MXGOLF

Software upgrade

I did the hard reset a few weeks after the PCM update with no negative effects. You restart the EV+ location learning sequence which isn't too bad.

It doesn't sound like you need the hard reset your FFH is doing just fine! Congrats.

I just filled up today after the first full tank of gas after I did the hard reset and only got 37.2 mpg on this tank which is about the same as my indicated lifetime average. The computer indicated using 11.7 gallons of gas = 40.6 mpg, while the actual usage was 12.8 gallons = 37.2 mpg. I drove it really easily (65 mph max on the highway) for the first 300 miles after the hard reset and my tank results are no better than before the reset. I noticed something frustrating today on the last two gallons of fuel in the tank. I was in a hurry to visit a customer and drove the car at 74 mph on the highway 35 miles each way. On the way home during the last 15 miles or so (which is just slightly down hill), I noticed the instant mpg was hovering around 42 mpg at 74 mph when a couple of days ago it was reading around 54 mpg in that same area at 65 mph. I slowed down to 65 and the fuel mileage only increased from 42 to around 44 today in the same area where I was getting 54 a few days earlier. Both trips were with the AC off and no noticeable wind. I can't figure out why I would get 10 mpg difference in the same stretch of road unless the car relearned it's gas guzzling habits during the previous 50 or so miles at 74 mpg vs. the previous 300 miles at 65 mph. Any thoughts?

Edited by Boat Racer

It was 25* this morning, and I can say the upgrade has made a difference with ICE functions. The other car would start the ice no matter if everything was off or not when it was below 30*. This morning I pulled out of my driveway on EV and the Ice only kicked on when I gave it more throttle like it did when it is 70* out. Couldn't say if EV kicks in sooner when ICE is running since I tend to not use EV for at least 5 miles or more because I found I get better MPG on these roads on ICE than bouncing between EV and ICE.

Looks promising too. 25* and still managed to get 45 MPG.

Looks promising too. 25* and still managed to get 45 MPG.

Thats Great, hoping to see some what better results this winter than last. Always expect a MPG hit with colder temps, but hopfully the new software will help.

Still too early to tell if there is a big difference, mainly because winter blend hasnt arrived yet, at least that I dont know of yet. If it has, 3 MPG drop isnt bad at all.

I have been reading all the posts on the PCM upgrades and I am really leery to have it done. I average about 40-43 mpg but I really work for that. I drive like granny. I think I will wait and see if ford gets better and more consistent in their upgrading of the Fusion hybrids. I can go into EV at 64 mph without the upgrade. Still slow though. Like I said, I am driving like granny.

I will not even have the option to upgrade, or not. It is my understanding that the '14's come with the upgrade baked in. So I guess I will not know the difference.

Edited by Toz

After a few months with the upgrade still no major change with my mileage. I drive like a grandma, no speeding and still only 35-37 mpg. Lame. I did get a lemon and am very upset still. I shouldn't be but 10-12 mpg difference when lots or most are getting EPA :censored: . Just updating my frustration with Ford.

I will not even have the option to upgrade, or not. It is my understanding that the '14's come with the upgrade baked in. So I guess I will not know the difference.

That is correct, the 2014's come with the updated software from the start.

After a few months with the upgrade still no major change with my mileage. I drive like a grandma, no speeding and still only 35-37 mpg. Lame. I did get a lemon and am very upset still. I shouldn't be but 10-12 mpg difference when lots or most are getting EPA :censored: . Just updating my frustration with Ford.

I asked this before but I don't think you answered: does your FFH go into EV mode at speeds above 65 mph?

Also, how often do you dirve with the Climate on Auto and what is your average Brake Score?

Edited by B25Nut

It's been 3 weeks since my upgrade, & I still have no EV+ functionality. Does the upgrade remove it permanently?

(I'm aware that enabling it is controversial. I can live without it, but I'm still curious about where it went.)

It's been 3 weeks since my upgrade, & I still have no EV+ functionality. Does the upgrade remove it permanently?

(I'm aware that enabling it is controversial. I can live without it, but I'm still curious about where it went.)

Mine was back for home 2-3 days later, and work was back a couple days after that... check through your menus, I think there's a place to enable/disable, make sure it's enabled (if you want it).

