Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

TSB 13-7-11 Battery Saver Message

Battery Battery Saver Car dead

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Don't know when yours was built, but there were a large batch of batteries that were built during 9/12 that were bad. I'm on my third 12v battery and have not had the message since the last battery and the update.....about 7 months now.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SE Fusion Hybrid Ruby Red 18" Tires

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Don't know when yours was built, but there were a large batch of batteries that were built during 9/12 that were bad. I'm on my third 12v battery and have not had the message since the last battery and the update.....about 7 months now.

My build was 12-17-12.   I took delivery on Mar. 2013.

#43 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 410 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Model T
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hi everyone,

This is Ashley, the new Ford Service rep on the forum. 

The first step to getting this concern resolved is going to be visiting your dealer, which it looks like most of you have already done. If you're still having trouble with battery warnings, drop me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll look into some options for you.

Ashley

• hybridbear and erichFla like this

#44 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts
  • Current Vehicle:13 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

Mine is at the dealer as we speak.  Was there a week over Thanksgiving with the Ford Field Service Engineer finding the problem.  Had car two days after the "fix" and same Battery Saver Message again.  He got the car again yesterday to try again.  The car is nice when it works!  Hope this is its last visit, I am a fixture at my Ford Dealership.  A year of headaches tomorrow the 18th.

#45 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Mine is at the dealer as we speak.  Was there a week over Thanksgiving with the Ford Field Service Engineer finding the problem.  Had car two days after the "fix" and same Battery Saver Message again.  He got the car again yesterday to try again.  The car is nice when it works!  Hope this is its last visit, I am a fixture at my Ford Dealership.  A year of headaches tomorrow the 18th.

I'd like to know How you get a Ford Service Engineer involved in Looking into these Many Different Problems.

#46 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hi everyone,

This is Ashley, the new Ford Service rep on the forum. 

The first step to getting this concern resolved is going to be visiting your dealer, which it looks like most of you have already done. If you're still having trouble with battery warnings, drop me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll look into some options for you.

Ashley

Ashley Good to see you. I think I have talk with you before through Facebook But take a Look at my Post # 40 in this thread.

Thanks

#47 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

The Ford Service Engineer got involved after calling Ford Customer Service and having them assign a case number to the problem.  One of the times the person was Ashley.  Same one as on this sight with a different hat?  The case was then assigned to a Regional Service Manager who worked with the dealer.  Finally, after almost a year the Engineer got involved.  Still getting the company line which is bull in my opinion, and the dealer Service Manager.  My dead batteries, per them, are due to my using one of the two usb ports the manufacturer installed in the car.  Was told this is causing a 50 vice 20 milliamp draw when car is asleep.  For months I have tried to tell them that this would be a car and not usb drive problem.  If you can not use then why have them, especially in a place where you can not easily remove?  Yesterday told the dealer to just give me car back.  He is going to try another battery since the ones the car come with are sooo underpowered.  I have also went a month with unplugging usb when car off and still got Battery Saver message.  Advice is complain, complain, document, complain. 

Edited by mrobinso8, 18 December 2013 - 09:02 AM.

• erichFla likes this

#48 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Just talked to Service Manager.  Now have an A10 module error code which can indicate wiring harness, the module itself, external memory, and other things I do not remember.  Retold that had issue when removing usb drive, have used several different drives with same problem.  They have removed usb and seeing if code reappears and the infotainment expert is coming tomorrow afternoon to check and possibly authorize replacing the module, which is what I think needs to be the next step.  Will pick up car tomorrow afternoon for Christmas trip and upon return hopefully they can replace the part or I will shop for another car unless they can give me hope.

#49 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Just talked to Service Manager.  Now have an A10 module error code which can indicate wiring harness, the module itself, external memory, and other things I do not remember.  Retold that had issue when removing usb drive, have used several different drives with same problem.  They have removed usb and seeing if code reappears and the infotainment expert is coming tomorrow afternoon to check and possibly authorize replacing the module, which is what I think needs to be the next step.  Will pick up car tomorrow afternoon for Christmas trip and upon return hopefully they can replace the part or I will shop for another car unless they can give me hope.

You are at the Same level of flustration I am with Ford. Toyota Sure Looks good to ME  right about now.

