MaineFusion

Just about everything you ever wanted to know about the FFH battery

I found two extremely informative forum threads about the FFH battery and keeping it charged. The first is on the Ford Fusion Energi forums and the second is on the Ford C-Max Energi Forums. The second thread is especially informative with a link to Amazon with a recommended battery charger. I'm thinking the advice on these threads will not only extend the life of the 12v battery, but maybe help some folks who keep having issues with this battery.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1190-bxt-99r-390-battery-discharge-plot/

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/1645-12-volt-battery-soc/

I just placed an order for that charger. The BS message is the only remaining issue that I have with my FFH now. Maybe Ford will have this problem solved for the 2015 model. In reality it's a minor inconvenience. Having my music play until I open my door isn't that important. The frustrating thing is that keeping the 12v charged is one of the basics of automobile design. It's not rocket science.

One question: should the battery be charged using the terminals under the hood or should it be hooked up directly to the battery?

Let us know how it goes. I've put it on my Amazon wishlist and will probably order it in the near future. My lawn tractor's battery will also appreciate the charger.

I hope some really good aftermarket gel batteries come out as an alternative to the standard OEM battery. I don't know what is gained by having a midget battery other than maybe 5-10 lbs less weight. Certainly, Ford won't be making a significant amount of money by being able to sell extra batteries because of a lack of aftermarket alternatives.

These cars don't need a big battery with a lot of cranking amps. The batterty does have a small but significant electronics load when the car is off. There were a batch of marginal batteries in the 2010 Gen 1 FFH's also. A bigger battery is not the best solution. A small one that works right is the answer.

The amount of time our car has spent at the dealer has been as much a function of the dealer's poor service and a shortage of parts from Ford's distribution channels as the total number of issues. Multiple times the dealer has caused themselves more work by damaging additional trim pieces trying to replace the ones that came damaged from the factory.

Same here, around half of my visits could have been avoided if it weren't for dealer inflicted errors/damage.

Here is PDF link for the 2013 Hybrid HVB removal I don't think there is much information for us "normal" people but still interesting in case you need to take out the HVB.

http://elvsolutions.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Fusion_MKZ_Energi%20Battery%20Removal_Final.pdf

Two interesting things, first it has the First Responders Identification section, which points out the badge locations. So when they approach a wreck, they will be looking for those badges, so if they are removed, they run the risk of not knowing its a Hybrid, unless they open the hood.

Second, The VIN. For the Fusion Titanium Energi. its P0S.... hmmm P0S, really? Thats not a nice thing to call a very expensive car. LOL

I was going to clean up my FFH by removing the Hybrid badges. After reading the HBV First Responders Identification section I think I'll leave everything as is.

Probably a good idea. A first responder getting hit by 300v from the HBV because they didn't know what they were approaching would not be a good thing.

Probably a good idea. A first responder getting hit by 300v from the HBV because they didn't know what they were approaching would not be a good thing.

Plus its DC. It hits much harder than AC does!

I have a charger with LED readout, that charged small, regular and Gel(AGM) batteries, and can be used to start too. I brought two Optima redtops back to life with it, took a couple weeks, but they came fully back, and considering they were used to start a 7.3L diesel, thats quite a feat. Couldn't help an lead/acid though, once they go, they are gone. If the one you got is anything like mine, it should be pretty good at topping off the battery.