wmpwi

That day we all fear . . .

I was t-boned in a parking lot by someone in a large pickup truck. He never touched the brakes, hit me in the drivers side door, moved the car about 12 foot sideways. Pictures tell the story. New respect for air bags. Both the drivers side door and drivers seat air bags deployed or my head would have gone through the side window. Car is fu@ked. I'm guessing between $12 - $15k, but I was getting 49.8 mpg ave since my upgrade. I might update after I hear something noteworthy.

IMG 20130924 182838 298

IMG 20130924 180009 297

IMG 20130924 180849 478

Holy cow... sorry about your incident, glad nobody was hurt!

It was just yesterday that someone pulled out in front of me as I was going 50MPH and I had to do a panic swerve and if there was someone in the next lane it would have been very bad, but thankfully there was room to dodge into.

Oh the humanity! Glad you are okay. Parking lots are among the most common areas where morons and :censored: :rant2: gather and attack.

BTW. what was the drivers excuse for destroying your ride?

Edited by SteveB_TX

<snip>

BTW. what was the drivers excuse for destroying your ride?

He never gave a reason, but since he never touched the brake pedal, I'd bet he was looking in a completely different direction (like down at his phone).

It really hurts seeing pictures like those but it's good to hear that all the safety functions worked like they supposed to keeping you out of harm's way.

Metal and plastic can easily be replaced bones and skin not so much.

Glad your OK. Nice shot of the deployed airbags. It's good to know that they do their job. Be very interested to know if the insurance fixes or totals your car. that damage looks pretty bad.

Edited by Toz

That is a good question, Depends on how badly the subframes were tweaked.

I have no clue, but he moved my car about 15 feet to the right of my line of travel and there were no tire marks made by my car being pushed sideways so I'm inclined to believe it was off the ground for some distance. I can't imagine it was less then 25 mph. It happened in a large parking lot so it was private property and no ticket was issued. I wished he had and maybe I would have felt better, but alas, no. Michigan is a 'no fault' state so my insurance gets the bill which by 1:30 today was an estimate of $12,500 and 25 days to repair. They're going to hold off finalizing that number because the shop wants to get into it first to make sure they haven't missed anything. The adjuster said that because it's a hybrid and those parts are undamaged, the salvage value is high so if there's another $3k worth of damage somewhere, they'll probably total it. Interesting side bar; the air bag(s) are about $6k alone. I special ordered it and it was just the way I wanted it. Don't see that happening again.

How fast was that idiot going? I sure hope he got a ticket!

Glad you are ok and that the safety tech did it's job.

Can someone explain what a No Fault State is? Seems unfair that your insurance company has to foot the bill for an accident that was not your fault.

I just noticed that you took the time to put on a shark fin too. Bummer. Man that sucks.

Glad you are ok and that the safety tech did it's job.

Can someone explain what a No Fault State is? Seems unfair that your insurance company has to foot the bill for an accident that was not your fault.

Short story is that we insure our own vehicles. I get whacked, no matter who's at fault, if I have collision insurance it gets fixed. If not, it doesn't. The safety equipment kept me from the hospital, maybe more. If my fault, I have a deductible, if the other guys at fault my insurance company will get it from him.

Edited by wmpwi

I just noticed that you took the time to put on a shark fin too. Bummer. Man that sucks.

Yeah, last week. If they total it, I'll be pealing that sucker off and taking it with me.

I wouldn't think private property would negate a ticket. Did you call the cops?

Correct. Private property = no jurisdiction = no ticket, but you can still call the cops (which I did) for the report because the insurance companies need it anyway. FYI, In Michigan, I think if the damage is less than $2K and no one is hurt you don't have to call the police.

I wouldn't think private property would negate a ticket. Did you call the cops?

My Sport Trac got hit-and-run (while it was parked) in the parking lot of Lowes. Cops came and took witness statements. They finally found the guy and luckily his insurance paid for the repairs. :)

Edited by SteveB_TX

Short story is that we insure our own vehicles. I get whacked, no matter who's at fault, if I have collision insurance it gets fixed. If not, it doesn't. The safety equipment kept me from the hospital, maybe more. If my fault, I have a deductible, if the other guys at fault my insurance company will get it from him.

Does this make your rates go up if your company has to pay the repairs on your car? Hardly seems fair at all!

Great pictures of the airbags doing their job. And most of all, I'm glad you were OK. As my mom used to say, "It's only a car, it can be replaced. You can't be."

Does this make your rates go up if your company has to pay the repairs on your car? Hardly seems fair at all!

Great pictures of the airbags doing their job. And most of all, I'm glad you were OK. As my mom used to say, "It's only a car, it can be replaced. You can't be."

Yeah, a lot and very unfair. Sometimes, they'll just cancel you altogether and then you have to go shopping. If you've been canceled, it's extremely expensive, possibly for several years thereafter.

Yeah, a lot and very unfair. Sometimes, they'll just cancel you altogether and then you have to go shopping. If you've been canceled, it's extremely expensive, possibly for several years thereafter.

