KLH

2014 BMW 328d

But when you price around an optioned vehicle. I believe the BMW in similar option will still run 10-12grand if not more above the passat of the same.

At least. The 328d competes with the MKZ more than the Passat or FFH.

Why would anyone put a BMW in the same class as a VW or a Ford?

This issue stops me cold from even considering a car like that.

FTA:

Meeting American smog standards in a car the size of the 328d requires the addition of a urea reduction catalyst to control NOx emissions. A tank located near the trunk holds sufficient AdBlue fluid to last between normal oil-change intervals, or somewhere between 6000 and 10,000 miles. Adding fluid is easy because the nozzle is next to the diesel fuel filler under an enlarged flap. That’s a good thing, because the EPA regulations require that the car not start if the AdBlue tank is empty. BMW promises there will be ample warnings as the fluid level nears depletion.

The BMW is more against the Mkz v6..

As for the Def.. "ad blue" is a brand. I have it on my last truck. They require the vehicle when empty to not go above 1000rpm which basically makes it a snail to get you to where you need to to buy the fluid.

And it's not required by the epa. There are alternatives but cost more to implement. The Dodge diesel trucks are an example of this without Def.

Thats why I wouldnt want another diesel. Its enough that oil is $15 a gallon, additives another $5 a tank, now add in $15-20 for the Urea. Gets costly when you drive as much as I do. I miss my big ass smoking growling diesel F350, but I dont miss the cost of driving it.

Why would anyone put a BMW in the same class as a VW or a Ford?

At the time I saw a preview article for the 328d, I read that the car was anticipated to be priced in the range of the HyTi. The mpg is ~43, so I thought that the 328d would be compared to the HyTi...

That turned out to be wrong as the 328d starts at $38,600. Oh well.

Thats like comparing a Lexus to a hyundai

Oh wait, that actually turned out to be a good comparison. Veracruz vs RX350, the Veracruz was every bit as god as the Lexus.

The BMW vs MKZh though would be a fair comparison. Luxury class vs Luxury class.

Interior is all the same minus leather. I think BMW would win hands down. IMO Lincoln is now similar to mercury, maybe slightly higher.