#50 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 410 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Ashley Good to see you. I think I have talk with you before through Facebook But take a Look at my Post # 40 in this thread.

Thanks

erichFla,

Hi! I haven't personally worked on Facebook, but two of my co-workers (Eric and Meagan) are there. If you've already spoken with them, it is easiest if you keep in touch with them. If not, feel free to send me the info I requested earlier, and I'll see how I can help.

The Ford Service Engineer got involved after calling Ford Customer Service and having them assign a case number to the problem.  One of the times the person was Ashley.  Same one as on this sight with a different hat?  The case was then assigned to a Regional Service Manager who worked with the dealer. ...

mrobinso8,

I'm strictly on social media, so you must have been chatting with another Ashley via the phone. Silly common name!  :gaah: LOL!

I'm happy to take a look at your case and have your CSM follow up with you, if you'd like. Just PM me your case number or VIN, and I'll take a peek.

Ashley

• erichFla likes this

#51 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

I got kind and returned the rental to the dealer and taking wife's car to Florida for Christmas.  No need wasting their money when I do not need it.  Want them to be positive my car is fixed without pressure on them to get to me and at this time do not trust my car for travel.  Talked to Service Manager and he left key in ignition for 1.5 hours and tech found 12 volt battery discharged greatly.  Tested battery and it tested bad and was replaced. Third 12 volt so far.   Still tech, not Service Manager, blaming thumb drive for car dying.  Again, why two ports if none can be used?  Will see what happens when we return.

#52 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,514 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

The power to the USB ports appears to shut down less than 1 minute after the car is turned off.  My thumb drive stops blinking.  I'll rig up a test jig tomorrow to verify that power is lost.  My thumb drive is in the USB port all of the time.  Also the A4 card is in my SD slot 100% of the time. 

IMHO they are grasping at straws because they will not admit that the 390 CCA 12 volt battery is TOO SMALL for the load that the car presents when it is turned off.  The alarm system is controlled by the computer and that has to run all of the time so the computer is running all of the time.

• B25Nut, hybridbear and erichFla like this

#53 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

erichFla,

Hi! I haven't personally worked on Facebook, but two of my co-workers (Eric and Meagan) are there. If you've already spoken with them, it is easiest if you keep in touch with them. If not, feel free to send me the info I requested earlier, and I'll see how I can help.

mrobinso8,

I'm strictly on social media, so you must have been chatting with another Ashley via the phone. Silly common name!  :gaah: LOL!

I'm happy to take a look at your case and have your CSM follow up with you, if you'd like. Just PM me your case number or VIN, and I'll take a peek.

Ashley

Ashley you were right, it was Meagan, we just looked at the Friends we have on facebook it was her.

#54 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

Murphy -  I have been fighting with the dealer, Ford District Rep, and the Field Service Engineer on the thumb drive issue.  Yesterday after asking why they put in ports that could not be used I was first told my thumb drive was defective.  Told been through this using several different and a month with no thumb drive.  Now the supper stupid part from the dealers "Hybrid Expert".  The light on the drive is draining the battery.  At least service manager thinks that is unreasonable.  I should do as you did as far as a bigger battery but think this should be fixed by Ford and not me since I think there is more than a small battery problem.  Previously I showed service manager the drive shutting down when the info system screen went to sleep.  Even had drive out where visible on a usb extension cable so tech could see without opening console!

• hybridbear likes this

#55 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

Murphy -  I have been fighting with the dealer, Ford District Rep, and the Field Service Engineer on the thumb drive issue.  Yesterday after asking why they put in ports that could not be used I was first told my thumb drive was defective.  Told been through this using several different and a month with no thumb drive.  Now the supper stupid part from the dealers "Hybrid Expert".  The light on the drive is draining the battery.  At least service manager thinks that is unreasonable.  I should do as you did as far as a bigger battery but think this should be fixed by Ford and not me since I think there is more than a small battery problem.  Previously I showed service manager the drive shutting down when the info system screen went to sleep.  Even had drive out where visible on a usb extension cable so tech could see without opening console!

I have verified that the USB ports lose power less than a minute after the car is shut off and locked.  If the battery is in good condition the three power ports turn off 70 minutes after the driver's door is opened.  If the battery is low the power ports turn off immediately when the driver's door is opened.

