hybridbear

After the PCM software update/recalibration - observations by Hybridbear

Ever watch Person of Interest?

They have their eyes one you!

Great show. With all the NSA stuff in the news lately the Person of Interest theme becomes more real.

I wonder where the show will go this season. So far it has been quite interesting. They almost completed the back story last season.

Not good since you have to then replace that energy you used, which comes from either braking or ICE. The EV assists as needed, when needed. The system is doing a pretty good job at it now after this last update.

It depends mostly on your driving, and the car isnt smart enough yet to know when you will be stopping long enough to recharge. It would be wasteful during my trips since I usually drive 55, uphill, a lot.

Set at anything auto of otherwise, if its 55* out and it is set at 70* then it will run the ICE to provide heat.

Thanks everyone for all the posts. I am a brand new FFhybrid owner. I have had my car just over one month. I received a letter from Ford on the update and I have an appointment for my car this Wednesday. So far, I have been doing ok with mpg. The car has about 1k miles on it. At most I got it to 43.5 mpg. But living in Southern California I am having a hard time keeping it at 62 mph on the freeway. It's almost killing me. I really have to dig deep and find my inner Buddha.

This morning on the way to work I drove like 75 mph and then slow on the way home. Total average was 41 mpg.

My commute to work is mostly freeway.

So I think I will wait on the update and see how it pans out in the long run. Plus want to see how HybridBear's long distance trip goes

Don't worry about keeping it below 62 mph. It's not advantageous to use EV at highway speeds.

Interesting observation about this topic on the last trip. The few times a looked at climate consumption it was always sitting at .5 kW. This morning it was obviously already hot and humid we drove about 2.5 miles looking for a diner and it returned 45 MPG. That was on 35 MPH streets very slow and a lot of it in EV.

Now driving back to the hotel 1.7 miles I only saw 35 MPG so I think short trip MPGs have improved but there is still a cut off between good and bad result at around past 2 maybe 3 miles.

When on the hwy if the compressor turns all the way down and the engine fan turns off under the hood it uses around 0.5kW. It will still ramp up to 5kW if it needs it. Hwy stays alot lower tho.

Set at anything auto of otherwise, if its 55* out and it is set at 70* then it will run the ICE to provide heat.

I havent had the car in the cold but your saying under 55* it will leave the ICE on even if i turn it to "low" on the temp and just run it as bringing in outside air?

Another note on this topic is the change to the Climate control.

For one - I have noticed the fact that the fan actually turns completely OFF at speed and allows the outside airflow to act as the fan. The cabin is actually significantly colder when set at the same value as before the update when at speed.

However, and these drive me crazy and were NOT changed:

- If you have the car set to AUTO and turn the A/C button OFF, I want the car to use outside aid/heat to maintain temperature. In the morning, when it is 55-60 degrees out, I do not need air conditioning, thank you. I don't understand why they insist on using the air conditioning compressor so much to adjust humidity.

- Tied to that - OK, so if you are on AUTO, the A/C will run when IT wants too. Fine. I will do it manually. OH YEAH? Not so much - My windows are fogging ever so slightly so I want the outside air to gently circulate through the defrost ducts without and air conditioning. You know, like I have been able to do in every car I have every owned? Nope. Put the defrost as a selection, even when mixed with the panel or floor, and the air conditioning compressor instantly turns on.

Now - If the system is smart enough with the new efficiency to actually let me leave it on AUTO, never touch it, and not impact my fuel mileage, fine. However, I don't think so, since I DO NOT NEED AIR CONDITIONING when it is 55 degrees outside!!

Maybe I am too old school on this one and should just leave it on Auto, but... apparently I am not! :)

Im young and want the old school button to turn off the compressor and give me outside cooled air. I believe this issue is more of a bug as turning off the ac button (unless in defrost mode) should kill the compressor no matter what temp, humidity, etc.

Don't worry about keeping it below 62 mph. It's not advantageous to use EV at highway speeds.

Not a benefit to use full EV at highway speeds. I can say doing 70mph if you come up on a bridge or a hill even just giving a 20% boost from the elec motor helps you up the hill and uses alot less power. Than the downhill ride it should get alot of charge back.

Just purchased a 2013 FFH Ti two days ago. Discovered today that it came with the updated PCM software as baseline. Transitioned to EV mode at 70mph! Less than 400 miles on the odometer so far, but computer showing average mpg 43.8 for 280 miles since last fill-up. Expect that number to be higher than computed at next fill-up (our C-Max is always about 5% on the optimistic side), but is on a par with C-Max at that low odometer reading. Now, at 4000 miles, C-Max getting 45 mpg (computed, not computer, with the old software!) Very encouraging.