Pebbleskn

Interested in purchasing new FFH - Help!

Hi ,

I am considering purchasing a 2013/2014 FFH. I have been reading everyone's posts and wanted to see if anyone could provide any helpful tips or information to help me.

With as hot as it gets here, I am miserable with the leather seats in my van so I definitely don't want the leather. In my search though, there are a lot of new features that seem to only come with the luxury package that includes the leather. What options does everyone highly recommond - are there any that you don't think are worth the money? What about battery life? I tried going through some of the forums, but ended up a little confused :(. I understand that Ford gives you the 8/100,000 mile warranty. Has anyone researched what the cost for replacing the battery outside of warranty is and when it would likely need to be replaced? I plan on keeping this car a while and ideally turning it over to my daughter in 7 or so years when she starts driving, so I want something dependable and this car gets a really good reliability rating.

I drive mostly around town, but am always on the go so I am definitely excited about the mileage and am hopeful that it is at least close to the EPA rating, but don't want to overpay and be let down with multiple problems (I saw that a lot of the early manufactured 2013s had and lot of mechanical/electrical issues right after purchase).

Sorry for the rambling. Any help readers here can provide will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

The reason you aren't finding anything regarding the HVB(High Voltage Battery) is because, so far, no one has had to replace one, and the few that did have an issue were replaced under warranty. When and if the time comes to replace it, consider it about the same cost as to replace a transmission. The lifetime on the pack is roughly the equivalent to a well designed transmission, good for at least 300K miles. With the computer management systems keeping the charge/discharge rates in set parameters, the batteries will last the life of the car.

It is too bad you cant get many of the nice features unless you go all out, but for me, the HyTi was well worth it. Great car, just wish the seats were as comfortable as the SE Luxury package, thats the only grip I have. The drivers assist package is well worth the money, and the adaptive cruise is great if you do a lot of highway driving.

We have the SE Hybrid and chose it because there really was not anything on the HyTi that we felt we would miss. We did not want leather seats and my wife refused to buy the car with the standard 18" HyTi rims. She said they were ugly. The 19" H-Spoke rims and sweet.

The only option that would have been nice to have, that we do not have, would have been the Memory feature for the power drivers seat since I am 6' 1" and my wife is 5' 6".

The adaptive cruise is great.

I would really like AppLink to be made available as well.

Edited by jeffo65

I was in your position, I didn't really want the leather seats but for me it was really important to have the memory seat and mirrors so both my wife and I can drive the car without needed to mess up someone eases settings once they find the sweet spot. I also really enjoy the electrochromic mirrors that came in the Luxury Package. If I could have gotten those features without the luxury package I might have have skipped it but that is why I got the SE + Luxury. I must admit the seats really are comfortable and the leather just makes it look slick.

Edited by eyesonly57

If seats are important to you, it's probably worth a trip to the dealer to try each one. In 2009 when I was looking for my 2010 FFH I went to my dealer and asked for them to get the keys for a Fusion that had cloth seats and one that had leather, as I didn't see a need for leather since I believed cloth was better in hot/cold weather, and said I wanted to do a 'butt test' to see which one I liked better. When I went there I was definitely leaning toward the cloth, but after that test I was definitely on favor of the leather (and the 2013's leather is more comfy than the 2010, IMHO). So probably good to take a trip over and see for yourself, and go from there.

And don't worry about the hybrid battery, I swear that is the first thing I hear people worry about when we talk about hybrids. My 2005 Prius (now owned by co-worker) has just passed 200K miles and HVB is fine, and my 2010 FFH (now owned by wife's friend) has just passed 163K miles and HVB is fine.

Edited by jeff_h

I seem to recall cloth seats being just as hot as the leather, only difference is the cloth absorbs your sweat. EWWW, they tend to get sweaty stinky after a few years. Leather isnt half as bad as vinyl was! Those were nasty hot sticky in the summer, at least the leather breaths, and cools down quickly. My HyTi is black, and I have yet had a time where the seats were unbearably hot when getting in. I too use the global down feature to cool the car down when its how. Heck I have driven it quite a few days in the high 80's low 90's with the windows down, and AC off, and was comfortable.

One thing I have found, and this may be true for others, if the leather has a gloss to it, they tend to be hot and sticky like vinyl, but if the surface is dull, like they are in the Fusion, they dont feel as hot, or hold the heat. I also noticed that seat like that tend to crack and look as though the surface is coming off, which apparently it is, I believe there is a coating on the leather, and that is what is holding the heat. The seats in the F350 were like that and they were Prairie Tan in color, very light, like the Dune, but they were hot! None of my other cars had seats like that, and I cant recall any of them being that hot.

I agree on the reverse sensing. Twice it has warned me of something that didn't catch my eye in the rear view camera.

I agree with B25Nut whole heartedly.... but I am warned quite often. (hehe).. I figure since it's there to help me.. just put it in reverse and push the go pedal. It someone with a shopping cart is stupid enough to walk behind my car they are lucky that I have that on our car.

But truly... I am warned every morning as I back out of our garage. It warns me that a car is approaching from the right side... (which is actually our trash can)... and I am so thankful that it warned me..... before I put a dent or scratch on that big piece of blue plastic trash can.! Or more importantly,, knock it over and dump a bunch of empty beer cans in our driveway that the wife would have to clean up.

Off to work.........

This is what I was able to find quickly to help answer your question..

The whole battery assembly for the trunk which includes tons of electronics, cooling, etc etc. MSRP (You can usually get around 20-25% off this price depending on dealer)

$3537.26

I cant find just the replacement battery listed thru ford but im sure its out there as a part number. My guess would be somewhere in the 1700-2000 range for the battery alone.

And FYI, here in South Florida, it is REALLY hot in the summer, and even with the Charcoal Black Leather interior, the car never feels uncomfortable or hot.

I have to agree 100%. I don't live in Florida but here in Indiana it can get pretty darn hot as well. I was VERY concerned when the wife wanted black on black and thought that the leather seats were going to be unbearable. BUT.... never ever has been an issue. The heat in the car was like any other car,,, and like djminfll I would automatically roll down the windows to let normal heat out that any other car couldn't do... BUT to my surprise the seats were never an issue. I am very happy about that.