I do not think it's accurate to say most are getting EPA. If you look at Fuelly, you will see most are not close to EPA. There are many factors in getting great fuel mileage. I am getting my best mileage to date on current tank , 45 MPG according to computer, but probably closer to 43 real MPGs. This is with no A/C, as weather has been great lately. But everyones commute is different. I find it very difficult to get EPA in Houston inner city, which is where I live, but I am still happy with my mileage. On road trips, my mileage is way off EPA. I would have a hard time getting mileage below 40 MPGs with my normal commute. But i would be happy with the mileage you are getting on road trips. That being said, it is entirely possible there is something off with your car. Acdii is proof of that.

Just for the heck of it, stop driving it granny style. Try keeping it out of EV above 45 MPH and seeing if you can get the SOC above 80% and see if MPG improves any. I had to do this on the "other" car at the end before getting rid of it, saw a slight improvement, but not enough to warrant keeping it. I do believe you got one just like I had.

talking to my service guy its the ethanol gas here that's the main problem. Oregon is one of the worst states for ethanol added gas. bad normal then worst in the winter with more added. I am going to try a few tanks of non-ethanol next. ford would not even look at my plugs because the computer did not throw a code. weak. 7500 miles and no change in mileage.

I check the shutter operation after up date and found that shutters don't open until 210degrees slow speed and 215degrees high speeds. They use to open at 190degrees and would explain why an improvement at HWY speeds and not city. I assume FFH is same as CMAX.

Paul

My trips to So. Calif. before the update got at best 38.7 mpg. My first trip post update this past weekend got 43.8 mpg. My speed varied from 65 to 78 mph, with an average of probably 73 mph. At least 8 times I had to go into the #3 or #4 lanes of the freeway to pass slower traffic in the #1 & #2 fast lanes. I felt like I was driving an Audi A8. It was a good feeling at one time to be following behind a late model Corvette going 73 mph while I was in all EV mode.

I'm pretty disappointed with the update and would go back if I could.

At cruising speed (68-70) I used to get a hair about 40mpg instant. Now, the ICE at cruising shows 25mpg instant OR the hybrid kicks-in and I go straight to 999mpg. I am getting a net-loss of about 3 mpg. I also noticed the batteries are "used-up" at highways speeds and less is left for when I'm off the interstate and closer to my destination.

Anyone else w/ the same symptoms? Will the hard reset help? Have any users been able to revert to the old mileage algorithm?

I'm pretty disappointed with the update and would go back if I could.

Anyone else w/ the same symptoms? Will the hard reset help? Have any users been able to revert to the old mileage algorithm?

Those were my feelings after the PCM update, and no, you can't revert to the prior software version.

In my case, doing the 100% SOC Hard Reset and then babying the car for a few hundred miles to let it re-learn hybrid driving techniques made a very positive improvement.

As far as anyone has reported the Hard Reset has not made things worse, it's been the same mpg's or better mpg's.

My choice was to do it and I am happy with the results.

You might consider giving it a try, it only takes 30 minutes or so to do.

• Use all proper safety precautions when dealing with batteries, etc. (Legal lingo)

The weather has been super cold the past two weeks and my mileage has gotten worse. I even am working on a tank of ethanol free gas too. :( 34.7 mpg on this tank. Frustrated to say the least.

The weather has been super cold the past two weeks and my mileage has gotten worse. I even am working on a tank of ethanol free gas too. :( 34.7 mpg on this tank. Frustrated to say the least.

Mark - Have you tried going and test driving another FFH at a local dealer to compare? If you have a commute where you consistently get poor MPGs then I'd recommend test driving another new FFH along that same route to see how the test drive car performs. This will help you to see if there is an issue with your car or if the issue is something else (gas, routes, driving patterns, etc). We got fed up with the issues with our car combined with the features we didn't buy initially which we then regretted cheaping out on. So check out what we ended up doing in this thread. Perhaps you could do something similar without taking too much of a loss. Right now there are big incentives on the remaining 2013 hybrids. Job 2 cars seem to have minimal issues. The feel is very much improved in our new Job 2 2013 FFH. There is a noticeable difference in the exterior trim quality and interior trim quality.