wmpwi

That day we all fear . . .

Also another comment on this one. Id check with a local ford dealership on what they will give you for the car AS IS. You may be able to take the money plus a trade-in and come out ahead.

I know someone who had a mustang that got totaled out after a year. They actually gave him around 48% of his original pay price for the car AS IS. They with the insurance money he got he was able to buy a brand new one plus some customizations.

dealerships can get them fixed for alot cheaper than you would ever pay. maybe less than half.

Alpha, no fault insurance is very cheap and it prevents insurance fraud and people who pull out in front of you and slam on the brakes. If someone in a no fault state does that there own insurance pays for everything and it goes up.

This insurance is good and bad. Down here auto insurance is HELL. Maybe the OP can tell us what he pays for the no fault insurance so we can all compare.

I was refering too if they dont total it out take the check and the messed up car and trade it in as is. Car wouldnt have a salvage title at that point so it would be worth more than a salvage car.

How they deiced what issues are hiding inside.
Note how they cut away the left front fender to get a better look.

There is some undercarriage damage there. While it could be repaired where they hook chains to various parts and pull the frame straight, it also weakens the metal, so if there is another crash, the safety cage wont be able to absorb as much energy. It can be repaired, but wonder at what cost.

In any case, good reason to have GAP insurance.

wmpwi, I'm sorry you got hit. It felt kind of weird "liking" a post about someone getting hit, but thank you for sharing. You're photos give me and my wife greater confidence in the safety of our FFH.

What I don't like about "no fault" states is that when a driver is clearly at fault as is this case, they and their insurance company should be responsible for damages. Stupid/careless drivers also deserve to have their insurance rates go up. It is part of taking responsibility for your own actions.

As a side note, when one gets in an accident, make sure to take lots of pictures of everything and keep the talking with the other party to a minimum other than to make sure everyone is okay, to exchange insurance information and to make sure the proper authorities have been contacted. Anything you say could end up being taken out of context as to admitting fault.

A number of years back I had backed out of a parking place, had stopped and was about to go forward when an SUV backed into me. At first, the other driver's insurance company was trying to get out of paying my damages claiming fault couldn't be determined. In arbitration, what changed the decision in my favor were my photos of the damage to my car that clearly showed I could not have been moving when I was hit because there were no linear scratches. Because I wasn't moving, that meant I was already in the physical space and it was the other driver who had backed into me rather than a case of us both going for the same space at the same time and not seeing each other. The damage was less than my deductible so winning meant I got my out of pocket expenses back.

Interestingly enough, the parking lot (which was at a post office) was totally redesigned a couple years later so maybe there had been frequent accidents in it. I will say it is now much easier to keep track of all the potential directions vehicles could be coming at you when backing up.

Edited by MaineFusion