But even than, when you first start the car it needs to warm up the o2 sensor, etc etc. Why doesnt it start the engine right away to begin doing that instead of making us drain the battery before the engine comes on. Than when it comes on it instantly needs to give full power because our battery is depleted.

The ICE actually runs more efficiently under full load than it does under partial load. Reason being you put that gas being burnt to work instead of just being wasted to idle the ICE. I have found that under load where the RPM is low, while propelling the car at a steady speed is when I get the best ICE FE. There are certain roads I take that get better MPG while using ICE than P&G.

The difference between the new FFH system and the others is that the drive train can do two things at once, where the others cant. The HSD can charge the HVB while under power, but no where near the rate at which the Ford system can. Ford can power the vehicle while giving a good amount of energy back into the HVB, where the first Gen and the HSD rely mostly on braking to recharge the HVB. This is what makes the Fusion more efficient than the others. When you consider the size and weight of the Fusion compared to the Prius, and getting at or near the same MPG, that says a lot about the new drivetrain.

The downside of it, you have to be very diligent in driving to get the max out of it, where the older generation Hybrids all you have to do is drive to get those numbers.

Something I haven't seen covered.. What is "full" warmup temp to the point where if needed the cooling fans will come on and thermostat opens?

Also has anybody seen if during cooler weather with the ac off if the car closes the grill unless its needed to cool the engine? I know ive heard of some 50's up north.

With the grill covers on I have seen it get above 200*, but during normal driving without them it hits 180* and never goes higher.

I used to do this, driving away from my driveway would deplete the pack in 5 seconds, and the car was sluggish since as pointed out, no torque being applied by the ICE. Now that I have been remote starting every morning, I no longer need to as the ICE is warmed up and the battery fully charged by the time I pull out of my drive.