In an earlier post I referenced how the battery display on the dash isn't linear. Notice how in the pic below the useable SOC is 75%, but the battery icon is much more than 3/4 full. At some point I need to catalog with pictures difference intervals of SOC to compare to the battery icon to post.

33B5C988-8496-4A44-B392-97C34533509E_zps

I would expect the SG II SOC value to be a percent with 100 being HVB being fully charges. What I saw tonight when I programmed that number was -1900 while sitting in my driveway. The ignition was on and the battery graphic indicated about 50% charge. As I sat there the negative number slowly increased like -1902, -1903, -1905... I double checked my entering of the data for SOC in X gauges on the SG II. I am puzzled. Any thoughts? I have tried three more codes and they all work fine.

I would expect the SG II SOC value to be a percent with 100 being HVB being fully charges. What I saw tonight when I programmed that number was -1900 while sitting in my driveway. The ignition was on and the battery graphic indicated about 50% charge. As I sat there the negative number slowly increased like -1902, -1903, -1905... I double checked my entering of the data for SOC in X gauges on the SG II. I am puzzled. Any thoughts? I have tried three more codes and they all work fine.

See this post. The first two codes I list.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6503-scangauge-ii-x-gauge-codes/?p=71237

Also check out this post: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7492-understanding-the-ffh-better-with-a-scangauge/?p=69378

And this post: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7492-understanding-the-ffh-better-with-a-scangauge/?p=69450

Example of the non-linearity of the HVB gauge on the dash. SGII shows 75% SOC, battery appears more than 75% full

33B5C988-8496-4A44-B392-97C34533509E_zps

I also posted this in the winter driving thread, but since it's ScanGauge related I'm also posting it here so that I'll remember where to find it for reference.

When the HVB is extremely cold your EV power is limited. While the dealer fixed the trunk on our new white FFH today they gave me our old black FFH to drive. The HVB temp when I left the dealer was 4.5 F according to the ScanGauge. The HVB would not run the car in EV mode at all. Any touch of the gas pedal would make the ICE come on. I didn't think to get a pic showing the low threshold. Once the HVB warmed up above 15F I was able to get 1/2 bar of EV as shown in the pic below. Once the HVB hit 20F I was able to get 1 bar of EV. I did not get normal EV operation back until the HVB was warmer than 32F. The HVB fans came on right away and ran non-stop to funnel heated cabin air across the HVB.

BDD2FB03-5014-443E-8196-DA4861E7DDE7_zps

HVB's are like people. Little ones can't do much heavy work. Big ones are dangerous when they blow up. You have to feed them all the time. When they get old they lose strength and they don't like to do much when it's very hot or cold. We should name them.

I have a perfect name for them, but dont want to start a war! LOL

This reminds me of something I've been wondering - I've seen tips about turning the climate control off or setting the temperature low so the ICE warms up fast and doesn't stay on due to "heater setting". But if the HVB is too cold, then EV mode is either unavailable, or power is very limited.

So, is it better set the temp up and set the climate to Auto letting the ICE run and warm the cabin quickly, so that the cabin heat will help warm the battery?

It sounds like the worst case scenario would be to get in a below 0 F car and turn off the climate control, thinking you're going to get the ICE up to temp quicker. With the heat off, the HVB never warms up, so the car little to no EV power. All the while, both you and the car are freezing.

Disclaimer / confession - I haven't turned the heat off completely, but I usually set it to 72 F, floor only, with the fan at 1/3rd or so. The cabin heats up, but it does take a while. I do use the block heater to preheat the engine, and the seat warmers help me warm up, but do nothing for the HVB.

Most of us paid over 30K for these cars. We save about 1K a year on gas compared to our old cars. When it's hot, cold, wet, I punch Auto on the HVAC and drive. The car tries to get you comfortable as quick as it can. Enjoy the luxury every now and then.

Most of us paid over 30K for these cars. We save about 1K a year on gas compared to our old cars. When it's hot, cold, wet, I punch Auto on the HVAC and drive. The car tries to get you comfortable as quick as it can. Enjoy the luxury every now and then.

Can we have an Amen!

What happened to the old avg. MPG did you reset it? 21.9 that hurts.

I reset the MPG when leaving the dealer to see my MPG for the day. This trip ended up being close to 45 MPG even with not being able to use the HVB much!! This goes to show how much of an impact the "break-in" period has on these cars too.

I just turn mine on to auto and keep warm, even if I only get 26 MPG going 7 miles, and 34 on the return trip, in snow, driving under 40 to stay on the road with 5 people in the car. :) It has been too cold to be doing the hybrid games, I just want to stay warm!