Sign in to follow this  
Aquineas

8000+ song iPod Classic; Sync is always "Indexing" or "building command list"

Do you plug in the iPod after you start the car? Try plugging it in before, so that it's not seen as a new device.

This^^ Whenever the device is disconnected, for whatever reason while the MFT is active, it will need to re-index. It could also be that it never finises the index with that many tracks, and has to restart every time.

Why would anybody need (or want) to have 8000 songs? I use an ipod Classic 80 GB with just under 2500, and that's 5x more than I will ever listen to. My Sync sometimes indexes, but it only takes 10 or 15 seconds. I agree with corncobs that you are probably exceeding the internal memory capacity. Try an ipod with less songs on it, or remove 75% from the one you are using and see if that improves the indexing issue. It's an easy trouble shoot since it is easy to put the songs back on the pod.

I am having this problem with mp3 files on a 64GB flash/usb drive. It WAS working, and now it shows the exact same messages.