aldwill

What is the best LRR tire for hybrid

HI,

My 2010 had 28k miles on it with michelin Energy tires. Had to change them at 35k , decided to try michelin Primacy MxM4 , which I was told had better wear, handling and still had a good LRR rating. Now at 75k and looking to get another 10k. My gas milage does not seem to have suffered much if any . I get 38 around town and similiar on the highway. Road noise is no worse than before and ride seems good.

I would like to hear other hybrid results to see if other brands have better results. I have heard of mpg 45 or higher by some users. In summer on flat roads The best I've done in a 400 mile fillup was 42.

Thanks

Good question, I am nowhere near needing tires, but am a bit unsure of the 18" Goodyear LS-2 on my 2013 FFH.

Wonder how they will do in the snow...

These below are both LRR tires -

The tire I have been most impressed with are a set from Continentals i recently put on my wife's 2011 Santa Fe

Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology UTQG: 680 A A / Serv. Desc: 107H

Now this exact tire does not exist in our size, but similar technology in the

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology UTOG: 700 A A - $159 in 235/45R18

This is what I'd go with, the tires are incrediblely quiet, insanely quiet. Great grip and the specs

are fantastic. Can't really say how much gas I'd save, but on the Hyundai it does seem to be

doing a few MPGs better than the OEM Bridgestones. I suspect that will be excellent in the snow.

The tire itself is a special compound and inside the tire is a dampening material to make it smooth and quiet.

Very impressive....Hyundai drives incredibly smooth, felt like new. Even my wife, not a car person, remarks

all the time how great it drives.

One is an SUV/CrossOver tire, the other is a passenger tire, but I checked with Continental and it's the same

basic technology and rubber compound. Tire Rack tech person told me that the quiet ride I am

enjoying in the Hyundai should last much of the life of the tire. So I am very sold on these. I may switch

out for my Goodyears come early winter.

The LS2 GY tires handle extremely well in snow. Surprised the hell out of me too. Drove through all snow conditions last year and also on ice going downhill. They did so well that I almost put a set on the 2010, but traded it off instead. They dont hurt mileage either.

On the TireRack website, the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology seem to be getting pretty good reviews. However, on Consumer Reports website, reviewers seem to have constant complaints about tire wear, quality issues and reduced fuel economy. At the same time TireRack users have been pretty hard on the FFH's OE Michelin tires.

I'd love some independent tests that would provide a more detailed analysis of fuel economy differences between tires. Consumer Reports colored circles are pretty vague on this.

I've seen comments for both tires where people are saying they better performance by increasing tire pressures above what is recommended. I'd like to know how much impact this has on tire wear. At some point too much air pressure in the tires will cause them to wear really badly.

I've seen that difference and tend to trust TireRack buyers more than CR. They sell a hell of alot of tires

and do objective testing. CR - who knows who those people are, useful info, but I am always a bit

skeptical of them. Any tire will vary over a large number of users.

Your mileage difference with any other tire of the same size is going to be a few miles at best, you'll

never get an exact figure if it's definitely more or less under the same conditions. It's too subjective

to make an informed decision based on that.

Tire reviews are a dime a dozen. Cant trust any of them. Some rave over them, others trash them. It all depends on, road condition, tire inflation, and how you drive. What works for one driver in California, wont be the same for someone in Wisconsin. This makes it extremely difficult to choose a tire. I personally have found Cooper tires to have great traction and handling, yet, they dont make a tire that would work on the FFH.

Usually Michelin tires are some of the best, but the OEM tires from Michelin have been crap, which makes it difficult to want to get another set from them. We have had Michelins that were useless in rain on a Honda Accord, yet have had Michelins on a Grand Marquis that were awesome in all weather. I have had Goodyear Eagles that were S**T on the 2010 Fusion Sport, yet the exact same tire was on the 2010 Flex and had excellent traction. They had changed the tread design sometime between when they were installed on the Fusion to the Flex. I wouldn't hesitate to get another set of them and was somewhat disappointed when I found the tires on the Flex were not the same goodyears but some other brand.

I considered the Continental Pure Contact EcoPlus from Tire Rack for my 2010 FFH with 58 K miles. I couldn't find a local source. The reviews in Tire rack are mostly good ( can they be stacked ? ) but there were several where the tires couldn't be balanced. That would be a nightmare to remedy with a third party installer. I decided to go with Costco Michelin Energi MXV4 S8 OEMs. These are not yet worn out at 58 K miles but they wouldn't last another 10 K after a rotation at 60 K. I'll keep two of the best old ones in case of unrepairable damage for temporary use.

I am actually planning on buying these tires in the summer. Much cheaper than the beloved Michelins,

and my wife has the SUV variant on her car - and they are great - did great all winter and low

tread wear, really quiet - no flats or any issues once properly balanced by my Ford dealer (on her

Hyundai Santa Fe!) - can't just add weights to a new tire, had to strip off old ones - duh.

It's the same tread technology in the passenger car tires, I actually spoke with somebody at Continental

to ask questions about them to be sure.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=PureContact+with+EcoPlus+Technology&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=345VR8PUREC&tab=Sizes

Price is right for sure and reviews seem good. When I had my 2010 FFH, the dealer advised against and in fact would not

install anything other than the stock Michelin tires - hybrid mileage would suffer and they wanted nothing to do with it.

Now they don't care and I think those Goodyear LS2s are OK, but not a great tire overall.

My biggest concern is winter driving. One drawback LRR tires have is poor wet and snow traction, so finding a good balance between both is key. The GY tires I have now, HORRIBLE in snow, and slip in rain too. What is odd, the first car that shall not be named had the same model tires and they did very good in snow.

The Hankook Optimo that were on the Flex had the best snow traction I ever had in a regular tire and were also listed as LRR, but from what I understand, they wear fast(which adds up, softer tires grip in snow much better, but wear faster). I will be replacing these tires before next winter, so hoping I can get a good idea which has the best of both, MPG and traction.

I am very close to having to get tires on mine. The thumping from one of them is annoying the crap out of me. Considering how poorly they did in the snow, They must go before next winter. Has anyone come up with a consensus on 18" LRR tires that have decent traction in all weather?