LEM

My car got locked with the key inside...

I was planning to clean a little bit my car before leaving to work and this is what I happened:

1. I opened the trunk to get the cleaner. I left my wallet, my phone and my keys inside.

2. I closed the trunk.

Now the car was completely locked. I couldn't open the trunk anymore. It's all my fault because I didn't even know the code to open the door from the keypad.

I really thought the car would not be locked with the key inside, but maybe it's a different story if you leave them in the trunk.

I had to ask a neighbor to borrow her phone and call my wife to pick me up...

I assume this is how is supposed to work, right?

Thanks!

You can turn off the auto-locking feature through the dash menus, if that's what happened to you. I did that immediately after getting the car because I knew I'd screw up at some point.

The car is not supposed to lock with your key in the trunk (assuming you have the keyless push-button start system). The only way it would is if it somehow did not recognize the key in the trunk, which is possible if somehow your cell phone was causing some electrical interference. But there is an antenna in the trunk that is supposed to recognize when you leave the key in the trunk and honk the horn and unlock the doors when you close the trunk. Leave your windows open and try it again to see if it works.

You could have called Ford to get the keypad code. My dealer advised me that I can change the code to something I will remember, but the original code is still active. In other words, you can use either keypad code.

You could have called Ford to get the keypad code.

I hope not. Get the VIN from the front window. Get the dealer from the advertising on the back. Call and get the keypad code. The thief is in the car without having to break a window.

Thanks for your help, guys. I will do some extra testing when I get home. I'm afraid to have it locked again while I'm at work. :)

You can go into the MFT menu and set up a personalized 5-digit access code, something very easy for you to remember, so you're covered even if this happens again.

You can go into the MFT menu and set up a personalized 5-digit access code, something very easy for you to remember, so you're covered even if this happens again.

As long you know the factory keypad code or the 5 digit code for a replacement key (in reverse order) you should be good to go.

Having a 1.5 year old look himself inside the car was a lesson scary enough!

Good point about the advertising of the dealership on the back of the vehicle - another reason for not having this on the back of the car!

But my service tech did tell me to keep the card that came with the car with a 4 or 5-digit code in a safe place - this code will always work, even if you change it to something that you would better remember.

The car is not supposed to lock with your key in the trunk (assuming you have the keyless push-button start system). The only way it would is if it somehow did not recognize the key in the trunk, which is possible if somehow your cell phone was causing some electrical interference. But there is an antenna in the trunk that is supposed to recognize when you leave the key in the trunk and honk the horn and unlock the doors when you close the trunk. Leave your windows open and try it again to see if it works.

I'll try this tonight. Thanks.

ok, I tried it during the weekend and had the same problem.

However, if my car is unlocked and I leave the keys in the trunk. I cannot lock it. That means the sensor in the trunk seems to be ok.

Could anybody try the following? (have the door code with you or leave a window open first)

1. Lock the car

2. Open the trunk with your hands without using the remote.

3. Place your keys inside.

4. Close the trunk.

Now try to open the trunk or any other doors. The car is completely locked.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I have the push start button.

Edited by LEM

You can very definitely lock the car with the key in the trunk. I've tried this intentionally as I wanted to see if I could

leave a spare 3rd key hidden in the back somewhere in case I lost my regular key. I was playing with this

and had no issue. I did not have this 3rd key in a metal box or static free bag, but planned to do that as well.

I did notice that with the key in the trunk wheel well and my main key outside in my pocket, I was not able to close the

trunk. It beeps at me several times and then it pops back open. Sometimes it does this - not sure why - but if I then

unlock/lock with the remote button I have in my pocket, it locks fine.

I thought, from the manual, it may say that if the key is "in the cabin area" it won't lock. Doesn't mention the

trunk specifically. Probably has to be fairly near the sensor inside.

We tried at the dealership leaving my 2nd key in the trunk and it locked. Figured it couldnt pick it up.

As far as the autolock comments. I cant get my bastard car to lock on its own for nothing. Key inside, outside, in another state. I have it turned on and from what ive read the autolock you see in the screens is to lock when you start moving. Not after the car is closed.