jeff_h

2013 Cabin Air Filter Replacement

This video created by user Darthsnipe on BOF -- was done on a 1.6L Fusion, though it probably would also be the same procedure for the hybrid.

He says it is his first video and I think it's a great job for doing the job AND holding the camera too... would have been so much easier with an assistant running the camera.

The only suggestion I have is one from experience, which is when taking off the trim pieces and setting them aside, don't just set them on the ground outside the door as it makes it too easy to step on them by mistake -- so better to set them out of the way (like in the back seat) where it would reduce chances of getting stepped on.

Edited by jeff_h

I totally agree in all of my old (JPN) cars it used to be a 5 min job. pop two hooks that hold the glove compartment. open the snap on the air filter and swap. snap and re fit. done.

This seems to be a steep back.

Edited by majorleeslow

I saw this video before I attempted to change the filter in my Z this week. Wow! The Z has two screws at the bottom of the glove box, and four clips holding it in. No need to tear the dash apart like in the video! Too bad my local O'Reilly store can't get the correct filter for the Z. Their computer only lists the one for the 2010-2012 as being compatible with the 2013/14. Wrong! I hope I can find an easier route to take when it comes to changing the filter in the FFH next month. :)

What is everyone's opinion of RockAuto? They sell the correct FP-71 Motorcraft filter for $11.64 plus shipping. I can get two of them for our hybrids for less than what the Ford dealer wants for ONE!

Edited by SteveB_TX

Rock Auto is a good place to get parts from, but shipping can make it cost more, so plan out purchases so you have a large order which reduces shipping costs to pennies per piece.

The similar thread on the Energi forum got bumped so I figured well I better give this a try since the weather was nice, reviewed the youtube clip again and noted the steps on a piece of paper and went to work and replaced the filter on both cars. Mine has 21,700 miles with mostly highway driving, and hers has 21,100 miles with almost all in the 'burbs. I didn't keep exact track on how long it took to replace, for my car was about 18 minutes and then hers about 12 minutes - so it is pretty quick when you know what to look for (thanks to that youtube clip, however I skipped the part about detaching the wiring harness and just held the glove box on my shins while I sat in the seat and swapped out the filter). Here is how they looked after 21k of use:

First filter from my car, compared to the new filter:
Cabin_Air1_zpsa10094d4.jpg

Next filter from her car, looks about the same, maybe a little less grubby:
Cabin_Air3_zps4c5cbfe4.jpg

Filter from her car held up to the sunlight, is dirty but isn't awful:
Cabin_Air4_zpsc5d87333.jpg

I have nearly 30K and 14 months on mine, though I rarely use the HVAC except in winter. Wonder how long it lasts before needing to be replaced.

I wonder if the Freestyle has one, if you guys think your moldy smelling AC is bad, try a 9 year old one that probably has dog hair in it. WOOOF does it have a FUNK to it.

1000 Internets for yo my friend! Thanks, now I have another project :)

I probably should look into the filters on the HyTi and T since they are a year old now, though I rarely use the HVAC during the summer.