LEM

BLIS stays on for a while on the right side.

This never happens on the left. Sometimes, when a car passes me on the right, the light stays on from 5 to 10 seconds after the car left.

Has anybody had this problem?

Thanks.

All the time. Mine will come on when going down the road and the grass is too tall, or passing over a bridge. It picks up echos from the shoulder.

That's good to know, thanks. So you don't think it could be a bad sensor?

It happens to me also. Sometimes when I'm on one lane roads the left side as well as the right will give a false signal. False signals are covered in the owners manual.

Mine warns me about my hedge every time I back out of the garage. I am certain the hedge isn't moving.

:)

Mine alerts me to garbage cans, the car port, the garage, the trees. But the other day did not warn me about the car that had just gone past after I put it in reverse. I guess you have to be actively moving a bit before it will do that.

Mine warns me about my hedge every time I back out of the garage. I am certain the hedge isn't moving.

Those hedges can be dangerous, ;)

Mine alerts me to garbage cans, the car port, the garage, the trees. But the other day did not warn me about the car that had just gone past after I put it in reverse. I guess you have to be actively moving a bit before it will do that.

I think the CTA is activated in "R".

I think the CTA is activated in "R".

It is, but I think it has a slight delay before it kicks in. It didnt warn about the car that was in range when I had just put it in reverse, it may have been on the edge of detection. I saw the car in the camera when it came on.

This never happens on the left. Sometimes, when a car passes me on the right, the light stays on from 5 to 10 seconds after the car left.

Has anybody had this problem?

Thanks.

I'm assuming that if a car passes you on the right and the light stays on that there is an open right lane beside you. If this is true, the light should not stay on if there is nothing in your blind spot in the lane to your right. Does the light ever fail to light for a car in your right blind spot?

The right BLIS should not get tripped by stuff that is not in the lane to your immediate right. It should also turn off immediately upon the vehicle passing out of your blind spot. As others have stated, guard rails will sometimes trigger the right hand BLIS if they are a distance from the car equivalent to being in an adjacent lane.

When I first got my FFH it had a similar problem of phantom BLIS lights, but with the left side BLIS. The service tech was convinced it was the radar sensor in the mirror causing the problem and replaced the mirror. It wasn't until the mirror had been replaced twice and the problem still existed that I was able to convince the tech that the mirror's sensor couldn't be the problem that instead the problem had to be with the radar sensor in the back quarter panel. Before Ford authorized my dealer to replace the back radar sensor, they made my dealer run a full diagnostic on the BLIS system to validate that there wasn't another issue elsewhere in the system. The back radar sensor did indeed turn out to be the problem, which meant the replacing of the mirror was wholly unnecessary. I really wish the dealer had run the full diagnostic from the beginning and so do they since replacing of the mirror the second time was on their dime because the first replacement mirror had been painted incorrectly.

The incorrect assumption as to which sensor was bad led to a whole series of unnecessary follow up visits including work that still has to be done to replace damaged door trim pieces that now keep falling out. Had they run a full diagnostic on the BLIS system from the beginning, they would have saved me four visits to the shop.

My advice is don't let the dealer assume they know which sensor is bad, especially don't let them replace the mirror assembly unless they have run a full diagnostic on the BLIS system and have confirmed what part of the system is faulty. If they replace the mirror assembly, they get a unpainted mirror from Ford, which then has to be painted to match your car. Make sure the mirror is painted correctly BEFORE they install it (mine wasn't). They then have to remove the interior door panel in order unbolt the mirror from the door. When they do this, the service tech will invariably break plastic tabs that secure the black door trim piece behind the door lever and they will screw up the black plastic bezel on the door handle where all the switches are. Both of these pieces will then have to be replaced (that is what now has to be fixed on my FFH), so make sure they have spares in stock BEFORE they start disassembling your door.

The rear radar sensor is a lot easier to replace. All they have to do is put the car on the lift and detach the sensor from the back side of the back quarter panel. It is really easy to see and detach.

