acdii

TSB 13-5-24 TING/POP/CLICK-TYPE NOISE - FRONT HALFSHAFT

Washer kits are on order for both sides, hope they arrive soon as the left side seems to be getting a bit more prominent.

This isn't what I hear sometimes when I am driving with my windows open and can hear it echoing off the curb or car next to me is it? Sometimes I hear what sounds like a rock in my tire.. Tick-tick-tick-tick.. In very fast succession. Maybe it is just a rock in my tire tread.

Actually I think that's probably a rock making the sound, I've notice that these tires tend to hold onto rocks and have gotten the tick-tick-tick-tick many times. When I pulled off the back wheel to test the spare wheel/tire that I'd bought from tirerack, I took a blunt screwdriver and pried out the rocks, there sure were a lot of them.

Updated - Got the TSB fix today, no more clicking!

Edited by jeff_h

I too thought it was a rock, I examinedthe tire closely and found a few small rocks, removed them and no difference.

My sound is mild but still there as always, hasn't changed much.

I am going on 2 months now waiting for the parts, but I went on Twitter and pinged @FordService to get it escalated

to a regional customer service manager (where the heck are my thrust washers!) - my dealer says he is waiting on at least

8 sets. So the CSM is investigating with the dealer and says she will try and get a clear answer and speed things up.

I made it clear to her that lots of people on these forums are still waiting on these parts, what's the deal? So that

was a welcome phone call from Ford at least. My dealer told me that there are only 100 of these in the US, which

I find hard to believe. I think the number is more like 3 or 4 of them....

It may be (she tells me) that the dealership did not source the parts right. How that's possible, I don't know but they

are only waiting on the washers at this point.

Thanks acdii, I have been wondering if that popping was "normal". I am heading back to the shop for the fuel system recall, and the hybrid module recalibration on Friday (too bad I was in two weeks ago for regular service). I will see if they can slip this in as well...

Well, apparently dealers don't stock the parts for this. Too bad... means a third trip to the dealer in a month. Looking forward to the sweet sound of silence!

Dealer claims parts on backorder, won't be delivered until December... Now that is what I call customer service! NOT!!!

Hi,

It's been awhile. I am trying to get my dealer to do this tsb, had it in last fall and now today. The noise is intermittent and so my service advisor claims if they (the service advisor or mechanic) cannot verify hearing the noise, they will not do the work as ford won't reimburse them without verification. Is this for real, or is my service guy giving me the run around?

Ken

Ken,

Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look for you.

Ashley

Is this a trsnsmission issue? I have a job 1 2013 FFH which got a new transmission at 49K miles. Just passed 60K miles today. On a roadtrip and noticed a clicking sound when accelerating after stopping for a fill-up...

It sounds like it's time to make an appointment at your dealership, GrayStrider. Once they've had the chance to look things over, I'll be able to investigate some options to assist. Keep me in the loop.

Crystal

Edited by FordService

Nearing 30,000 km and this might be happening to me. I can't reproduce it 100% of the time, but when braking gently from speeds of at least 50 km/h, I can hear a strange click half the time. It's not "ting, pop, click", but it's a click that I'm sure didn't happen before. It can also be heard when accelerating gradually from a stop.

Well, I have an ESP that lasts till 2019 or 100,00 km - time to visit the dealer and see if I need this TSB fix!

My FFH got the TSB done in 2013, probably a ways back in this thread... the sound would occur from a stop of when going slow and quiet and getting back on the gas it would make this ping-pong sound, but would not happen when applying the brake -- only when getting back on the gas after stopping or after being on the brake to slow up.

Then last year it started doing it on the Energi (had 64k miles at the time), and the sound was so similar to what the hybrid did, but then the dealer checked it and found the cause to be some support bracket insulator had worn (very surprising since I drive smoothly and rarely ever would slam on the gas) -- below was the repair order. So who knows, if you are getting that type of sound it could be the thrust washer thing that was the cause of the TSB, could be the insulator thing as shown below, or could be something else.... let us all know!

Energi_Service_20151005_zps22ipus3z.jpg

Edited by jeff_h