Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

TSB 13-5-24 TING/POP/CLICK-TYPE NOISE - FRONT HALFSHAFT

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

Stopped in at Ford dealership in Roseburg, OR and they diagnosed the same (TSB 13-5-24). No parts but told ok to drive. Called Tony, my service rep at Raceway Ford in Riverside, CA and asked him to get parts ordered. We'll be back from vacation early next week. Hoping this doesn't cost a ton.

I would find out how much it costs before you take the car in for the work to be done. If it's too expensive you could decide to just live with the noise. There is no drivability concern from this that anyone is aware of.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

Nearing 30,000 km and this might be happening to me. I can't reproduce it 100% of the time, but when braking gently from speeds of at least 50 km/h, I can hear a strange click half the time. It's not "ting, pop, click", but it's a click that I'm sure didn't happen before. It can also be heard when accelerating gradually from a stop.

Well, I have an ESP that lasts till 2019 or 100,000 km - time to visit the dealer and see if I need this TSB fix!

Edited by machoman1337, 04 May 2016 - 06:01 PM.

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#23 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,773 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

Nearing 30,000 km and this might be happening to me. I can't reproduce it 100% of the time, but when braking gently from speeds of at least 50 km/h, I can hear a strange click half the time. It's not "ting, pop, click", but it's a click that I'm sure didn't happen before. It can also be heard when accelerating gradually from a stop.

Well, I have an ESP that lasts till 2019 or 100,00 km - time to visit the dealer and see if I need this TSB fix!

My FFH got the TSB done in 2013, probably a ways back in this thread... the sound would occur from a stop of when going slow and quiet and getting back on the gas it would make this ping-pong sound, but would not happen when applying the brake -- only when getting back on the gas after stopping or after being on the brake to slow up.

Then last year it started doing it on the Energi (had 64k miles at the time), and the sound was so similar to what the hybrid did, but then the dealer checked it and found the cause to be some support bracket insulator had worn (very surprising since I drive smoothly and rarely ever would slam on the gas) -- below was the repair order.  So who knows, if you are getting that type of sound it could be the thrust washer thing that was the cause of the TSB, could be the insulator thing as shown below, or could be something else.... let us all know!

Energi_Service_20151005_zps22ipus3z.jpg

Edited by jeff_h, 04 May 2016 - 04:26 PM.

• machoman1337 likes this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#24 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Thanks jeff! I'll print your screenshot when I go to the dealer next Monday and suggest that they consider that as a possible cause in addition to this TSB.

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#25 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

Just got the TSB done - the dealer verified that the click (which as of yesterday, worsened to a "clank") was indeed caused by TSB 13-5-24. After the parts were installed, my car is silent when braking again :)

And on top of that, I got a pretty nice Explorer XLT loaner, which I almost didn't want to give back!

• jeff_h likes this

#26 OFFLINE   Robert Ferraro

Robert Ferraro

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

My 2013 started doing this about 5 months ago.  Was thinking it was the brakes.  I'm out of warranty now (78K miles).  Think Ford will charge me for this repair?

#27 OFFLINE   NotLowEnough

NotLowEnough

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

My 2013 started doing this about 5 months ago.  Was thinking it was the brakes.  I'm out of warranty now (78K miles).  Think Ford will charge me for this repair?

I am currently getting the runaround from Ford and my dealer regarding this.  My 2013 FFH has done this since the day I drove it off the lot new.  I took it to three separate dealers while still under the 3/36k warranty before knowing about the TSB to have it diagnosed and repaired, but all three dealers said they could not determine the cause of the noise.  Now that I am out of the 3/36k warranty, suddenly the dealer knows about the TSB and says I have to pay for it.  I've made a case with Ford Customer Care and they keep telling me that I have to go through the dealer since the dealer diagnosed it as needing the TSB fix; the service manager keeps saying I have to go through Ford.

So to answer your question, no they probably will not cover it.  I'm about to just give up and buy the parts to do the work myself.  This whole situation is absolutely unacceptable in my mind.

#28 OFFLINE   mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

I am currently getting the runaround from Ford and my dealer regarding this.  My 2013 FFH has done this since the day I drove it off the lot new.  I took it to three separate dealers while still under the 3/36k warranty before knowing about the TSB to have it diagnosed and repaired, but all three dealers said they could not determine the cause of the noise.  Now that I am out of the 3/36k warranty, suddenly the dealer knows about the TSB and says I have to pay for it.  I've made a case with Ford Customer Care and they keep telling me that I have to go through the dealer since the dealer diagnosed it as needing the TSB fix; the service manager keeps saying I have to go through Ford.

So to answer your question, no they probably will not cover it.  I'm about to just give up and buy the parts to do the work myself.  This whole situation is absolutely unacceptable in my mind.

My car is out of the "3 year/60000km" warranty as well but I went to the dealer and told them about this TSB and then got a bit of push back since the car is out of comprehensive warranty. I told the service advisor that axle shafts are the first thing listed for FWD cars under the powertrain warranty and he started singing a different tune.

I just had the TSB completed and they put those trust washers and etc in. My work order just looks like the other user who posted his.

Anyways, last night I pulled the car out of the garage and guess what I hear... "Click". Put it in drive and move it forward a bit and "click". Back in reverse and "click", Only when I press the brakes and only ONCE while the car is in the same gear. You have to shuffle back and forth between drive and reverse to get it to click again. The sound has changed too since before the TSB. It was more of a sharp click sound and now its more like a "crack" noise.

Car goes back on Tuesday. Could it be that the tech installed the washers wrong or something? When they do this are they supposed take out the existing pieces and then add the new parts or leave the existing pieces and add the new parts so there's no space for that "click" to be made?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·