cold_fusion

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Turbo

So this might be a dumb question but here it goes. Is it possible to have a fusion hybrid turbo? I know ford makes a turbo for the ecoboost fusions non hybrid, so why cant there be a turbo hybrid? Is it a space issue? Does it have to do with the hybrid aspect of it?

I know how turbos work and they are pretty efficient considering they work by the exhaust leaving the engine and im pretty sure you get better mpg with them, so why has ford not made the turbo an option? Could i use one from the ecoboost non hybrid and put it on a hybrid? Im thinking some extra boost couldnt hurt! :)

Murphy. Thanks for the reply. Yeah i agree adding a turbo to a fusion hybrid probably would be a headache. I just dont understand why ford wouldnt make a turbo an option? I did some research and i found vw makes a jetta hybrid with a turbo. So it can be done.

From my limited knowledge on the subject, isn't the Atkinson cycle engine used in the Ford/Lincoln hybrids because of it's love of upper RPM ranges in conjunction with the eCVT transmission? The Jetta hybrid has a true automatic transmission (7 speed DSG on the 14), thus, I assume, is why VW stuck a standard Turbo engine in the engine bay. Am I off-track here in my thinking?

There is one reason, and one reason only NOT to put a turbo on the Hybrid. The eCVT. It can handle only so much torque, or it will become a shell game on the road.

The Hybrid system is a carefully balanced unit designed for maximum efficiency, while still providing decent power. This is the #1 reason you dont see more cars on the road with CVT transmissions. Ford tried it in the 500/Freestyle line, and after too many complaints and busted transmissions, they pulled it. It's also disconcerting to be driving a car that goes RRRRR instead to rrRRR,rrrRRRRRRR,rrrrRRRRRRRR, ummmmmmm. Only the Hybrids should to that! :)

I just don't get it... You buy a Hybrid for the mileage (and the tech). Why do folks want to turn it into a hot rod? I'm reading some this stuff about doing engine mods and think "why"? It's a Fusion Hybrid, not a mustang. I'm surprised no one has mentioned or asked about putting a fart can on one. :drop:

SHHHHHHHHHH Thats the last thing I would ever want to hear. Already sounds like a bad gastric problem as it is.

I love watching guys drop power into a car not designed for it. It is very entertaining. One day when I was younger, I watched as some dude who dropped a built V8 into a Vega decided to drag race a ricer. He got about 2 feet when he twisted the car so bad one of the rear tires was 6" off the ground. It was even more entertaining when the windows shattered from the torque.

The Fusion Hybrid is not designed for a turbo, but if you want to try it, go right ahead, i will just sit here and laugh when you scatter the eCVT all over the road.

On the subject of adding a turbo to the FFH, I personally don't get it. But different strokes I guess.

Harumph

Edited by acdii

OK guys, lets keep it sociable here! No flame wars allowed.

Opinions are one thing, but keep the flaming in your head, not in a thread.

Edited by acdii

:lurk:

So... maybe we're not thinking about this the right way. Can we add laptop batteries so that we can go farther in EV mode?

NONONONO you are ALL going about it wrong, Put some UPS in the back seat, then you can plug the car in to recharge it!