B25Nut

Ambient lighting now available for SE

I noticed yesterday that Ambient Lighting is now available as an option for the 2014 SE model. I called my dealer and I have an appointment to have it installed Monday in my 2013. This was the only thing that I really, really wanted that I couldn't get with my SE. This, added to the fact that I'm now averaging 44.3 mpg, really means that I couldn't be happier, and will probably be driving this car for at least another eight years. Next week I'll be one of the first to see how the factory lighting looks with the Dune interior.

That's something I miss from my 2010 FFH that's not on my 2013 SE FFH... please post a follow-up on how it goes, thanks.

That's something I miss from my 2010 FFH that's not on my 2013 SE FFH... please post a follow-up on how it goes, thanks.

It's too bad the cup holders are not lit like they were in our 2010. I think the feature is somewhat lacking without that.

Dave

Wow!! If you don't mind my asking, how much does this cost? We wanted ambient lighting too, but not enough to justify the titanium cost.

The ambient lighting in my 2010 was available all of the time, not just when the headlights are on.

My cup holders are now lit anytime that I want them to be.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1049-ambient-lighting-in-console-cup-holders/?do=findComment&comment=5144

Wow!! If you don't mind my asking, how much does this cost? We wanted ambient lighting too, but not enough to justify the titanium cost.

$249 plus $90 labor. I'm also getting the illuminated door sills installed so the labor includes that. Not cheap, but I've only purchased one other thing this year to "treat" myself (a MOVA Globe, which I think many here would also love to have http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Blue-Silver-MOVA-Globe/dp/B005UOZBPK ). The door sills were the only item that I didn't get on the FFH I had to travel 200 miles for that would have been on the one I special ordered from my local dealer. For me, this now makes my car complete.

$249 plus $90 labor. I'm also getting the illuminated door sills installed so the labor includes that. Not cheap, but I've only purchased one other thing this year to "treat" myself (a MOVA Globe, which I think many here would also love to have http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Blue-Silver-MOVA-Globe/dp/B005UOZBPK ). The door sills were the only item that I didn't get on the FFH I had to travel 200 miles for that would have been on the one I special ordered from my local dealer. For me, this now makes my car complete.

That globe is really cool! I'm curious to see how it turns out and see pictures once it's done. Very cool!

Will you post photos when it's done? I don't think I even know what ambient lighting is, now I'm very curious! LOL!

I'm wanting to get LED DRLs on the front ( I saw a pic somewhere else and I love it!), and the Titanium taillights. But now I'm interested in seeing what the Ambient lights are.

I noticed yesterday that Ambient Lighting is now available as an option for the 2014 SE model. I called my dealer and I have an appointment to have it installed Monday in my 2013. This was the only thing that I really, really wanted that I couldn't get with my SE. This, added to the fact that I'm now averaging 44.3 mpg, really means that I couldn't be happier, and will probably be driving this car for at least another eight years. Next week I'll be one of the first to see how the factory lighting looks with the Dune interior.

Are you driving it here, or flying in next month?

Check out http://bp3.ford.com/2014-Ford-Fusion?branding=1&lang=en#/Accessories/Config[|Ford|Fusion|2014|1|1.|.P0L.....BRD.CL8Z-13E700-AA.99U.FWD.44J.NONFLEET.] Click on the details of the Interior Light Kit.

It should look like this except for there are no cupholder lights.

Edited by B25Nut

Are you driving it here, or flying in next month?

We are flying into Chiccago (thru Phoenix) on Oct.1. The iHobby show is Oct 3-6, public days the 5th & 6th. If the business pays, my wife and I fly.

Aww too bad, planning on taking the Fusion since its just me and my friend going.

I'll try to get some pictures done tonight that show it off well, but I love the Ambient Lighting! It is not tied into MFT. A small push-button switch (which just changes the colors) is installed on the center console behind the cup holders. Unlike getting it with the Titanium trim, the driver's cupholder is illuminated (going along with my wife's feeling that Ford treats the passenger as a second class citizen, the right side cupholder is not illuminated). Each footwell gets a light, along with the inside of the center console storage box. They come on whenever you open the door and when the headlights are on. You have a choice of colors, but the dark blue is the only one I'll have it set to. It may be wise for others to get this done ASAP if you want it, before Ford finds out how long it really takes to install. Ford told my dealer it was a one hour job, which is what they charged me for, but it took the technician five hours. He did an excellent job.

What I'm even happier about are the illuminated door sill plates. This has always been one area of the FFH that I wasn't happy with. The way they come from the factory, that area just shouts "I'm plastic and cheap". Now, it looks like a top of the line luxury car, and the glowing blue letters of FUSION really stand out. With the Dune interior, that area comes from the factory with a Dune color. The only option with the illumninated plates is a dark plastic that surrounds the stainless steel, which had me worried about how it would look, but the color makes them blend perfectly into the dark carpet. This is an option I would recommend to everyone.

