Aquineas

A hypothesis: 75mph is the highway mpg sweet spot

On the interstate, if you're in moderate traffic, the vehicles create a tail wind which is worth 3 mpg per 10 mph tailwind. Drafting within 50 yds of a SUV is worth a couple of mpg.

I found that flatbed trailers with low loads or a tanker give really good results too. Much less buffeting and a smoother air flow at 1.75 second intervals. Get behind a box van and it knocks you around at that interval and you need to be closer to take advantage of it.

I wish! My commute is 75MPH most of the way, then drops to 60. Unfortunately, the designer of our highway thought it cute to make it go up, down, up, down, up... you get the idea. Not one single flat spot on I-44 that I travel on. Grrrr. I can keep it in EV for quite a while at 60, but EV only teases me at 75 because the the hills and dales. :)

The only time I methodically exceeded 65mph was on a long road trip to Kentucky from Maine. In KY where speed limits are 70mph, I set my cruise control to 70mph and I proceeded to lose at least 5mpg. When I returned to 65mph over the same stretches of road on subsequent days, my mpg returned to what it had been doing at the time (about 42mpg).

Even after the PCM update, I've observed that if I shift my top driving speed from 63mph to 65mph on my daily commute, I lose about 2mpg.

It must be remembered that as speed increases aerodynamic drag increases, thus it requires more energy to offset the increased drag. It should also be remembered that the FFH was optimized to do really well on the EPA fuel economy tests, this meant optimizing it for 62mph, which is one of the primary speeds the tests were conducted at.

Edited by MaineFusion