dalesky

Why your trip computer isn't accurate

I try to not become obsessed with getting the absolute, utmost, whatever it takes, mileage from my Fusion.

On my trip to and from Florida recently I was getting 44 MPG at 65 MPH and 39 MPG at 72 MPH.

In heavy stop and go, high heat driving locally I was getting less than that sometimes.

The total average mileage using the cars computer was 41.5.

Two weeks, many miles, driving as normally as possible.

That to me is hybrid territory, especially given the size, weight, comfort, road handling and load capacity.

I saw a lot of out of state plates on "P" hybrids, and not once did I think that my Fusion was not more desirable, or much more attractive.

Mileage is just part of the equation in my satisfaction quotient.

I am not making a comment here about anyone else, just saying that for me, I am highly satisfied, and glad I bought this car.

I also love this forum, and am glad it is so open, polite and informative.

When I got the 13 FFH, I was expecting, based on the current 10 FFH I had, to be getting anywhere from 38-43 MPG in the new one. Well the first one pretty much everyone here knows how well that went, but I can say with pride that the HyTi is doing EXACTLY what I expected out of it. Even when I dont play the "game" I still get 43 or so out of it(like this morning).

As long as the car is within 5 MPG of its rating, I am happy with it. The 2010 was always in that range, and this new one show good promise as doing the same.

I just filled my car up for the first time and was shocked by the results. The trip computer had reported 9.88 gallons of fuel used and I was down to just a sliver of yellow on the fuel gauge. I didn't pay much attention to the gas pump while filling, but when it clicked off I looked at the screen and it reported exactly 12.000 gallons. My normal procedure for tracking fuel economy would be to slowly fill to the next click, but since I had already exceeded the trip computer by over 2 gallons and theoretically only had room for about another half gallon of gas given the tank size I just left it there.

The net result is while the trip computer told me I was getting 35.8 MPG, the calculations only came out to 29.5 MPG. I have never experienced such a discrepancy in any of my previous cars. The only thing that comes to mind is that I have been using the remote start to pre-warm the engine so I can enter EV mode sooner (and since it has been very cold out). I could see this potentially burning through 2 gallons of gas if every time it used 1/10 a gallon that wasn't picked up by the trip computer. I might try running this tank without any remote starts, then go back to it next time and see what the difference is.

I suspect you are correct, and the car did not leave the dealership with a full tank despite the gauge being full. I did reset the trip computer when leaving the dealer but in hindsight I should have also topped it off at a gas station to ensure an accurate count. Even if it was only 29.5 MPG that's still 50% more than I was getting before so I'm not complaining.

It's also good to know the remote start fuel usage is counted. I assume the timer is counting as well, since it registered about an hour more than I use to represent 100% city driving. Now I'll just have to guesstimate how often I drove on open highway.

I have and I adjust my mileage every tank for the discrepancy. The results I listed are after increasing my miles traveled to account for the odometer discrepancy.

So does that mean the car's odometer tends to underestimate miles travelled?

Correct. My car is off by .1 miles every 5, i.e. the car shows 4.9 miles when I've traveled 5. This translates to the odometer only showing 98 miles for every 100 driven. This is noticeable even on short trips. Once very common trip we make always shows as 6.3 miles in the FFH and 6.4 in the Prius. Another trip always shows as 12.6 miles in the FFH but 12.8 in the Prius. Another that always shows as 11.6 miles in the FFH shows as 11.8 in the Prius. Thus at every fill up I add 2 miles for each 100 miles on the odometer to my miles for that tank.

Interesting. Is this true of all FFHs? Have you ever tested it in another one?

The Gen 1 FFH computed mileage is 4% too high but the odometer is 2% too low like in the Gen 2 for a net of 2% too high or about 1 mpg. That's pretty close but since they're all the same you know they could make it exact if they were reguired to. The Prii are much worse.

In theory? or do you have documentation that says that. I ask because I have been unable to find absolute documentation of that or verification of that from the dealership. I think this is a huge issue and I would love to find some definitive info ..... :)

This one was easy to prove out. The trip summary when shutting down and starting up after 10 minutes of remote start are identical. I also went 1 week without remote start and one week with it and found an almost 2 gallon difference.