I'll try to get some pictures done tonight that show it off well, but I love the Ambient Lighting! It is not tied into MFT. A small push-button switch (which just changes the colors) is installed on the center console behind the cup holders. Unlike getting it with the Titanium trim, the driver's cupholder is illuminated (going along with my wife's feeling that Ford treats the passenger as a second class citizen, the right side cupholder is not illuminated). Each footwell gets a light, along with the inside of the center console storage box. They come on whenever you open the door and when the headlights are on. You have a choice of colors, but the dark blue is the only one I'll have it set to. It may be wise for others to get this done ASAP if you want it, before Ford finds out how long it really takes to install. Ford told my dealer it was a one hour job, which is what they charged me for, but it took the technician five hours. He did an excellent job.

What I'm even happier about are the illuminated door sill plates. This has always been one area of the FFH that I wasn't happy with. The way they come from the factory, that area just shouts "I'm plastic and cheap". Now, it looks like a top of the line luxury car, and the glowing blue letters of FUSION really stand out. With the Dune interior, that area comes from the factory with a Dune color. The only option with the illumninated plates is a dark plastic that surrounds the stainless steel, which had me worried about how it would look, but the color makes them blend perfectly into the dark carpet. This is an option I would recommend to everyone.

B25NUT,

Thanks for the update, I had ambient lighting on my 2010 FFH and really missed it when I bought the 2013 FFH SE . When I first heard of the ambient lighting kit for the 2013 FFH, I was at my dealer and they had just happened to have one in stock, I bought it and I will have it installed tomorrow.

The Flex has the Ambient, and last night the cupholders really stood out. I really would like to know their reasoning behind NOT lighting them up in the new Fusion.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/uploads/gallery/album_250/gallery_11174_250_29893.jpg

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/uploads/gallery/album_250/gallery_11174_250_48572.jpg

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/uploads/gallery/album_250/gallery_11174_250_18528.jpg

I'm having a problem uploading the photos. They are on the above links.

These are two second exposures so the lighting isn't quite as bright as this, except for the cupholder, which really stands out. There is also a light in the center storage box that doesn't show in the photos. The illuminated door sills can be seen in two of the photos

That looks nice, except for the one dead cupholder. Not sure why they would do it like that.

Dave

I had the Ambient Lighting installed today, my pictures aren't as detailed as B25Nut, but gets the point across. The lighting works the same as B25NUT. I had the small LEDs put in the rear console, in the same place as the Fusion Ti comes installed, lighting the rear footwells. The SA came out to me and asked where I would like the small lights installed. Evidently you can have them installed where ever you want as long as the wires are long enough. There is no set place in the directions, it's up to you and the Tech.

image-11-1.jpg

The larger LEDs are in the front footwells, I did have the Ti pedals installed back in May.

image-10-3.jpg

During the installation the SA came out to me and asked if I wanted a different switch to control the lighting. The Technician remembered seeing another Fusion with a dual switch on the passenger side, I have Auto Park with only one switch and a blank switch cover. The switch he remembered had the Auto Park and an "A" on it. So I said yes to the SA. No drilling and only $28.00 for the switch. It works perfectly. The "A" is perfect for Ambient Lighting. It actually may be for a Fusion Ti with Ambient Lighting. The switch part No. is, DG9Z-13D730-BA

image-18-1.jpg

That's just a piece of insulation on the seat, I didn't notice it until I saw the picture,

The switch idea is really nice.

Shows you how well customer service could work if someone actually cares!

That's my Dealer too, Gkinla and I share... ;)

Edited by GrySql

While I was there I also had the DRLs turned on. No hassles, no grief just an okay we'll do it. The SA wrote it up on the RO and when I picked up the car the DRLs were on. GrySql also had his DRLs turned on at this Dealer, No hassles, no grief just an okay we'll do it.

Tonight was the first time I drove while it was dark with the Ambient lighting. It is really nice. I found out, however, that the light in the center storage doesn't do much good if you store a lot in there. Most of the illumination is blocked. So, anyone having the lights installed should have that light put into the second cupholder. It's only a couple of inches away so it should be no problem.

During the installation the SA came out to me and asked if I wanted a different switch to control the lighting. The Technician remembered seeing another Fusion with a dual switch on the passenger side, I have Auto Park with only one switch and a blank switch cover. The switch he remembered had the Auto Park and an "A" on it. So I said yes to the SA. No drilling and only $28.00 for the switch. It works perfectly. The "A" is perfect for Ambient Lighting. It actually may be for a Fusion Ti with Ambient Lighting. The switch part No. is, DG9Z-13D730-BA

Can someone with a HyTi confirm that this is where your ambient lighting switch is? What about a HyTi without Park Assist? I would much prefer that setup to drilling a spot for a button.

My next question is: how much did it cost you? B25Nut already said it cost him a little over $300 and I'm curious what your cost was since the cost will be the deciding factor in whether we do this or not.