3COWBOYS3

trip summary &mpg? software update

Hello. I'm new to the forum. Browsed a little first. I just got my fusion hybrid se last thursday amd trying to figure out how everyone is getting there good mileage. On the big mpg while driving show about 40.5mpg or so and when I'm done the trip summary fluctuates between 39-41 mpg so far. Ive been doing good on driving but want to know how others are getting 47. Mine was supposed to have the software update and I got a copy of the invoice. Any help/tips? The car goes into EV above 62 mph but usually not for long. My speed 65-70mph Highway mostly. Do I need to reset the trip and mpg all the time. And the lifetime only shows 23mpg or so. Only has 400 or so miles on the car. Taking it back to the dealer for a bumper issue But want to see if its me or the car before I mention anything. I did sone research but stilll new.

PS...some people have the perfect route and driving skills to get the 47 mpg....

Bingo -

Route: Mine has many minor rolling hills, which I think actually help MPG as opposed to flat terrain... just my opinion.

Driving skills: If a person wants the best MPG then he/she needs to drive that way, which means (in my experience, anyway) smoothly and slow down... I got 52.4 MPG this morning on my normal commute of 59 miles, where cruise was applicable I set it on 64. Sure it can be set higher but IMHO the MPG will suffer more as you go higher.

Oh ok. Thanks. I will try those things out for a little and see what it brings. The slow down and acceleration I think I have down pretty good. Braking prob needs a little more. Averaging probably like 90% 100 here and there. And the ac I can probably do without. Not too hot here in california right now. And yes I wish I had more downhills :-(. But i will tweek my driving. Does resetting the mpg after each trip or filling the tank up make a difference at all?

Ok thanks. Just checking. Ya when I first left the dealer it was some low weired numbers then I reset the trips and mpg. But I didn't reset the lifetime. Ill do that today.

Just be aware that the dealers will do dumb things that ruin your reported fuel economy when the car is new. For instance, the dealership burned nearly a quarter tank of gas when they installed the PCM update. I know they had the AC blasting on MAX because I had it set at 74 when I dropped it off and picked it up with MAX AC. I just don't know how you burn that much freaking gas without adding a single mile to the odometer.

Oh ok. Thanks I will take a look at the link as well check to see if anything has change when I pick it up from the dealer. I tweeked my driving a little bit and was able to get 43 going to the dealership. But Wont get my car back until mid next week beacuse of my bumper being misaligned and a piece sticking out. So can't practice mydriving techniques. But I will read the threads.

Ok. Got my car back today from dealer bumper is good finally. I drived a little slower. Couldn't get up to 65 very much cuz traffic. About 30mph going. No ac because it wasnt that hot and just radio on. The big mpg on screen varied going up to 45mpg but when I got home end of trip summary read 47.3 while lifetime read 45 about. I reset everything when I got it back from the dealer. Did another drive to my girls house amd got about 45 again so I'm doing something right.lol

After the software updated on my fusion hybrid at my 10,000 mile service. The car drive about the same. I am however seeing around 2 mpg more per trip. In a recent trip about 8 miles very hilly suburban route, I got 60+ mpg at a average speed of 35 mph. That was a surprise as I expected way less because of hills.

Anyway, I do see better mileage above 65+ mph. I would gently accelerate (2 to 2.25 power bars) to 70+, coast to around 65 and repeat. This technique gets me about 47 mpg now. Previously above 65, it is hard to get near 47 mpg. More than 5-7 mph variance would net better fuel economy but would annoy other drivers (could also cause road rage) and keeps me entertained and alert. I found that I am getting better mileage than setting adaptive cruise at constant 67.5 mph. You can probably get more mileage if you use adaptive cruise to get to speed. Whenever I use adaptive cruise to get to speed, I would set about 5+ mph above my target speed and cancel when the desired speed is reached because the lack luster acceleration near its set speed.
I use adaptive cruise constantly on my daily commute in the Boston area (mixed suburban(10)/highway(12)/city(2) 24 miles with average speed of 30 mph) and am now getting around 50 mpg going to work (heavy traffic, slight downhill) and around 47 mpg going home in much heavier traffic. I normally would not use adaptive cruise above 65. Whenever I see that I am closing in slower traffic, I would use adaptive cruise to get as much re-gen as I can. By the way, prolong stop and go traffic will net you bad mileage for any type of cars. The penalty for hybrid is lot less (still getting above 30 mpg vs 15-20 for VW Passat I had before) and using AC or heat would bring it closer to a normal car.
Overall, I am happy with this upgrade. My overall mpg is now at 44 and climbing (11,200 miles since OCT 2012, 1100 miles on re-gen, 5500 mile on battery). From my experience, I loose about 3-4 mpg in the winter. I wish Ford installed an electric heater to augment the regular heat so the engine would not need to turn on that much more in the winter. Using AC cause me about 2 mpg. Maybe I'll get to 47 mpg in a year or two if winters are not too cool and summers are not too hot. Of course, your mileage will vary ;)
Edited by IceStorm

As soon as I can figure out how yo post pictures I will show mine. I've been keeping my ac at 71 about. I've been messing around with the eco cruise and switching it up with a light pedal at about 65 to keep the battery mostly used. Been reving it some times just because the ev kick in at a certain point and will shut off the engine when I'm at higher speeds. I got 51.5 yesterday and 47.1 today. Lifetime is about 44. Still learning so I can consistantly get that but its working prettu good. Car is already paying for itself.