hybridbear

Ford fuel efficiency update guinea pig testers

I wonder if the individual threads can be listed as a sub topic under this thread to keep them in order. Might want to see if Robert can set this up.

I am scheduled for the update and oil change next Wednesday. I have a 150 mile return trip from the dealer to do, so I should see, barring any head or tail winds, if an improvement is the order of the day.

I don't know if disconnecting the battery is part of their update process (probably not, but you never know)... just want to point out the below from the Owner's Manual, to prevent someone from getting the update and immediately thinking that the update and/or the dealer really jacked things up when in fact it could be the below activity?

If you disconnect the battery, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics for approximately 5 miles (8 kilometers) after you reconnect it. This is because the engine management system must realign itself with the engine. You can disregard any unusual driving characteristics during this period.

Edited by jeff_h

Well they do wipe and reload the computer, so most likely all trip information may also get wiped out.

Oh I hope not, I would hate for trip one to be reset, it is still in sync with my Odometer.

Wonder if Ford will brag about this software upgrade or try to keep it lokey ?

It just got finished being installed on my car this morning, so I'll report back what I observe. I'm pretty methotical with my driving and drive the same route (100mi round trip) three days a week, so I already have good bench marks to go with.

I'm back from the dealer and running other errands. The new PCM software is supposedly installed (don't know how to verify). Nothing to report yet about performance changes as I haven't driven enough yet. However, I can happily report that this update did NOT reset the tripometers. Both trip 1 and trip 2 were basically as I left them plus whatever driving the shop did. Also all my settings were as I left them. Only different screens were displayed, which was to be expected if the mechanic had to go to different screens.