LEM

BLIS stays on for a while on the right side.

I have heard that certain RF devices can interfere with BLIS and CTA. A dirty lower rear fender can cause problems. There also have been true faults with the systems. My 2010 mirror coverage is complete and I seldom look at the BLIS. I use the CTA all the time and I don't know what I'd do without it as most of my parking is nose in between SUVs. It gives some false positive warnings. I love it.

My NHTSA complaint is here;

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResultsByUrlCode.action?referenceSearch.requestId=68961&referenceSearch.urlCode=O0QVM126XKMRXBA

Ford is selling BLIS as a safety enhancement which is clearly doesn't not enhance in my case. Maybe this is more a case for the FTC for false advertising a product that doesn't work reliably.

I am actually able to duplicate the problem pretty easily and showed the dealer. They give me the speech how I need some sort of error or fault. Basically the car needs to say my sensor is bad. It's horrible that mechanics now cannot fix something unless the car tells them to even though they can see the issue. I was told to go to another dealer of a second opinion. It's a shame because this is the only issue as of now that I have with the car and this is my first Ford, will be my last if I can't get this fixed at some point. Right now I am just dealing with it by shutting it off.

Oh and it works almost 100% correctly when it's raining. Can anyone figure that puzzle out?

I performed some troubleshooting on my own and informed the dealer of my test methodology. The error detection system is probably built into the BLIS module and delivers any messages to the CAN bus so the central controller can display and capture any codes thrown by the module.

According to the owners manual any degradation in the sensors ability to detect objects within the radar sensing path should warn the driver. I taped a piece of tin foil directly over the sensor and drove through medium traffic to see if the sensor can detect signal degradation and notify the driver. As I suspected the BLIS sensor never detects any problems with its operation. This indicates 2 possible scenarios;

1. Ford had difficulty with the reliability of the BLIS error detection and disabled it in the controller.

2. The sensor on the right rear side is defective and not capable of detecting if it actually works or not and so no error code.

Scenario 1 is an issue for NHTSA similar to the VW case

Scenario 2 means they just need to replace the sensor

Edited by darrelld

Dealer swapped my right rear BLIS module to see if that fixes the problem. Will report back in a few days to let everyone know if this is now resolved.

They did inform me the module cost is $1100.00, good to get this completed under warranty.

Edited by darrelld

Did yours have any error codes coming up for them to approve this or they finally caved in?

I never got any error, the dealer decided to swap my module with a car they had in stock to prove the problem to Ford. On my drive to and from work yesterday and today it has worked flawlessly. I am to report back to the dealership of a successful fix and they will take it from there.

Big thumbs up to Five Star Ford Plano for taking care of this.

Yeah keep me updated because I am going insane with this whole issue and I just want the sensor replaced and hate getting backlash from the dealer I go to and Ford which they both gave the same answer. I understand that they don't want to be replacing parts that might not be bad but I brought it in too many times for the same issue which goes nowhere.

The only thing I could suggest is file directly with Ford Customer Service and file a complaint with NHTSA. Once your NHTSA complaint goes live in about a day you send them a copy of the complaint directly from the NHTSA web site. The BLIS sensor on the right side seems to have a factory defect and the only way Ford will address it is through NHTSA apparently. In my case the dealer took care of this but the primary problem seems to come from Ford Corporate red tape. NHTSA can cut through red tape like no one else and a defective blind spot sensor is definitely a safety issue.

Mine is the driver side though. Passenger works great actually. Well I already talked to a Ford Rep so that is filed. I guess next is what you said and to file one with NHTSA.

Once NHTSA goes live, then who am I sending the complaint to though? Back to Ford? It seems anyone can file one so it is strange to me why Ford would respond differently.

NHTSA registers your VIN number with a specific safety complaint. The motivation from Ford is to handle silently rather than have the embarrassment and publicity of a NHTSA investigation and possible forced recall if it goes that far. Ford doesn't seem to have any motivation at this point to do anything.

The ongoing BLIS problem is why I ended up with a Subaru Outback instead of considering a Ford Edge.

Edited by darrelld

Update:

Completed the work week with daily driving in heavy traffic and the BLIS is now working perfectly after the module replacement. Dealer is to call on Monday to confirm the fix.

Good luck to everyone in seeking a solution.

Congrats on getting it fixed. Would it be possible to write down or scan what was written on the repair log that you sign at the end? Such as parts that were ordered that needed to be replaced to get BLIS working properly again. I need as much information if I am ever going to get this replaced. You gave me some hope in getting this fixed without an error code.

They never gave me anything to followup on my original complaint. I was requested to return my vehicle to the dealership after I filed my complaint with Ford Customer Service and everything from that point was handled by phone. They told me the right rear BLIS module was replaced from a stock vehicle as a trial. After my week long trial where I confirmed the problem as fixed over the phone and the matter was considered closed. They did say the module listed for 1100.00 and they had to pull the rear bumper to replace it.

So after months of complaining and getting nowhere (also pushing this issue aside), I finally reached out to Ford. I did one of those "Contact Us" which would have you fill out a few questions and send out an email which I received no response for 2 weeks. I then sent a message on Facebook and had a response within the hour. Someone then called me a couple days later and asked all the basics questions on what the issue is and when does it happen. I informed him that I have been through this route and even had a field service technician go to the dealership and drive the car 80 miles last year for them to come up with "can not replicate". He said he will get in touch with the dealership to get more information and get back to me.

The next day he emails me saying the dealership is well aware of my issue and the next step is to have a mechanic in my car to see the problem happen. I provided many videos of the BLIS system acting up but Ford will not take that as proof of an issue. So finally yesterday I went over to the dealership and drove the mechanic around. I was hesitant because as everyone knows, when you are ready to show a technician/mechanic a problem, it won't happen. I was lucky enough to have a few mild incidents of the BLIS system missing a couple cars and staying on 3-5 seconds longer than it should so he said there is something not right. I loved that he asked the service manager "What was the point of me in the car? Just to say I see it?".

During the car ride, I had a chat with him on how does the BLIS system actually work. I thought the 4 back sensors helped locate if the car is in a blind spot. He said those 4 sensors are only for Cross Traffic while in reverse. There are two modules behind the rear bumper to control each side. While i knew this info, I didn't actually know the modules had the sonar detection in them, I thought it was just a controller.

So they gave me a loaner and I just received a call that they placed an order with Ford for the replacement module and will program it when they get it in. Crossing fingers that this mess will finally be put to rest.

Good luck, my issue has never returned since they replaced the module. Its really far more hassle than it should be to get Ford to honor warranty issues like this. My module never worked from the day I drove the car from the dealer lot and Ford Corporate refused to do anything without an error code which a dead module will never produce. I haven't had any other problems with the car other than this expensive option I paid for that never worked for 2 years.

The BLIS and CTA are radar and are in the rear fenders. The ultrasonic "buttons" in the bumper are the back-up warning, a separate system. A very dirty fender can cause problems.