Lee Ann Collum

2013 FusionHybrid only getting 32 mpg after recalibration

Even after the so called "re-calibration" My Fusion Hybrid is only getting 32 mpg.....NOT HAPPY!! I called Ford and they told me to give it 30 days after the re-calibration to see if it helps, if not I am to call them back!!

One strike towards the Ohio Lemon law down!!

The car has roughly 2200 miles on it...Prior to the software upgrade we were only getting 34...As for Life time....I will have to go digging into car info for that tomorrow. I did call Ford company.....They told me to give it 30 days from the re calibration to see if it improved. We consonantly have to take our foot off the accelerator for it to go into EV mode, but then the car slows way down.... Even cruising at 55 mph( on a straight flat road ) the car stays on gas power. I know that when accelerating and going up an incline the gas power needs to kick in. But when I have reached a max speed between 55-60 the car simply wont stay in EV mode :(

2 weeks since the software upgrade. Averaging about .2 mpg increase since upgrade.

Still around 37 mpg since the purchase.

BUT, Today I tried a different attack.

ECOcruise on!, all over town.

Drove normal speeds, But tapped the CruiseControl's "+" button anytime I got to driveable speed.

Basically used it as a gas pedal. ( +, -. hold it down everything) keeping with traffic.

Maxing the regen with every slowing or stopping as always.

Immediately the Battery was running @ 3/4 charge. Mileage was improving now.

I rarely get the battery past 1/2 full.

Rode the Nantucket Sleigh Ride (downhill gen button) down a good short steep hill also.

BAM! 100% battery.

Love the sound of the generator on the down hill.

For the day I averaged about 44.7 mpg over 85 miles.

Tomorrow, I have a 150 mile road trip. EcoCruise is planned again.

I still have much to learn of driving this car.

Thanks for the info Gry :) I will go do some reading,,,,,Our salesman told up that the car would stay in battery mode up till 62 mph ( except for accelerating and inclines of course ) So I hope you can understand our frustrations with this issue :shift: But the car did get worse with the upgrade :banghead:

We played around with the car....We turned on the Eco Cruise and took a little road trip.....We actually were getting 38-40 MPG

What's your tire pressure? I run my 2014 with 44 psi all-around and get 45 mpg. If you are at 36 psi your mileage could improve 2-3 mpg with an increase in pressure.

I ran 44 psi in my Honda Civic Hybrid for five years with no adverse effects on tires and with better mileage. I also run 44 psi on my Maxima and did on a Jeep Grand Cherokee also. Improved mpg for each.

I used to also run mine at 44PSI, until I picked up a nail. Now it's back down to 36 and the ride is MUCH smoother. My mileage doesn't seem to be affected.

I compromised and went with 40 PSI on my FFH, as I also did with the last one.

We played around with the car....We turned on the Eco Cruise and took a little road trip.....We actually were getting 38-40 MPG

:) Stay with EcoCruise and you will improve further.

I'm test driving with EcoCruise in charge all the time.

Almost driving exclusively with cruise control running the show.

All over town. Less gas pedal input the better.

My better half is less ambitious so far.

I noted earlier about my 150 trip on top of my local driving (265.7miles) of "Eco in charge" test.

Fuelly recorded my 5.44 gal refuel of Eco in charge cruising at 48.9 MPG. A personal best for that distance.

My trip MPG is running at 45.1 right now. {Reset at the software patch.) Up from 37.4 before.

I cannot say for sure that it's the software patch or the "Eco in charge" driving style.

But, my results are really improving fast. I believe it's the EcoCruise.

Time will tell.

Great Post GrySql!

Lee Ann, chances are if you are driving it like any non hybrid, the results you see are pretty much what you will get. I see a lot of Hybrid owners driving like a normal car, jack rabbit starts, short braking, tearing up the road at well over the speed limit. Chance are they are NOT getting anywhere near 40 MPG, and complaining about it.

Rule #1, relax, give yourself a few more minutes of time for driving, leave a little earlier. It doesn't pay to race to a red light.

A few tricks to try, move your seat back a bit, so your feet aren't too heavy on the pedals. The brake and accelerator are very sensitive, you would be amazed at how little pressure it takes to go from 34 MPG to 47 MPG. Use Empower screen, keep the white bar under or around the 2 KW mark, and watch how the blue box climbs, and when it is around 1 KW, ease off the pedal a little bit, and you will see the two bars start to merge, and eventually switch to full EV. Dont force it to use EV all the time, let the car decide when it needs to use ICE or EV. Best thing I found is let the battery get to about 75%, then switch to EV and when it runs down to about 30% it will switch to ICE, let it, unless you are going to be slowing down to a stop soon, let the ICE do its work to power and recharge.

Here is the Most important thing, and probably the HARDEST thing to learn to drive this car, braking! Smooth slow stops work best. The brake coach is there to help you, and 100% is the goal. This is where you convert all your momentum into free energy. Dont waste it with heat. You have to start braking long before you would normally brake, and you want to ease into the pedal, applying more pressure as you slow down, but not so much as to use the actual brakes. It is also one of the most difficult to explain as it is all in the feel of the pedal. the more you can get the brake score near 100% the better your MPG will be. A brake score of 99 or 100 can mean a difference of 3-5 MPG vs a brake score of 95%, it is that important.

I know it is frustrating being sold a bill of goods that cant deliver, however, thats what sale people do, a friend of mine calls it the Synthetic Smile. These cars can deliver, but it is not easy to do. There are a few Job1(first run) cars that are under achievers, something is wrong with them and I hope Ford steps up and finds out why, I had one, but given I had a 2010 at the same time that did 5-8 MPG better and was rated 8 MPG lower, Ford could not tell me the car was normal. I have since replaced it with a Job2, and it is performing very well, not exactly as advertised, but then I also dont have a daily drive under perfect conditions, few of us do, (HB, Maine, Jeff).

It take patience, practice, and more patience. Once you find the sweet spot and can hit it more, you will start seeing much better results.