I think LOD refers to the amount of power being produced and being sent to the drive train. You want to maximize the amount of load on the engine at the lowest RPM, so a higher load at lower RPM is better than lower load at higher RPM. It is more fuel efficient to have more load at lower RPM than at a higher RPM, as you are getting more bang for the buck at that point.

IGN is spark advance. If the ICE isnt spinning, no timing, and since its an Atkinson cycle, timing is important, and you will most likely see a negative number during spin up just before it fires off, and the advance will vary depending on what the LOD is being called for. For the most power it needs to fire sooner to produce more flame. Do you know if it stated BTDC or ATDC? 30* BTDC is when the plug fires as the piston comes up, which is needed more as the egine is under load and spinning faster, the lower number 5* BTDC is about normal for a lightly loaded ICE.

Not a clue on the HP readings.

I've believe load (lod) is resistance on the motor to turn.

Even running a motor in neutral will have some load.

I use it when going through the rolling hills of VT and ME.

When it gets to high. 85 - 90 + back off.

You are wasting fuel as you try to maintain speed uphill. Better to let off the gas. Lower the demand and increase fuel economy.

You will slow down though. Accessories, Lights, and A/C also affect load.

My SGII is still in my van. It needs the info more.

That's what I thought about LOD. I figured that a higher LOD is better because then you're getting into the most efficient range of the BSFC graph.

What are BTDC and ATDC? IGN is one of the base SGII gauges so I have no idea what the source of the data may be in the car. I've noticed lower numbers for IGN when the LOD is higher generally speaking.

Yep, nailed the BSFC part.

BTDC= Before Top Dead center

ATDC= After top Dead Center

BTDC is the spark firing as the piston approaches the top of the cylinder, at higher RPM and load the sooner if fires, the more complete the burn is, so every BTU is used to drive that piston down.

ATDC firing is not used very much as the force of the explosion is wasted since the piston is already on its way down, but given your reading of -10* leads me to think that the plug is firing on the down stroke to help spin up the ICE before it is placed under load, very little fuel is needed to do this, and takes some of the load off the MG.

I was told that Ford social site you can ask all these questions to their technical team.

oh by the way scangage e is pretty much useless. Don't bother buying it if you plan to read amps and hp. I'll be looking for scangage ii and super glueing the old one to my van.

Edited by majorleeslow

I recently bought and installed a ScanGauge II in our FFH.

hybridbear,

Before you get really into the mpg on SGII.

Do the speed calibration.

My van odometer was off, It skewed my speed and distance.

I prefer to use a GPS as a reference. But a measured mile will work too.

I dont have the SGII in the FFH.

But I've seen a 1 mph difference to my GPS @ 55mph.

Better than my van's accuracy, But still off.

hybridbear,

Before you get really into the mpg on SGII.

Do the speed calibration.

My van odometer was off, It skewed my speed and distance.

I prefer to use a GPS as a reference. But a measured mile will work too.

I dont have the SGII in the FFH.

But I've seen a 1 mph difference to my GPS @ 55mph.

Better than my van's accuracy, But still off.

I had to do the same when I used it in the other FFH. Makes a big difference when you start comparing dash vs SG vs actual. Once calibrated, the variance was well under 1%.

HB, just curious if you've eliminated all the other variables before going to SGII stuff.

Things I'd want to analyze first.

tire pressure (some times gages are off). I go exact to 1 digit past decimal on digital Gage.

LRR tires (I have Michelin energii)

Alignment

excessive hilly route.

note that climate control in the car is a horrible gas guzzler.

Short trips is another issue.

If you have leadfoot guzzlers behind you all the time.

All I'm saying is that every drivers conditions are different you may or may not have ideal to achieve the rated number.

This car can't be compared to Prius but more to a Camry or sonata hybrid. Priuses have tiny lawnmower engines.

However if you've done all of the homework and still have an issue then go for it.

That's fantastic, please keep on sharing the SGII info. I didn't catch that add the reason when you mentioned under performing mpg.

