jeffo65

Fusion Rear Bumper Protector?

It's definitely bling... but so are the illuminated door sills. The stainless steel looks very cool.

I wonder how secure the metal will be with the 3M tape though. Tape doesn't sound secure.

That 3M tape is some strong stuff. Very tough to remove once its set. As long as the surface is perfectly clean, it will hold on forever.

I need to get some of that for my cars. I also need something to put between the grill cover and grill to keep it from getting grit between it and scuffing up the chrome.

Do you have any ideas for what to use for this? I found that the chrome grille didn't get scratched at all, but the plastic grille cover got scratched. I scrubbed mine yesterday to get it ready for winter and there are horizontal lines from the chrome grille bars scratching the plastic near each of the 4 zip-ties. The rest of it is fine.

Yeah the one I order from eBay was shipped from China. To Cali it took roughly 2.5 weeks. It does stick out a tad bit but that's because the bumper extends the trunk. I'd say no more than a couple of millimeters. But it's not that bad and does help when the kids are sliding their backpacks from the trunk to the bumper (grr). Thinking about it, I'm not sure if I placed it budded up against the trunk lip which would probably not show the couple of millimeters if I did. But I'm not 100% sure. BTW I did not order from that item above just showing a better picture that they had.

Would you mind posting a pic of what this looks like with the trunk closed please? We might be interested in a product like this, but I'd like to fully understand the aesthetics first. The company website doesn't show any pics with a closed trunk.

Edited by hybridbear

Do you have any ideas for what to use for this? I found that the chrome grille didn't get scratched at all, but the plastic grille cover got scratched. I scrubbed mine yesterday to get it ready for winter and there are horizontal lines from the chrome grille bars scratching the plastic near each of the 4 zip-ties. The rest of it is fine.

Maybe if you would use some clear plastic garden hose cut it open and slide it over the grill bars. Now when you zip tie the cover to the grill it doesn't rubb anymore.

Would you mind posting a pic of what this looks like with the trunk closed please? We might be interested in a product like this, but I'd like to fully understand the aesthetics first. The company website doesn't show any pics with a closed trunk.

Use the same roll of clear tape that I used, it will stick to whatever you put it on. Just make sure you use dish soapy water to get it positioned, when it's dry it's really stuck - but can easily be removed later. That clear plastic tubing is a good idea too, a hardware store ought to carry that.

Even my clear plastic bumper protector can be seen when looking closely at the back of the car, and it's clear and thin.

My guess is the steel one shows, especially on a light colored car. On black, maybe not so much.

Just to summarize, there are a number of options when choosing a rear bumper protector:

Choice 1: Ford's Sticker

DS7Z-17B807-AA.jpg

Choice 2: A "clear sticker"

photocopy_zpsb35005db.jpg

Choice 3: A steel plate (held by 3M tape)

6nbx.jpg

Decisions, decisions.... Hmmmm...

I like that metal one, but am worried about it being visible with the trunk closed. Last thing I'd want with a black car is a stripe of silver showing under the trunk.

Thanks GrySql :-)

Just an update, I double checked the placement of the metal protector that I put on and I did have it budded up against the trunk opening. So yea what you see in the closed trunk pics is how far it'll stick out. If you're handy you could probably cut the front edge of the protector some so it doesn't show with the trunk closed but then you'd have to ask yourself if it's worth paying that much for it to later trim it.

I have to also add that if you are looking to protect the bumper with the metal product and don't want it to stick out so far, be prepared to add some kind of protection... the clear or Ford sticker to the part of the bumper edge that's visible. The whole idea here is to help protect the bumper from scratches when moving things in/out of the trunk and the top edge of that bumper can easily catch a scratch. Just saying.

Clear Plastidip. I think I may order some and see how it works. If it doesnt look OK, I can always peel it off. It may even work on the back side of the grill cover as a cushion,

what you see in the closed trunk pics is how far it'll stick out.

Now that I know what to look for, I notice that several cars have a thin layer of their rear bumper protector sticking out when the trunk is closed. I've noticed it on Accords and Altimas during my commute.

I suppose that its a "feature" of plastic bumper protectors.