My cross traffic sensor frequently warns me about my wife's car (which is parked and not moving) when I'm backing out of my garage quite frequently.

My drivers side BliS on my 2014 Fusion Hybrid doesn't seem to be working. It's inconsistent in whether or not it will go off when a car is passing me or just stay on when there is no car on my left. I've now taken it to the dealer 3 times and they can't find the problem after doing diagnostics, calling Ford and taking it out for a test drive. Their last chance to address this issue is coming up when I go for a drive with them to show them what I'm experiencing. Maybe its user error but I have witnesses who have seen the system not working as its supposed to. Does anyone have any advice besides take the car to another Ford dealer? That's my fall back plan. Thanks.

My drivers side BliS on my 2014 Fusion Hybrid doesn't seem to be working. It's inconsistent in whether or not it will go off when a car is passing me or just stay on when there is no car on my left. I've now taken it to the dealer 3 times and they can't find the problem after doing diagnostics, calling Ford and taking it out for a test drive. Their last chance to address this issue is coming up when I go for a drive with them to show them what I'm experiencing. Maybe its user error but I have witnesses who have seen the system not working as its supposed to. Does anyone have any advice besides take the car to another Ford dealer? That's my fall back plan. Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum!

In your behalf I've sent a message to our Forum Ford Customer Service Rep. You will be contacted soon.

Driving besides medians with shrubbery or high curbs or dirty lower rear fenders can cause this also.

I am having the same issue with no fix. I have taken to the dealer 3 maybe 4 times already and they say everything is fine. I let them road test it(90 miles) and they said they could not reproduce the problem or get an error. I pull out of the dealership and within a few minutes can see the driver side sensor staying on or not going on at all. Works correctly about half the time.

I have a case with Ford but keep getting the speech that since everything passes and the car has no error, that it can not be approved to replace anything. I showed them videos of it acting up on top of it which they all agree (dealer and reps) that they can see something is wrong. It is crazy that they are treating the car as a "person" and if the car says it is fine then nothing gets fixed.

I don't know where to do at this point. It bothered me so much that I just shut the system off completely. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know where to do at this point. It bothered me so much that I just shut the system off completely. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you can recreate the problem yourself, then ask your service department if a technician can ride along with you so that you can demonstrate the problem. I have done this on multiple occasions with my service department.

If you can recreate the problem yourself, then ask your service department if a technician can ride along with you so that you can demonstrate the problem. I have done this on multiple occasions with my service department.

I have done that and they saw it acting up. I still received the same speech after they took it in that there are no codes so they can't touch anything. They also test drove it around even after I have with them and it was fine when their mechanics drove it. I turned it on this weekend and it worked fine so some days it will be horrible and some will be fine. I seem to notice in rain, it works perfectly.

When I get some time i'll probably bring it to another dealership for a second opinion.

Wow. I am so glad I stuck with the standard mirrors and not BLIS after seeing this thread. The false signals would drive me to distraction. Makes note to self ... no BLIS nxt car either.

Wow. I am so glad I stuck with the standard mirrors and not BLIS after seeing this thread. The false signals would drive me to distraction. Makes note to self ... no BLIS nxt car either.

Yeah it is a big distraction and I am OCDing about it now and always looking. You would think if the dealership sees it acting up then they would try to fix something but I guess it is not that easy. The Ford rep closed my ticket since the dealership said it is working as it should.

Here is a video I took which clearly shows when it is acting up. Yes I showed the rep and dealership which isn't enough.

https://youtu.be/rwgrx31phBs

You have not seen anything yet. Wait until self driving cars hit the roads. There will be no end to these types of intermittent malfunctions that will drive owners crazy.

If you avoid buying something because once or twice in a million it doesn't work, seems like there would be nothing on the market to buy.

The BLIS in my wife's 2010 MKT works just fine, as it has in at least 30 other Ford vehicles I've driven with it. Unfortunately as with everything mass produced, there are always some that won't work, but that small percentage is no reason to avoid buying something you might otherwise want.

