the back glass, and maybe rear doors on it as I can clearly see through the rear doors and see my planes, but not through the rear glass. I would love to do 5% on the back glass, but that is asking to be pulled over.

On the Fusion, I havent noticed any issues with lights in the back tint. The 35% is very nice looking as well.

The lights on the defroster lines also matter what brand tint used. The really good stuff sticks very close and causes it. 35 is too light imo.. Go with 20

The lights on the defroster lines also matter what brand tint used. The really good stuff sticks very close and causes it. 35 is too light imo.. Go with 20

It's all subjective. My daughter has 20% on her car and I think it's too dark, especially at night. Plus as mentioned, illegal in IL and many other states I imagine

Dave

Edited by dkegel

It's all subjective. My daughter has 20% on her car and I think it's too dark, especially at night. Plus as mentioned, illegal in IL and many other states I imagine

Dave

Our grand marquis has 20% and its a PITA at night, you cannot see out the back windows.

The legal limit in Massachusetts is 35%, so I'll stick with that. Hopefully that'll be enough to remove the sting of sun coming through the side windows.

The legal limit in Massachusetts is 35%, so I'll stick with that. Hopefully that'll be enough to remove the sting of sun coming through the side windows.

You will like it. Does what you'd expect, and looks classy at the same time.

Dave

Remember putting 35 on your car will end up around 27.. There is some tint in the glass.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was worried about not being able to see things at night or use the rearview mirror, etc.

I'm stoked to get the windows tinted. I think it looks great and actually serves a purpose.

Edited by KLH

PA limits tinting to 70%. They want a police officer to be able to see everyone in a car on a traffic stop.

I see a lot of vehicles that are a lot darker than 70% so I don't know what the enforcement is like.

Edited by murphy

What I dont like and should be enforced severely are those morons who tint their tail lights. You cant see them at all in bright light!

When you take the car to the tint shop, just ask for the state legal limit, they will know which tint % to use, and a good shop will have a light meter to adjust the tint % with to keep you legal.

If the legal limit is 70% you can't tint. I've never seen lighter than a 65 tint and even that is in the high 50s after you figure in what in already in the glass. The f250 I had came with 50 inside the back side windows already. I would have been screwed without tint at all.

Thanks for the discussion, guys. Getting the tint put on right now...

Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle.

Edited by KLH

It turned out GREAT! I haven't posted pix because I haven't yet washed the car. Since tomorrow should be warmer (60*), I'll wash and take pix then.

As for downsides, I haven't really experienced any - other than paying for the film and installation. There is minor flaring from headlights at night, but - again - it's minor and seems to be reducing the effect with time. The car looks much more stylish with tinting. I wonder why it's not an option.

I'm glad I did it. Pix to follow.

Edited by KLH

Very glad that you had a great outcome.

I totally agree with your assessment - and I had the same experience. Tinting definitely adds extra good looks and style to the 2013-14 FFH. The headlight reflections on the defroster lines does diminish after initial installation, and in my experience, should not be a reason to forego tinting.

Congrats on your enhancement! Looking forward to the pics.

It turned out GREAT! I haven't posted pix because I haven't yet washed the car. Since tomorrow should be warmer (60*), I'll wash and take pix then.

As for downsides, I haven't really experienced any - other than paying for the film and installation. There is minor flaring from headlights at night, but - again - it's minor and seems to be reducing the effect with time. The car looks much more stylish with tinting. I wonder why it's not an option.

I'm glad I did it. Pix to follow.

Looking forward to pics. :) Thinking about getting my FFH tinted! Will tint affect how the rain sensing wipers work?

Edited by Greg D Isringhaus