hybridbear

After the PCM software update/recalibration - observations by Hybridbear

Hybridbear - I wonder if you will think differently about the PCM update when it gets cold again? With the warmer weather you are seeing really good MPG, but last winter it was far lower for you - I think you have some results from last winter (based on past posts) so should be able to have a good comparison.

I agree with CC on this one. If you are already exceeding EPA like HB and a few others do, the update wont have much impact for them, but for those of us whose trips are of the kind that are difficult to achieve stellar performance, it will help. This is what I am seeing in mine from the update. I really dont think it will improve anything when the engine is stone cold, but I have noticed that it doesnt kick on right away like it used to. I can now actually deplete my battery when I leave in the morning, which gets me about a 1/2 mile from the house before ICE kicks on, and it will shut down at the first stop sign, where it usually ran when I got there, even when it was warm out. So far I have noticed a huge difference on the Interstate from before. I also am finding it easier to drive now.

With the grill cover on this winter, I am hoping the warmer running ICE will help get much better MPG than that other car did with them.

Great Post dalesky! Great summary of Hybrid driving too. You can't learn to drive one of these overnight and expect 47 out of the box, you have to work at it and learn the intricacies of how it works. Once you understand that, then the rest falls into place.

I have found that you do have to accelerate at a certain rate for it to do well. Too slow or too fast and it bombs, and braking on THIS hybrid is the KEY to great MPG. Unlike all the other Hybrids, this one needs its braking to be just right or MPG will suffer. The lower your brake score, the lower your FE, its as simple as that. I find that if I accelerate at or around 2 KW whether its a little above or a little below, I am staying at EPA on my daily drives now. I also found using ICE for accelerating instead of EV, except for the first few feet of rollout from a stop I am doing better too. Get up to speed at a reasonable pace and switch to EV.

I have driven Hybrids since 2007, and always did good in them, considering my daily drive for the past 12 years has been over roads that are not good for MPG, as there are a lot of hills and stops and mostly on 55 MPH roads. In the new FFH I had to relearn some techniques because of the way it uses EV, where in the other cars, at 55 MPH I could feather the throttle and get it in the 40's all the time, I had to change the way I drove. It didn't take very long, maybe a week to understand the differences, but it made a big difference. One other side effect, my driving in other cars shows me getting above average MPG. 21 MPG in a 365HP AWD box, is not bad at all, considering the first one I had I only got 18 in.

I also notice that I pay more attention to what others are doing and think, man what a bunch of Walters! Racing to a red light gets you no where quicker, it just wastes gas. Drive Smarter, Not Faster!

Even though I had problems with the first one I got and took a loss on it, I still felt that Ford made an exceptional car, and I gave it a second chance, and so glad I did, because it does live up to the claims.

I think dalesky and acdii have really hit the nail on the head when it comes to the driving the FFH or any other hybrid for that matter. In order to maximize the mpg's you really do have to take the time to learn the correct driving techniques. Not everyone wants to drive the speed limit or learn the little tips and tricks to get the car to respond, but as long as they are ok with getting decent, not always awesome mpg's, they should still be happy. I don't have the best commute for a hybrid car being mostly highway driving, but as long as I stick to speeds between 65-70 I can get 47 mpg. I enjoy seeing how my driving effects my cars performance, and this car is awesome as far as improving my comfort for the usually boring 500 mile commute every week.

For my next 1000 miles I am going to increase my cruising speed to 70 and see where my avg falls. I am getting the PCM update this afternoon so this should be a good test to see if it helps me at all with highway mpg.

I am excited and nervous to get my update applied on Wednesday morning. I have my fingers crossed.

I fully expected to be able to exceed the EPA with this car in the summer nearly every day. This was due to my experience with my 2011 FFH, where I did that during warm weather by 1 or 2 MPG every tank. I can't do that now. My tanks are usually 3 MPG lower than EPA. My commute is almost always 45.5 (both ways combined) The only thing that changes it is really warm weather, strong headwind, or heavy rain.

If the update does ONE thing, I will be happy, and my mileage will improve. The biggest complaint I have had is that the ICE charges the battery WAY too fast. On fairly level roads with 55 MPH speed limit, a down hill section will kick it into electric. It will stay on electric on the uphill side until the battery is depleted, then it will get 20 MPH while the ICE works its a** off to recharge. I believe it would be WAY more efficient to charge very slowly with the ICE, say always keeping the MPG around 40 or higher, and wait for regenerative braking to do the rest.

Who knows. I am not an engineer, so we wait and see.

I have noticed on mine after the update that the battery level doesnt go all the way down to under 1/4 like it did before. Who know, maybe this is due to the update, or just coincidence.

"Going in, I did not expect to get 47/47 all day any day. With a couple of months on the car, NO problems or complaints, no defects, mileage lifetime just under 40 for mostly city driving, AND great AC here in the very humid south, I am extremely happy.

Some days I get well over 40 MPG, some just under 40. Once in a while closer to 50 . . . I am seeing what I expected, usually more, driving a car that exceeds my expectations in almost every area, and think it is the best looking family sedan available.

Keeping that in mind, to reiterate, I am not feeling let down by the mileage. I like the challenge of driving smarter not harder, and the anticipation of turning off the car and seeing what my trip mileage was. This forum has some great members, great advice, passionate postings and true love for members cars. Is there more you can ask for? Post-update, I will track mileage and report, as many others have. I don't expect much, so I probably won't be disappointed."

Wow this is a PERFECT summary about my feelings as well, and the mileage numbers are the same I'm seeing. I went from a 2006 Five Hundred that got about 19 MPG (LOL, and that was the "hybrid" in the house because my wife drives a Tahoe), so getting 40 MPG is simply awesome to me. I have a spreadsheet set up to help me track the gas savings I'm getting vs. driving the Five Hundred the same distance, and it's already up to $135 on just the 3 fill-ups I've had to date. It's early so far, but I'm on pace to average $170 per month in savings vs. the Five Hundred, which is almost 30% of my payment!! I am keeping track of what the savings would be if I was getting 47 MPG, and it's about $15 over three tanks, so that will add up over time, but a some point I gotta just be thrilled with where I am.