If you avoid buying something because once or twice in a million it doesn't work, seems like there would be nothing on the market to buy.

The BLIS in my wife's 2010 MKT works just fine, as it has in at least 30 other Ford vehicles I've driven with it. Unfortunately as with everything mass produced, there are always some that won't work, but that small percentage is no reason to avoid buying something you might otherwise want.

My initial decision to avoid BLIS was because I was familiar with the standard mirror arrangement from owning a Fiesta. Properly adjusted I can have virtually no blind spots so my thought was "why buy this when I can have success with the base setup?" Since then I have toyed with getting it on the next car, and I can cope with it reporting hedges and the like ... but the possibility of the electronic fluff at the wrong time just doesn't sit well with me. These cars are already techno-marvels ... why add more potential for pain?

BLIS on my 2014 Fusion Titanium has not worked correctly since delivery. This week it returned from Five Star Ford of Plano for the 3rd time without a fix.

I filed a formal complaint with NHTSA regarding this safety issue. Non BLIS equipped Fusions come with a blind spot mirror and BLIS systems do not. Safety problem occurs when the BLIS systems do not work correctly and you have no manual means such as the blind spot mirror to fall back on.

I would encourage everyone with the malfunctioning BLIS to file a complaint with NHTSA here; https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Video I made clearly demonstrates the problem;

I sent my dealer a video on how to fix the problem;

My daughter has 2017 Volt arriving next week and I will compare how well Fords system works vs Chevy.

Edited by darrelld

My initial decision to avoid BLIS was because I was familiar with the standard mirror arrangement from owning a Fiesta. Properly adjusted I can have virtually no blind spots so my thought was "why buy this when I can have success with the base setup?" Since then I have toyed with getting it on the next car, and I can cope with it reporting hedges and the like ... but the possibility of the electronic fluff at the wrong time just doesn't sit well with me. These cars are already techno-marvels ... why add more potential for pain?

I have BLIS on my 2016 Subaru Outback and it works perfectly, I believe its a problem with Fords implementation that's the problem. When you think of Ford and advanced technology you think of Microsoft Sync.

Edited by darrelld

BLIS on my 2014 Fusion Titanium has not worked correctly since delivery. This week it returned from Five Star Ford of Plano for the 3rd time without a fix.

I filed a formal complaint with NHTSA regarding this safety issue. Non BLIS equipped Fusions come with a blind spot mirror and BLIS systems do not. Safety problem occurs when the BLIS systems do not work correctly and you have no manual means such as the blind spot mirror to fall back on.

I would encourage everyone with the malfunctioning BLIS to file a complaint with NHTSA here; https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Video I made clearly demonstrates the problem;

I sent my dealer a video on how to fix the problem;

My daughter has 2017 Volt arriving next week and I will compare how well Fords system works vs Chevy.

I have the same issue for the most part that you have in your video but on the driver side. The other video you posed shows a fault message when he starts the car. I wish mine did that since I could get it repaired with no issue. My car doesn't say anything is wrong even though the system messes up more than half the time. I had to shut it off since it's bad but I want this damn thing fixed.

I have the same issue for the most part that you have in your video but on the driver side. The other video you posed shows a fault message when he starts the car. I wish mine did that since I could get it repaired with no issue. My car doesn't say anything is wrong even though the system messes up more than half the time. I had to shut it off since it's bad but I want this damn thing fixed.

I emailed Ford Customer service and this quote sums up their reply.

"Please note that Ford Motor Company’s engineering department will not allow, in most cases, a repair to a vehicle unless one of the following occurs: (a) the dealer is able to duplicate the concern or (b) there is a trouble code found in the vehicle’s computer system. At this time, since the dealership has not been able to duplicate your concern, we would recommend that you test drive with either the technician, shop foreman or service manager of the dealership so that the concern with the vehicle can be duplicated for them.

Please advise how you would like to proceed."

Edited by darrelld