majorleeslow

Carbon fiber hood and trunk anyone? Lighter car= :) mpg ?

I've been playing with the idea that if I reduce weight (long gorgeous but heavy hood) by substituting on metals with stronger / lighter Carbon fiber components. May be Racing bucket seats etc. How much of a difference in weight it would make.

Any estimates on weight reduction welcome.

Corrected link thanks for catching the error Corncobs. I must have been dozing off.

that's great any pounds less = faster pick-up better stopping distance and ofcourse mpgeez. not to mention the coolness factor. :)

check this out.

Edited by majorleeslow

I doubt you'll ever get payback in fuel savings. If it were worth the cost then Ford would already build the car that way. As it is, I don't think you can justify the cost with a payback period. If you don't care about that and have money to burn then by all means :spend:

Yes you are right about the pay back period. And it does have a steep cost but on this car any weight reduction can do miracles for pick up and coasting on EV. And I just want to find out if someone had tried it and seen any improvement.

Is the hood all Aluminum?

How would the carbon fiber act in a crash?

It would be much more resistant to an impact.

Could it shear off the hinges as opposed to a crumple?

I believe CF would be more resistant compared to metals for smaller impacts. the part acts like a sprtng and bounce the smaller hits with no dents or dings. However the bigger heavier crashes it shatters as its brittle.

If you watched a F1 nose crash test it would give you a good idea.

Keep in mind that all parts of the car are designed to absorb impact. Removing any one of those components reduces the crumple zones and increases the chances of injury in a frontal crash. So replace at your own risk.