My long trips are the same it drops down to high 40's and shows like a sore thumb in the fuelly graph. Still scratching my head how Ford got away with the tripple combo 47. Makes no sense at all.

Since I don't have one I'm doing it trial and error. Looking forward to some good holiday sales to get one.

Edited by majorleeslow

Wow HB congrats on the 700 mi tank quite an achievement. I've yet to join the 700 mile club. I don't think it will be this tank due to some hot weather around here.

Edited by majorleeslow

Well 30 years ago I studied electronics to repair televisions. I dont remember anything other than the terminologies.

However, Based on my experience with Electric RC and Lip batteries, there are thresholds to keep. Never exceed a set voltage, High or low. If you go below a set low voltage, you basically destroy the battery. The Computers in Hybrids control these voltages so that they never exceed either threshold, and in fact do their best to cycle the packs to keep them in peak performance.

In the 10-12 FFH the computer does an occasional peaking cycle where it hard charges the packs and keeps them at top level for a set time. First time mine did it made me thing the car broke since there is no EV at all during that time and the engine does not shut down until the cycle is completed. Funny thing is I got my best MPG during these times.

I dont know if the new Fusion needs to do this at all since the battery levels are much higher and cycle more often due to the higher EV speeds. What would be curious is at what voltage does it kick out of EV and what the peak voltage is on the pack. Its a 300 volt pack. Is it lithium Ion, or lithium polymer? Whichever they are, they are of very high quality and very high C rating. C rating is how fast you can discharge and charge the cell.

NiMh batteries are charged as one, where Lithium are charged per cell, and use a balance system to prevent one cell from being over or undercharged. It basically shunts current from the higher charged cells to the lower ones, so they all balance out. Very important since overcharging a cell is a bad thing, which could cause the cell to overheat, burst or catch fire.

My theory based on what I see with my lipo packs and how they perform.

As far as current draw, the computer will keep the amps within set limits to prevent pulling too much out of the pack at one time, which is where it will fire the ICE. This also is calculated based on its SOC, which is computed based on voltage, and uses a table that has how much current can be drawn at any given voltage, along with how quickly the voltage drops at any given amp draw.

An example is when I fly a Power 25 equipped plane using a 3S 35C 3200 mah pack, If I go wide open throttle, the voltage drops quick, then stabilizes and continues to drop at a steady rate until the low voltage cutoff occurs. If I go half throttle slowly the voltage doesnt drop right away, but as the mah starts to deplete the voltage will slowly drop, even if I go to wide open. If I fly with WOT bursts it will deplete the pack much faster than if I slowly go to WOT, and it will also heat the pack up faster, which in turn will cause the volts to drop. A higher mah, higher C pack will supply more current for a longer time before the volts start to drop.

I have a volt alarm that measures each cell in flight, and will alarm when it reaches a set voltage, usually 3.4 V per cell. If I fly WOT it will drop to this setting really fast, but if I fly at half throttle I can fly much much longer, even if I do a WOT burst and trigger the alarm I find that reducing throttle to half I can fly for a few more minutes before the alarm will trigger hard and I need to land. So in a sense what I am doing with the throttle management to extend my flight time and not kill the pack with the alarm and stick, the hybrid computers are doing the same thing, but at a much higher scale and more precision.

When it comes to charging, you can put the current back in based on the MAh and C rating of the pack. There are 2 C ratings, the higher rating is for discharge, or a 3300 mah 35C pack can be discharged at 35 times 3300 or 117 Amps. The lower C rating is how much you can charge it at, mine is 5C, so 5 X 3300 mah or 16.5 amps.

So hopefully based on this you can get an idea of how the charge/discharge system on the Hybrid can function, just at a much higher rate. I believe the max charge rate is 30 amps. If that is true, based on 1C it would mean the pack is rated at 30,000 mah. At a 5C rating 6000 mah. You cant put it back in as fast as you can take it out, but the Hybrid system comes pretty close.