That sucks! Whose idea was it to set up insurance that way? Some idiot is texting or eating a burger while driving and doesn't watch the road, blows into you, and YOU have to pay? I've had a couple of accidents over the past 5 years but they weren't my fault, my insurance didn't have to pay, and my insurance rates are still pretty reasonable. In fact, once I was hit by an uninsured driver, and even though my insurance company paid, they still didn't add points on my license or penalize me for it. I guess this is one of the few good things about Florida!

It looks like none of the windows were broken. Maybe he wasn't going as fast as you think and the heavier pick-up momentum pushed you that far sideways. Any speed to do that much damage would seem extreme to you though. Did you see him first and what was it like when the bags went off?

You aren't the only one. I feel for you. $12k so far, and it's been in the shop for 20 days. 16 year old hit me-had his license for 2 weeks.

1092958_10201913771987418_477755409_o.jp

I was t-boned in a parking lot by someone in a large pickup truck. He never touched the brakes, hit me in the drivers side door, moved the car about 12 foot sideways. Pictures tell the story. New respect for air bags. Both the drivers side door and drivers seat air bags deployed or my head would have gone through the side window. Car is fu@ked. I'm guessing between $12 - $15k, but I was getting 49.8 mpg ave since my upgrade. I might update after I hear something noteworthy.

Mind if I ask you where in Michigan this was? I was going to try and guess but the malls that Harbor Freight Tools are located look quite similiar in a lot of their locations.

Glad that you're ok and you're safe though. Then our job - we did what we are supposed to do.

He never gave a reason, but since he never touched the brake pedal, I'd bet he was looking in a completely different direction (like down at his phone).

I've noticed that there are a LOT of people who don't know how to drive, especially in Michigan. You'd think that having the auto industry in your city for over 100 years would mean that Michiganders would be some of the world's best and safest drivers, but that is sooo far from reality.

It really hurts seeing pictures like those but it's good to hear that all the safety functions worked like they supposed to keeping you out of harm's way.

Metal and plastic can easily be replaced bones and skin not so much.

Yeah, I always like stories and pictures like this because I used to work in crash safety engineering/simulations at my last job at a Tier 1 supplier (not necessarily for the Fusion specifically, but just in general). When I see people able to walk away alive from an accident, then it means that crash safety engineers did their job properly. (And it really makes you think about safety in a completely different way.) I wished that more people would have that kind of a mindset. *sigh*

Glad your OK. Nice shot of the deployed airbags. It's good to know that they do their job. Be very interested to know if the insurance fixes or totals your car. that damage looks pretty bad.

You might be able to sue him for damages (and given the pictures, you'd probably win).

I have no clue, but he moved my car about 15 feet to the right of my line of travel and there were no tire marks made by my car being pushed sideways so I'm inclined to believe it was off the ground for some distance. I can't imagine it was less then 25 mph. It happened in a large parking lot so it was private property and no ticket was issued. I wished he had and maybe I would have felt better, but alas, no. Michigan is a 'no fault' state so my insurance gets the bill which by 1:30 today was an estimate of $12,500 and 25 days to repair. They're going to hold off finalizing that number because the shop wants to get into it first to make sure they haven't missed anything. The adjuster said that because it's a hybrid and those parts are undamaged, the salvage value is high so if there's another $3k worth of damage somewhere, they'll probably total it. Interesting side bar; the air bag(s) are about $6k alone. I special ordered it and it was just the way I wanted it. Don't see that happening again.

My old 2002 Ford Focus wagon got t-boned in the parking lot of Oakland Mall (in Troy, MI). I ended up calling the cops and they originally said that they don't usually respond to accidents in parking lots cuz it's private property like you said and I told them that Oakland Mall security where nowhere to be found, so that's why they came. No ticket was issued, but I wished I had recorded the lady admitting fault when I talked to her afterwards.

Sue. At $12-15k minimum, it'll be worth suing. Whoever came up with the whole 'no fault' insurance thing is an idiot. No wonder why there's so much "junk" boxes running around on Michigan roads. And you see like people with beautiful brand spanking new cars that are completely wrecked. It's like there's no point to buying a new car in Michigan cuz some idiot is bound to hit it cuz they're idiots.

And it probably lifted your vehicle because the height of the hit is a bit higher, which is probably also why your windows didn't break.

And it's sometimes funny reading people's comments about how crappy government regulations are in terms of making you buy stuff (like airbags that are federally required) and how they're like shoving stuff down your throats (like fuel economy) but when something like this happens, people are like "thank God the airbags were there!" [rolls eyes...]

I DID have one other accident (Southbound on John R in Madison Heights, MI) where lady rear ended somebody that ended up rear-ending me. She got a ticket for it, so she was on the hook for the damages. Still, beacuse I had a claim, so it shows up on MY insurance record, which still has an impact (no pun intended) on my insurance rates. dumb.

In some ways, I am so glad that I don't live in Michigan (since I have much better insurance coverage in Ontario than I would have in Michigan).

Yeah, last week. If they total it, I'll be pealing that sucker off and taking it with me.

lol...