hybridbear

After the PCM software update/recalibration - observations by Hybridbear

It is to soon for me to say much about the update. This mornings commute was not typical because it was a hard down pour, windy, and stop & go traffic when I got off the highway. Roads were flooded all around Newark so it was not a fun drive. I ended up with 45.4 mpg which was about 1.5 less then my normal numbers. I think this was all road conditions. I am worried about the constant cycling between the EV and ICE at higher speeds. I hope the rain is gone for my ride home so I can get a better idea of how this update effects my cars performance.

Ok I had the update done and did a 861 mile vacation over the weekend. Results 35.4 MPG. :cry: Very disappointed to say the least.

Was your vacation in the hills or mountains?

has anyone noticed it being harder to get a good brake score with the new update? Seems harder for me.....But....I did get my best MPG on morning commute today.....43 vs 39 before....could of just been state of battery...but anyways...it happened! :)

Yep, I noticed that too. Still doing good, but there were times where it felt like it was 100%, but came up as 98 or 99 instead. OTOH I noticed it is easier to accelerate, and switch to EV now.

Hybridbear, As for the AC power consumption that is more related to highway. I noticed once I hit 50mph today after the update the ac power usage dropped to half. The tech at the dealership mentioned that the fans will turn down and than turn off if there is no need for them (at 50mph there is enough air force to cool the ac on lower settings and the ICE i guess)

Would make sense tho for sure.

Red light cameras were declared unconstitutional by the Minnesota Supreme Court a few years ago so we don't have to worry about them. Our lights are also generally pretty well timed to move traffic and limit how often cars have to stop. There are some stretches where I can drive for 3 or 4 miles without stopping at a single red light because they're timed to all be green. That's often 10+ traffic lights in a row all green, sometimes I've gone through as many as 20 without a single one being red.

AND then there are some that are RED just as the one you are at turns green, the next one turns red, and so on , and so on ,and so on. What PITA that was!

I am still trying to get used to how the car responds since the update. I almost think driving a little faster on the highway will yield better results. Today's commute was about normal overall and I think for me the update will not be much improvement, but I was getting very good milage anyway.

From the drive in to work:

IMG_0021.jpg

From the drive home:

IMG_0022.jpg

Combined avg:

IMG_0024.jpg

I had mine done this morning and had a 180 mile work trip to take for the day. It was windy and it is nearly all highway. I got 43.1 for the trip. I expected worse due to the wind.

I was also in the middle of a 87 octane vs. 91 octane commute study. I was just about 3/4 through what I planned. I need gas in the morning, so I guess I'll start over.

By the way, in my non-scientific study, 91 was looking like it was going to beat 87 by about 2.5 mph. When I complete it, I'll post the results here and the base blueovalforum.

In the Hybrid, that 2.5 MPG difference wont pay off the difference in cost. But in a car getting 18 MPG, the 2.5 is HUGE.

Red light cameras were declared unconstitutional by the Minnesota Supreme Court a few years ago so we don't have to worry about them. Our lights are also generally pretty well timed to move traffic and limit how often cars have to stop. There are some stretches where I can drive for 3 or 4 miles without stopping at a single red light because they're timed to all be green. That's often 10+ traffic lights in a row all green, sometimes I've gone through as many as 20 without a single one being red.

Little off topic, did they physically remove the camera, or it still mount on the light and not monitor it.?

Hybridbear, As for the AC power consumption that is more related to highway. I noticed once I hit 50mph today after the update the ac power usage dropped to half. The tech at the dealership mentioned that the fans will turn down and than turn off if there is no need for them (at 50mph there is enough air force to cool the ac on lower settings and the ICE i guess)

Would make sense tho for sure.

Maybe this why I get better mileage on the interstate than city driving with 98-100+degree