Da0ne

Driving VS Cruise Control

I use Eco Cruise only on the highway and only out of convenience. I know it accelerates much smoother than most cruise controls after you re-set it after braking, but in my opinion it's still too quick/fuel consuming and I believe I can do a "better" job getting up to speed with my foot, maybe I'm wrong as I'm certainly not getting anywhere near HB's mileage. I just always feel a slight acceleration jerk when ECC kicks back in that I can avoid when using my foot.

I use Eco Cruise only on the highway and only out of convenience. I know it accelerates much smoother than most cruise controls after you re-set it after braking, but in my opinion it's still too quick/fuel consuming and I believe I can do a "better" job getting up to speed with my foot, maybe I'm wrong as I'm certainly not getting anywhere near HB's mileage. I just always feel a slight acceleration jerk when ECC kicks back in that I can avoid when using my foot.

I also think that even the eco mode is a little fast when getting up to speed, I'd also like to see it be a little less aggressive with slowing down when cruise speed is reduced.

I almost always use adaptive cruise control in eco mode when on highways, it keeps me at a consistent driving speed and is one less thing to pay attention to. Recently I've started to suspend the cruise control when I want to either speed up or slow down so that I can feather the speed change better in hopes of squeezing out a slightly better fuel economy.

A perfectly attentive driver could probably get a slightly better fuel economy than the eco cruise can; however, I tend to think that the cruise control is probably the best way to consistently get the best fuel economy.

Only on the interstate, the rest of the time I can do much better without it since most of the roads I drive on are hilly.

If you can do so without Bubba climbing in your trunk , accelerate by using some EV to rollout, maybe partway across an intersection up to about 15 MPH, and let ICE kick in, then keep it on the Empower 2 KW bar until you reach your speed, and relax it so it goes into EV. This seems to work pretty good for me and gets me up to speed at a decent rate. If you go over, no biggy, just try not to go more than 1/4 way over the 2KW mark.

I was wondering how many of you drive the car or use ECC or ACC and what kind of mpg are you getting.

I drive mine, I only use ECC on long drives since traffic in new york city sucks.

my typical morning commute

20130809_053556.jpg

my evening commute more traffic

20130808_190238.jpg

and this is my lifetime so far (couple of days ago)

20130807_185737.jpg

What is the outside temperature? Down here in Houston with 98-100+ degree I only was able yo mustard 41mpg

I think the Fusion's ECC is top notch. The technology has come a long way. With my 2007 Camry hybrid, there was always a penalty when using the cruise control. I don't feel the same way about the Fusion.

I use the ACC quite often, and love it, but I find it overreacts on city roads at lower speeds, so I use it less under these circumstances. By overreacts I mean it will hit the breaks hard under circumstances that I normally would not.

Ya, I find ECC sometimes brakes hard when it shouldn't. I'd love for there to be an extra one or two following distance settings for the adaptive cruise control so that there would be enough distance between me and the vehicle in front of me for the ECC to brake more gradually. In general, the longest available following distance available via the adaptive cruise control is shorter than I'd normally follow another vehicle. A long time ago when driving tour buses I learned to give drivers lots of space to do stupid stuff without me having to brake hard.