Sign in to follow this  
eiching1

Pin 15 in radio harness

Does anyone know what the wiring for pin 15 goes to/does? The information I have shows it to be "Voltage supplied in Start"-(overload protected). I just hooked up a new Pioneer headunit with a wiring harness. However, the harness did not have wires for pin 5 (which I discovered to be the antenna booster), 18/19 which are for the steering wheel controls The harness has pin 1 (voltage supplied at all times- overload protected), pin 2 (Accesory delay relay switched output), ground and the -8- speakerwires (pins 8,9,10,11,12,21,22,23). So what function is pin 15 for? Is it only related to the factory radio? Everything seems to work fine. Any help would be appreciated as I want to make sure all items are present and accounted for. Thanks in advance for the info.

Does anyone know what the wiring for pin 15 goes to/does? The information I have shows it to be "Voltage supplied in Start"-(overload protected). I just hooked up a new Pioneer headunit with a wiring harness. However, the harness did not have wires for pin 5 (which I discovered to be the antenna booster), 18/19 which are for the steering wheel controls The harness has pin 1 (voltage supplied at all times- overload protected), pin 2 (Accesory delay relay switched output), ground and the -8- speakerwires (pins 8,9,10,11,12,21,22,23). So what function is pin 15 for? Is it only related to the factory radio? Everything seems to work fine. Any help would be appreciated as I want to make sure all items are present and accounted for. Thanks in advance for the info.

Just a guess but it could be the signal that controls the 10 minute accessory delay. The radio receives constant power and it has a timer that keeps it on for 10 minutes. At least that's how the one in the LS worked. Can't say for sure if that's what pin 15 is for, though.

akirby, Thanks for the reply but by description I think that's pin number 2 and my radio still works in that manner. Thanks again though.

Not sure, I just dropped in the Alpine from my expired lease truck. No loss of any functions or speakers, so it must not be important. Dimmer signal for the display?

The lighting on my Alpine (CDA-9813) looks sweet with the dash lighting.

A little info. from my audio mods last week...

I tried using the rear 6x9 subs/factory amp. Sounded alright until I added the Rockford 12. Couldn't tune the low end well having only one low pass sub output, so I axed the factory stuff. Sounds much better without it.

One interesting note. The adapter harness for the factory sub amp has RCA connectors. Only one of the two RCAs actually send a signal to the amp. The subs are 2 ohms, so they are likely running the two speakers in series (four ohm load) from a one channel amp. This info might be important if you rewire those speakers from an aftermarket amp or receiver only designed to run at 4 ohms.

To any Fusion shoppers - don't waste your money on the premium sound system. It's just as horrible as all other factory Ford systems (like the Mach 460 POS that WAS in my Mustang). If you do get it, a nice aftermarket receiver really makes those factory speakers rock. The front doors use separates (6x8?? + tweeter in the A-pillar).

The Fusion interior is easy to rip apart and put back together. Just don't expect to run an amp power wire easy. I had to drill. If you have an ATX car, there is probably a plastic plug for the missing clutch components on the firewall. You can run the wire through the plug after drilling a hole. Thats what I did for my parents Fukus Wagon. For the Fusion, I ran the wire though the firewall on the passenger side, behind the splash shield and up through the fender.

dashalpine.jpg

amp.jpg

sub.jpg

Maybe some day I will finally carpet that sub enclosure (built it in 2003).

mtl1977, Yea I though about the dimmer too but I am not sure. The DVD manual I have does not mention it. Just shows pin 15 -Hot at start and goes to the radio and off somewhere else ( I will have to trace the "somewhere else") Also, do you ever use your AM radio? Did you hook up the antenna power lead? I had absolutely no AM (sports talk) until I found out there was an antenna booster (see above post-pin 5).

by description I think that's pin number 2

Oops - you're right. Didn't see that one.