Lee Ann Collum

2013 FusionHybrid only getting 32 mpg after recalibration

I had Program Number 13B07 hardware/software upgrade [RECALIBRATION] installed at the Sunset Ford Dealership, St. Louis on 29 August 2013.

I have been tracking my mileage at each fill-up (10 of them since my purchase in July). Prior to the hardware/software installation I was averaging 38.19 mpg. On the first fill-up after the installation (8 September) my calculation was 30.17 mpg, which is the lowest since purchasing my car.

I am disappointed, as I have not changed my driving habits nor the driving area. I did notice feedback that said to wait about 30 days for the "computer" to re-adjust. I will continue to monitor, and report back.

I picked up my new 2014 FFusion Hybrid 10 days ago.

I noticed that now my gas tank is below half (the tank was full) and I've driven only 180 miles. Given the tank capacity of 13.5 gallons, if we take the average would come to around 25 mpg. The average on the display reads around 34 mpg (80% of that miles are city driven) & all those miles were always below 40-50 miles/hr speed.

Isn't the Fusion hybrid suppose to stay in battery mode up till 62 mph (except for accelerating and inclines ) . I learnt that the re-calibration / PCM update allows the car to travel up to 85MPH in EV mode.

I realize it as well that it switches to EV mode once you take your foot off the accelerator.

Also learnt that few cars are performing below average & Ford recommends to make the dealership aware of this first before contacting them.

Any input would be helpful ...

Thanks

I picked up my new 2014 FFusion Hybrid 10 days ago.
I noticed that now my gas tank is below half (the tank was full) and I've driven only 180 miles. Given the tank capacity of 13.5 gallons, if we take the average would come to around 25 mpg. The average on the display reads around 34 mpg (80% of that miles are city driven) & all those miles were always below 40-50 miles/hr speed.
Isn't the Fusion hybrid suppose to stay in battery mode up till 62 mph (except for accelerating and inclines ) . I learnt that the re-calibration / PCM update allows the car to travel up to 85MPH in EV mode.
I realize it as well that it switches to EV mode once you take your foot off the accelerator.
Also learnt that few cars are performing below average & Ford recommends to make the dealership aware of this first before contacting them.
Any input would be helpful ...
Thanks

You will notice when it says your almost empty you only take around 12 gallons of gas. The gauge is a little off on that perspective.

Also the 85mph thing you will NEVER get on flat land. Only downhill will it kick down into EV. Air drag is too much for EV to handle unless you have a tail wind and a full SOC.

I had Program Number 13B07 hardware/software upgrade [RECALIBRATION] installed at the Sunset Ford Dealership, St. Louis on 29 August 2013.

I have been tracking my mileage at each fill-up (10 of them since my purchase in July). Prior to the hardware/software installation I was averaging 38.19 mpg. On the first fill-up after the installation (8 September) my calculation was 30.17 mpg, which is the lowest since purchasing my car.

I am disappointed, as I have not changed my driving habits nor the driving area. I did notice feedback that said to wait about 30 days for the "computer" to re-adjust. I will continue to monitor, and report back.

If done correctly there is no waiting period. I saw improvement from the moment I drove off my dealer's lot three weeks ago. My MPG has gone from 37 to over 44. You can try the hard reset or take it back to the dealer and have them do it over again.

My 2013, Nov 2012 production Fusion Hybrid has averaged about 43 MPG from the start. It seemed to improve, marginally, after about 5K but could be better technique. My wife, always a conservative driver, seems to do nearly as well as I do without really trying or knowing technical strategies. We were happy with the milage, part year in flat Florida and part in W. NC mountains.

Had the reprogram done in Winston Salem T Parkway Ford and the first 100 miles on the car, half highway and half mountain roads with both descents and climbs IS YIELDING OVER FIFTY MPG.

Admittedly, I was careful and worrying IF I should have left well enough alone, already feeling lucky with an early car (gingerale, LOL) that we bought on impulse because my wife loved the color and hated the Edge I had planned on.

I already loved this car and if this milage or even close to it holds up, I am a very satisfied owner. This replaced a 2010 Fusion SEL with a six that got 28 Mpg highway and just over 20 in town. THAT replaced V8 4 runner that got 15 mpg on premium.

Edited by Stepetroni

I was getting 40mpg before the update and now getting 49mpg so I am happy with it but wondering if anyone else noticed that the update made it virtually impossible to stay in EV mode when starting up from a stop on a residential street? On larger streets with stoplights and higher speed limits I always use the ICE to get to cruising speed but I used to be able to stay in EV mode on my residential street (if no one was behind me) by pressing ever so gently on the gas pedal and sloooowwwly getting up to 25mph. Now it is almost impossible to do that. Isn't there a way that Ford can adjust so that it doesn't kick into ICE mode so easily ?

I was getting 40mpg before the update and now getting 49mpg so I am happy with it but wondering if anyone else noticed that the update made it virtually impossible to stay in EV mode when starting up from a stop on a residential street? On larger streets with stoplights and higher speed limits I always use the ICE to get to cruising speed but I used to be able to stay in EV mode on my residential street (if no one was behind me) by pressing ever so gently on the gas pedal and sloooowwwly getting up to 25mph. Now it is almost impossible to do that. Isn't there a way that Ford can adjust so that it doesn't kick into ICE mode so easily ?

Its real easy for me to do this in back streets. Maybe your car just thinks you always want ICE power if you force ICE on before 10mph in normal driving. Mine usually hits 14-17mph before it kicks in if the SOC isnt very low.

It is a good thing for the ICE to come on when accelerating. When accelerating the power demand is high and that is where the ICE is most efficient. Take a look at this thread for more information.

It is a good thing for the ICE to come on when accelerating. When accelerating the power demand is high and that is where the ICE is most efficient. Take a look at this thread for more information.

hybridbear - I read the thread and that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for pointing this out to me - saved me a trip back to the dealership !

Isn't there a way that Ford can adjust so that it doesn't kick into ICE mode so easily ?

Since you have seen a 9 mpg increase with the update, I would think you wouldn't want Ford to change a thing with the software now. That's the way I feel. HB is right, using the ICE for acceleration ends up being more effecient in many circumstances. I have not, however, experienced the reluctance to go into EV that you mentioned unless the SOC is low or the engine is not warmed up yet.

Eddie and B25 - Thank you. I didn't think about that b4 but makes total sense now that if they adjusted the car to have it stay in EV under higher loads, it would drain the battery quicker and therefore be less efficient overall. I do think it is going into ICE mode at a lesser load now than b4 the update but maybe that is part of the software update to save SOC until it can be used in a more effcient manner when cruising ?

Correct, there putting us into a high load EV mode more often and than when the ICE has to charge its using up more than if it would have just stayed at a full SOC and kept the ICE running to main speed.

Makes me wonder if this motor and transmission combo could actually be put into a standard fusion and get a better highway MPG than the 1.6 ecoboost. Im sure cost is cheaper to make it than that engine.

Correct, there putting us into a high load EV mode more often and than when the ICE has to charge its using up more than if it would have just stayed at a full SOC and kept the ICE running to main speed.

This is opposite of what tends to work best for me - maybe it would be best to take similar route and conditions (like the daily grind) and try it using various methods and see what works best for you. That's what I did and found that going more on EV works better for me.

Jeff are you in the hills? If that's the case enough downhill charging will make ev mode a plus. For us flat land people it hurts because we don't get that coast charging.

Jeff are you in the hills? If that's the case enough downhill charging will make ev mode a plus. For us flat land people it hurts because we don't get that coast charging.

Rolling hills but some flat area too - I-95 in Northern VA and my beloved beltway that goes around DC.