dalesky

Why your trip computer isn't accurate

My numbers as recorded on the trip 344.7 158.8EV 42.6MPG low fuel light on @50. I put 10.907 Gals in. Now for the NEW MATH. If I assume correctly

344.7/10.907=31.609 this is nowhere near 42.6. 344.7-158.8EV miles =185.9 Actual gas miles driven which even worse 185.9/10.907=17.047MPG.

EV miles are time spent running on the energy that has been stored in the HVB. It is true that the HVB is charged with regenerative braking (and regen when going down hill) but the overwhelming amount of the energy stored in the HVB is via charging from the ICE (i.e. burning gasoline). And when you think about it, the energy captured during regenerative braking is coming from kinetic energy created by the ICE burning gasoline. Same is true when going downhill since the ICE expended energy by first going uphill (what goes up must come down).

Because of that It is not really a valid calculation of MPG to exclude EV miles.

Edited by Texasota

over a full tank of gas (approx 11 gallons used and 500 miles driven more or less), approximately the same SOC should be fine.

I don't thank anyone could calculate this variance with any granularity! The difference in SOC has to be considered negligible.

FYI to Bob Cooke - 500 mile tanks are coming. Many of us will achieve 600 miles with ease, come summer.

Edited by md13ffhguy