As far as an LED draining the battery goes, I have wireless smoke detectors on my alarm system.  They have an LED that blinks every 10 seconds.  They have a single CR123A lithium battery.  As of January 25, 2014 they will have been blinking for 6 years (18.9 million blinks) and have yet to report a low battery.  It is not possible for the LED in a thumb drive to drain the 12 volt battery.  That is pure nonsense in my opinion as a degreed electrical engineer.

Remote operation of the windows puts a huge load on the battery.  That's 5 motors (4 if no moon roof) running at the same time.  The car was supposedly designed to handle that load.

My big battery project will take another step today.  An Optima deep cycle battery will be delivered and installed into the car.  I want to compare the deep cycle battery to the large starter battery that is in the car now.

• hybridbear, GrySql and corncobs like this

#56 OFFLINE   mrobinso8

mrobinso8

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Murphy -  I eagerly await the report on your new and improved battery.  If this last fix does not work I will have to decide to keep car and give up on Ford or get another car.  Thanks.  I have a Master Degree in Computer Information Systems so fully understand your frustrations when Ford thinks it customers are uninformed ignorant consumers who will believe anything they are told, ignoring logic of course.  Will a deep cycle battery keep its voltage up above the point where the battery saver kicks in?  I though a deep cycle allowed the battery to discharge more without harm.  I obviously do not understand the different battery technologies for 12 volts for a car except that the installed one lacks reserve capacity.  If you have time could you explain so all us followers can understand that part.

Thanks

Edited by mrobinso8, 19 December 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Well, if your drive is draining the battery, then the USB module is bad as it ISN'T SHUTTING DOWN! Run that past the mopes working on your car and see what they say.  BTW, the moment the car door is opened, power is applied to the USB ports, so when they open the door and look, yeah, the light will be on.  I have had my iphone plugged in all day, and never had issues, I have even had my Ipad plugged in, which draws twice what the iphone does, and everytime I go and open the door I can hear them switch from battery to usb by making that goofy bleep sound which means the USB power came on. 

Sounds to me that your car has a faulty wiring somewhere sapping juice from the battery.  Any mechanic worth his title should be able to determine if there is abnormal battery drain when the car is fully turned off. All it takes is a bridge tap between the car ground and the battery negative and a good meter.  Compare the readings to a known good car that doesnt have BS issues.  

• corncobs likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#58 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

My big battery project will take another step today.  An Optima deep cycle battery will be delivered and installed into the car.  I want to compare the deep cycle battery to the large starter battery that is in the car now.

Murphy, as you are an Electrical Engineer I most likely am not telling you anything new with the following.

SLI (Starting, lights and ignition) batteries are meant for high load use like energizing a starter motor and supplying lots of power for a short period of time.  A SLI battery needs to be kept at a high voltage (11v +) or it will die if it is run flat too many times.

Deep cycle batteries do not usually put out as high a CCA output but they can sustain a voltage drain for a longer time and deeper into their voltage.  Repeated drain flat situations don't affect them as much and they can be recharged many times without losing a large percentage of their specific gravity when recharged - think golf cart, trolling motor, etc.

Because the FFH's LVB does not start the car it seems to me (not degreed at anything) that a deep cycle battery makes more sense because of what it actually does in the FFH.

With the ability to not lose much of its capacity if left in a voltage draining situation it can be brought back to life over and over.

Of course, if the FFH's charging system is running properly all this is moot, but in certain cars the charging system does not work correctly.

Having the Dealer recharge a dead SLI battery in a FFH only gives you back a battery that has less capacity that it did when new because every time it goes flat it loses it's overall capacity.

Anyway, that was the way I understood it when I maintained large fire service apparatus, each battery has it's place and function.

Is your new Optima battery a Gel type?

• acdii, B25Nut, hybridbear and 1 other like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#59 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Is your new Optima battery a Gel type?

No, it's an AGM battery.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• hybridbear likes this

#60 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

Well, good luck, I think you're on the right track and that is a powerful battery.

You're doing all of us a service with your hard work and experimenting, thanks. 

Gotta love Amazon too...

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery, Battery Saver, Car dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·